Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Be very nice to your anesthesiologist and get the nerve block. IIRC it is injected into the thigh. You'll enjoy the best two or three days after that with minimum of drugs. And it really helps you get started on PT. I had Oxy left over but I'm not real pain sensitive. It's only pain.

This! Mine TKR was bi-lateral so I had a nerve block in each thigh. Poly type needles that you self remove when pump runs dry. It sets you on the right path for pt and really knocks the edge off the pain initially, when you need it most. Really just worked hard in pt and flexion was125 when I started outpatient therapy. You can do this and be great!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, a femoral nerve block with a catheter placed near the nerve before surgery but for a continual infusion during surgery and for 2-3 days. We had great results with them.

But they require a little extra time with ultrasound, or a nerve stimulator to place, and more skill — the nerve can be hard to locate especially in those with a little extra weight, and then infusion strength must walk the line between making the quads too weak so the patient can’t walk or even stand — not good — or not giving enough pain relief.

But, when all these demands can be met, the pain relief is the best.

https://youtu.be/tMy978ZwaDU

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 03/16/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I remember right, my nerve block was 2 really big needles, one went in the back of my knee, don't remember the other, but might have been spinal. They put fall risk bracelet on then as well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do PT.

Enjoy the pain.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go to a good rehab facility. My guy has experience with pro, collegiate and Olympic athletes. He was hard core. I worked hard, like come home and crash for 2 hours hard. He was 5' 4" and 140# but when he approached my table to manipulate my knee my palms would sweat. Knee rehab therapy is true sweat equity. If you aren't breaking a sweat you ain't gettin' anywhere. I had my TKR on 5-9-18 at 61 years old. I got back on the motocross track in September. When I told my PT I wanted to ride, He said no, I'd like to get your leg a little stronger. I thought that was pretty cool.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I 've had both knees replaced,do the P.T. as directed,thats the most important thing.It will determine how well you move later on.First couple of days are a little rough,after that you ll be fine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I 've had both knees replaced,do the P.T. as directed,thats the most important thing.It will determine how well you move later on.First couple of days are a little rough,after that you ll be fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Another thing that helps. A good dog to get you through it. This guy kept me company, every day:

3 days post surgery.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3 weeks post surgery:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

you have a dog, right? wink

I have a wide selection available. Ten to be precise.

You should recover nicely then! cool

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Although Uncle Alvah asked for Y'alls advice, I wish to thank you for sharing your stories. I too am in the market for TKR......was just at my OS office two weeks ago to tell him I finally agree to the surgery....and he said he couldn't do it.....said he is retiring in May so wouldn't perform the surgery since he couldn't perform the aftercare. Now I have an appointment with a new Surgeon on April 14.....hopefully we can still make this happen in May sometime so that I can heal up enough before Storm season arrives.

I am told I need both knees done, but will start with the most painful one first.....and then as soon as practical, have the other knee operated on. Plan is to take my Son, Brother and Nephew on a Father/Son Elk hunt in the Fall of 2022......I want to be able to hike the mountains and enjoy it. Just turned 60 in December.....hopefully there's some life in me yet!

Thanks again!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m at one year on mine (50 now ) and I’ve got constant swelling in my knee, but I was not a typical replacement . I had 3 orthos tell me they’ve never seen a knee as bad as mine. They had to take a wedge and ran it between my ligaments and bone and scrape them to get proper tension on the implant because one had gotten shorter than the other.

I tore my ligaments playing football and the staple’s you see in the X-ray’s is how they reattached it when I was 16. I can straighten and bend my knee slightly past 90 deg, I know I could do more if the dam swelling would go away. I will say my knee pain is gone and I use to have a lot of back problems but that all gone to now that I’m straight now ( my left leg was 7/8 ‘s of a inch shorter than my right) But my docs said it can easily take a full year or longer go get back to 100%.

The nerve block is awesome but after it wore off I was in some pain and tolerated the pain meds for a few days then ditched them as I’d rather put up with the pain than feeling loopy on them . Best of luck

Attached Images
Last edited by colvin; 03/17/21.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Best bud had both his replaced at thanksgiving, he's back to golfing now.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good luck. Do the PT religiously and get on a stationary recumbent bike ASAP. The recumbent bike gave helped me get a better range of motion faster than walking.

The PT was painful on my knee replacement but very helpful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
frogman,

good to see a post from you. Hope all is well. I don't visit the good conversation thread much anymore and I probably miss your posts on other stuff in passing.

60? get them things done and go hunt elk with the family! Then post pics for sure! If you're like the majority of TKR patients, your going to be quite a happy man, especially if you've been living with knee pain for years like I did. The relief is amazing.

Just be aware, you'll now feel all the other things that weren't as obvious! shocked

Like "why do my knuckles hurt so much now? And my feet?)

Nah, you''ll do fine.

Last edited by Valsdad; 03/17/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Good luck. Do the PT religiously and get on a stationary recumbent bike ASAP. The recumbent bike gave helped me get a better range of motion faster than walking.

Great advice

Takes the weight off and specifically works those knees. Just have one’s PT adjust the seat for the right range.

R
RKJ Offline
R
I had the left knee done about 2 years ago and like everyone else has said it hurt, but now it's great, No pain I walk normal and don't have to worry about the knee giving out on me and dumping me on the ground, Do the PT. I would recommend going to the clinic instead of at home. I had a good at home PT nurse but I didn't push myself like I think I would have had I not been at my house.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had both of mine done about four years ago. They said it was a life changing surgery and they were right. Other than no jogging or jumping off of things I can walk, hike, climb ladders, and all that stuff like I did when I was a kid. Reading through all the posts on this thread you have all the good advice there is about what to do. Just be sure to do it...... all the way to the very end of PT and whatever else they tell you to do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Great advice

Takes the weight off and specifically works those knees. Just have one’s PT adjust the seat for the right range.

If the PT lady is really cute, it helps immensely if you're sitting in the seat while she adjusts it. Especially those seats with the lever between your legs.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I should have gotten a knee replacement years ago, but I didn't and won't now since it doesn't hurt any more or go out of joint. It's been bone on bone for over 40 years. I don't try to run but can walk up and down hills for exercise for an hour with no ill effects.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
frogman,

good to see a post from you. Hope all is well. I don't visit the good conversation thread much anymore and I probably miss your posts on other stuff in passing.

60? get them things done and go hunt elk with the family! Then post pics for sure! If you're like the majority of TKR patients, your going to be quite a happy man, especially if you've been living with knee pain for years like I did. The relief is amazing.

Just be aware, you'll now feel all the other things that weren't as obvious! shocked

Like "why do my knuckles hurt so much now? And my feet?)

Nah, you''ll do fine.

Truthfully.....i've been existing only by the grace of modern chemistry. Thankfully, the Opioids do their job and relieve my pain so that I can function and at least work, albeit I have to be wise about what I tackle. Finally made up my mind that it's time to do the surgery and then my Surgeon decides to retire, so I have to meet with a New Surgeon in April and go through the process again. Was hoping to have the Surgery in May and get it done before Storm season....

You should stop on down for a visit and say hello! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to see my knee doc today. I have been bone on bone for a long time, but now my right knee makes 3 clicking noises because things are popping off my knee cap.
Anyway he said he could put in a new one next week. So now I have to get the pre-op stuff done like cardio tests etc, and get ready for the PT time.
I guess now is a good time, it will give me time to get back in shape for hunting the fall.
Kinda getting real right now. Have to get a stationary bike, get some mulch down, and get the garden tilled before next week.
Thanks to all those that contributed, great to hear experiences.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.