Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've shot some tiny one-hole groups at 50 yards out of my 452 American and Lapua Pistol King ammo, but I make no bones about it, it was more accident than skill, especially with a cheap 3-9 scope on it. OTOH, I've got better scopes on other rifles and can't do any better than I can with that rig, usually a lot worse. That lot of Pistol King is long gone, sad to say. It IS a lot of fun trying to shoot tiny groups, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by m1919

Looks like a Fecker scope you have there gnoahhh. How do you like it compared to the Unertl and STS?

Have a few of the latter mounted up on 52s and older Annie's....but no Feckers

Some day

I like it as much as much as the others, based on my small collection of 2 Feckers, 2 Targetspots, and 3 Unertls. The Fecker is a bit easier to fine tune for parallax with said adjuster in the middle of the scope barrel, when sitting in position at the bench, instead of having to reach the whole way out to turn the objective bell. Very small convenience, admittedly.

Good to know. I spread the love for good optics.. modern and period

I enjoy the older externally adjustable sights for bench work.

I use to get a lot of grief for mounting em on the older target guns....but the tables have turned and others are following suit. (grin)

History lessons..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Looks like a Fecker scope you have there gnoahhh. How do you like it compared to the Unertl and STS?

Have a few of the latter mounted up on 52s and older Annie's....but no Feckers

Some day

I like it as much as much as the others, based on my small collection of 2 Feckers, 2 Targetspots, and 3 Unertls. The Fecker is a bit easier to fine tune for parallax with said adjuster in the middle of the scope barrel, when sitting in position at the bench, instead of having to reach the whole way out to turn the objective bell. Very small convenience, admittedly.

Good to know. I spread the love for good optics.. modern and period

I enjoy the older externally adjustable sights for bench work.

I use to get a lot of grief for mounting em on the older target guns....but the tables have turned and others are following suit. (grin)

History lessons..

Cool photo - nice to see youngsters enjoying the shooting sports!!

PennDog

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Thanks Dogg

It's all about the children. We find they take to it with the right lead. I know I did at that age.

Unfortunately one of them thinks she owns my Vudoo now...

Hope I don't have to get Jill on the phone for a replacement.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You won’t do it...

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wish I had one as a kid..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 30338
Nice shooting there. What ammo? Shots 9 and 10 start stressing me when I see that type group in scope lol.

338'

I didn't write it down or measure the targets but I believe it was Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match. The red circle is 1" and the white circle is 1/4.". Targets are custom made...30 opportunities per sheet

Unfortunately UM ihas been discontinued. It's the one premium ammo that performs very well in all my rifles.

The Vudoo also does well with Center X and Midas +

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Center x works very nice in my Vudoo.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Don Smith custom CZ 455 which carries on it a 20.5" Lilja barrel (I had it cut back from 24"). Found out on Friday evening I have been invited to compete in the NRL22 National Championships near Nehawka, NE, Memorial Day weekend. I have 1-1/2 bricks of it's favorite lot of Lapua Center X i've been saving along with a case of a recent lot of Center X I shoot in monthly and regional NRL22X matches. This morning the plan is to go to the range and shoot five 10-shot groups a 100 to see which one will go to Nebraska. I'll try and post pics later today.

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSSP
I have a Don Smith custom CZ 455 which carries on it a 20.5" Lilja barrel (I had it cut back from 24"). Found out on Friday evening I have been invited to compete in the NRL22 National Championships near Nehawka, NE, Memorial Day weekend. I have 1-1/2 bricks of it's favorite lot of Lapua Center X i've been saving along with a case of a recent lot of Center X I shoot in monthly and regional NRL22X matches. This morning the plan is to go to the range and shoot five 10-shot groups a 100 to see which one will go to Nebraska. I'll try and post pics later today.

Alan

Looking forward to the report.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Well, got to the range, it was decent conditions. Was able to shoot one group each lot # of Center X and it started snowing but the wind picked up and was blowing from 10-11 o'clock about 8-10 mph. Packed up and went home. Hope to go into work early and shoot the groups in our "100 right" indoor range before my swing shift starts.

Alan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Well, got to the range, it was decent conditions. Was able to shoot one group each lot # of Center X and it started snowing but the wind picked up and was blowing from 10-11 o'clock about 8-10 mph. Packed up and went home. Hope to go into work early and shoot the groups in our "100 right" indoor range before my swing shift starts.

Alan

How were the groups ?

She's gone shootin..
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Shot these a few hours ago, before my shift started. To my eye, the 2nd lot ending in 911 shot better even though, taking the entire group (flyers and all) in account, they both averaged 1.24". The first group from each lot was the center group. I hadn't started placing the front legs of the Atlas bipod against the window yet. Once I did, the groups settle down.

Alan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice shooting and a helluva nice range setup you got there!

She's gone shootin..
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Vasquez956
I will say, I have a 452 American that can shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards on windless days, with at least a 20x target scope, with its favorite lot of SK ammo and me doing my part pulling the trigger. It's been a while since I've taken it out but it did surprise me with its consistency when the stars aligned.

You are a Day Dreaming Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Laughing!..............

was this 2 seconds of self realization when your sobered up briefly any time recent?

asking for a friend....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will say, I have a 452 American that can shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards on windless days, with at least a 20x target scope, with its favorite lot of SK ammo and me doing my part pulling the trigger. It's been a while since I've taken it out but it did surprise me with its consistency when the stars aligned.

I would have to witness that to believe it. Maybe one lucky group out of a hundred was that good, but not consistently. Heck, groups that size could win a lot of benchrest competitions if you could do it consistently....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would have to witness that to believe it. Maybe one lucky group out of a hundred was that good, but not consistently. Heck, groups that size could win a lot of benchrest competitions if you could do it consistently....

Bob
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by gunzo
1/2" groups are possible at a 100 yards with a 22 LR even by me. I shot about 30 groups that day & this was the best, but several more hovered closely.

Folks that say it can't be done, may not have the necessary equipment. Or.......

Anschutz with a 36 Weaver, benched & bagged. Federal Gold Medal 900B ammo.

My best 50+ yard group, Wolf Match Target.

I don't think anyone said it couldn't be done-just that it isn't going to be done consistently. Occasional group-absolutely! 5- 5 shot groups that agg. under 1/2" at 100 yards with a .22 rf?-Hasn't been done yet,at least where targets were officially measured. I have shot a lot of BR-50,ARA and NBRSA group shoots,have sorted ammo every way imaginable,owned and shot Anschutz 54's and 2013's,Rem. 40x's,Win.52's and Calfee XP100's with factory and aftermarket barrels and don't recall seeing back to back 1/2" groups shot in competition,and I shot with some of the best rf shooter out there, albeit 20 years ago.

This is reality....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep... not throwing any shade at all on GSSP, but his results are much more realistic.
He was shooting with a custom rifle,very good ammo and most importantly, indoors

And his real world groups were 1 1/4ish

1/2” or less outdoors at 100 simply isn’t happening with any sort of consistency

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Got a Win. 69A that have had many years and with a Leupold 2 x 7 can kill crows all day at 100 to 115 yds if on a calm day. Easy to do if you can shoot.

O.B.Wallace
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Blueboy
Got a Win. 69A that have had many years and with a Leupold 2 x 7 can kill crows all day at 100 to 115 yds if on a calm day. Easy to do if you can shoot.
So that's my problem, I can't shoot!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.