Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
6:05 am PDT. I was out for my morning walk. I was walking due east. Something overhead caught my attention. From a point on the horizon directly west of me, pointing ENE, was a line of "lights", certainly over 50 but likely some hundreds, pretty steady stream but clumped up, not evenly spaced. Moving fast, crossing the sky faster than a plane by a lot, faster than a satellite unless it was really low. No vapor trail so probably outside of atmosphere.

Has anyone heard anything about us losing a satellite? Seemed too many things in too straight a line for a wad o' space rocks.

Just curious. Not seeing anything on any news.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another starlink thread

Yay!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Starlink....... I have seen them.

Google it look at the images

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My biggest question is, TOM< what are you doing up that early?!

How long did they last? Did they just go all the way across the horizon until out of sight, like a sustained flight, or like something "coming down"?

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/17/21.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rocky, prepare the Elon Musk 4,000 word cut-n-paste

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Rocky, prepare the Elon Musk 4,000 word cut-n-paste

He would get excited if they were sending up starlink black lab puppies.

They don't reflect as much.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ones we saw in December went from the horizon straight up and disappeared almost straight overhead. They'll shine in the sunlight but when they enter the earth's shadow, they go dark.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2

How long did they last? Did they just go all the way across the horizon until out of sight, like a sustained flight, or like something "coming down"?

I'm almost always up that early ... or earlier if there's hunting or fishing to do. Usually get up at 5:00. If the weather is good, go for a walk, otherwise reload ammo 'til it's time for work.

I would guess sustained flight or "pass by". No sign of them interacting with atmosphere. A while later, on a different course, there was a pretty bright satellite. These were brighter and crossing the sky 3-5 times as fast.

I may have lowballed the guess on numbers. The last were just coming into sight over the horizon to the west when the leading edge was past overhead, maybe 2/3 of the way from west to east. They faded out before crossing the horizon .. probably angle of the sun. There were no big gaps in the stream but it was not even and there were clumps of maybe a dozen here or there, so .. probably well into the hundreds. They didn't all seem to be the same size or brightness.

My first impression was debris, not something organized.

Beats me.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Musk zoomies...
Sounds pretty cool.
West to east
So they are going faster than the Dragon capsule and faster than the earth's rotation.

I think they are supposed to be geostationary when in position. So apparently they carry a fair bit of juice with them...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I'm almost always up that early ... or earlier if there's hunting or fishing to do. Usually get up at 5:00. If the weather is good, go for a walk, otherwise reload ammo 'til it's time for work.

I would guess sustained flight or "pass by". No sign of them interacting with atmosphere. A while later, on a different course, there was a pretty bright satellite. These were brighter and crossing the sky 3-5 times as fast.

I may have lowballed the guess on numbers. The last were just coming into sight over the horizon to the west when the leading edge was past overhead, maybe 2/3 of the way from west to east. They faded out before crossing the horizon .. probably angle of the sun. There were no big gaps in the stream but it was not even and there were clumps of maybe a dozen here or there, so .. probably well into the hundreds. They didn't all seem to be the same size or brightness.

My first impression was debris, not something organized.

Beats me.
These were faster because they were much lower. Soon they'll move themselves to a much higher orbit where you'll never see them. I've read that they're launched 60 at a time. There are about 1000 of them in orbit now and about 1500 more planned. Possibly they've started to move higher and the cluster was breaking up. It's part of Starlink's plans to offer high speed internet anywhere on the globe.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom- yeah got more than one of us excited. I actually called Sherriff's department a day or two later. They called back and gave me a definition after they discovered it. Seeing it is enough to make one consider we actually really did land on the moon.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...der-starlink-launch-tonight#Post15879950

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The ones we saw in December went from the horizon straight up and disappeared almost straight overhead. They'll shine in the sunlight but when they enter the earth's shadow, they go dark.

This.

Just like the 3 UFO'S that came over me and Larry "Buck" Wright early one October day in 1966 just before daylight while we sat up in a big mesquite tree with our modern recurve bows and microflight arrows anticipating the magic of a cool, moist Gulf of Mexico sea breeze and buckbrush smell laden dawn over the South Texas brush country, along with our hopes of soon to be seen big bucks and the excitement they would bring us while just up the coast from Corpus Christi, not imagining the mysterious magic that would soon to be revealed or the fear and excitement it would bring.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/17/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This.

Just like the 3 UFO'S that came over me and Larry "Buck" Wright about 1967 just before daylight while we sat up in a big mesquite tree with our bows and arrows anticipating the magic of a cool, moist Gulf of Mexico sea breeze dawn over the South Texas brush country along with hopes of soon to be seen big bucks and the excitement they would bring us just up the coast from Corpus Christi, not imagining the magic that would soon to be revealed or the fear and excitement it would bring.

Peyote or shrooms?

😃

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm glad it was nothing too bad. The way the "lights" were somewhat clumped reminded me of .. debris. And I was thinking of the Columbia disaster.

I wonder if rather than Starlink it should be called Skynet.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Never did drugs and back them just touching a "pizen" mushroom accidently and then eating an apple would kill your as dead as a doornail, mister.

That was the Saturday before the Sunday Corpus Christi Caller covered with the headlines about all the early Saturday morning flights into and out of the airport reporting about all the aitline pilots having seen the 3 UFOs.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/17/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Never did drugs.

Hmmm, well was there a trailer park nearby? lol

Tornadoes and UFOs visit there often

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Starlink for sure. As mentioned above, they are launched 60 at a time to a low altitude, and then each one maneuvers to a higher (and invisible) altitude of about 340 miles. The next batch is now set to go up March 22. They'll be launching them two to three times a month for the foreseeable future. They need about 2,000 of them to get global internet service, but they are designed to be short-lived so they can be replaced with improved models as the technology improves. They also de-orbit themselves when they're done and burn up completely.

The new ones to come will talk to each other via lasers, reducing or eliminating the need for ground "repeater" stations entirely and allowing for total ocean and airliner coverage.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand the new ones will be anti-reflective too so less of these reports.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.