Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm so glad I live in a place where I've never seen a tick, I hate those things.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
get out in the oakbrush this spring, and you will.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not big on turkey hunting. I'll be down on the cricks, fishing. Never seen any down there either, even on the dog.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
West side of the mountains here ain’t bad, east side can be pretty bad I guess. I’ve had a couple one in my neck, one in my nutsack, both after packin out bucks. Gonna try the application recommended here. Gonna be camped quite always outta town, don’t wanna mess with em. Thanks for all the advice. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Picadarin is nice too that it doesn't have the smell that DEET does. At least the Sawyer's brand.

He went over yonder way
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, joey, I know there are ticks here, never said there weren't.

Fact is, I've never seen one here, including on two dogs that have come and gone. You want to tell me different?

Great detective skills though, you rock dude.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The other ingredients in the mixture are not designed or suitable for clothing!" I have been treating clothing with no detrimental effects for years. Some may object to the slight smell that rapidly dissipates with drying. If that is objectionable use the 0.5% Sawyer solution which is totally oderless but much more expensive. Topical spray does not last very long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

Fact is, I've never seen one here, including on two dogs that have come and gone. You want to tell me different?

The "nymph" stage of most ticks are so small they are very difficult to detect. THAT could be why you have never detected them. Their tiny size belies their danger *IF* they are carrying disease.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have used it for many years... just spray your clothes and the ticks never make it to you...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobmn
The other ingredients in the mixture are not designed or suitable for clothing!" I have been treating clothing with no detrimental effects for years. Some may object to the slight smell that rapidly dissipates with drying. If that is objectionable use the 0.5% Sawyer solution which is totally oderless but much more expensive. Topical spray does not last very long.

ALL manufacturers indicate that the industrial and farm formulations should not be used on clothing even when diluted. The binding ingredients are a different petroleum derivative. The Sawyer's acts more like a dye to the fabric and becomes non-toxic to skin. The military infuses clothing with a formulation similar to the Sawyer's concentration.

Sawyer's lasts approx 42 days or 6 washings. Factory infused fabrics last much longer and is more stable over long periods of time. Sunlight WILL lower the effectiveness.

Further study will likely convince you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sawyer's carrier solvent is a synthetic kerosene CAS # 64742-47-8 which is manufactured by Exxon under the Isopar-M trade name. It is frequently called low odor kerosene. It is different than regular kerosene. Current kerosene's have a slight odor but nearly so much a years ago distillations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
carry a bottle of clear finger nail polish with you all the time . if you get a tick on you paint its ass with the f. p. to kill it . don't pull it out it can cause an infection that can f you up . i spent 6 days in the hosp. and had to have surgery to get the infection out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
carry a bottle of clear finger nail polish with you all the time . if you get a tick on you paint its ass with the f. p. to kill it . don't pull it out it can cause an infection that can f you up . i spent 6 days in the hosp. and had to have surgery to get the infection out

Modern method: tweezers. Some specially suited for tick removal.

You leave it in...problematic as the tick's mouth is it's muzzle and it's saliva is it's bullet.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're in a real tick heavy area I've found the repellent effect at least of the Sawyer permethrin spray diminishes after every single washing. On freshly treated clothes you can actually watch the insects die as they walk across it. But I've gotten bitten by ticks that had made it across permethrin treated clothes that had been washed a few times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I wouldn't dispute that finding as I usually re-apply after third washing even after using a gentle detergent.

Trudging through SW and NW deserts and mountains have so far been lucky in not getting bit. Years ago, coming home from a climbing expedition that entailed some bushwhacking, felt an adult tick that just had started to attack my arm pit...glad I felt it...

Yeah, be sure to thoroughly wet the garments with extra attention to cuffs, belt line, etc. before allowing to dry. Don't scrimp on the amount applied. Some apply two applications.

You can send off your hunting clothes to companies that will treat your items more thoroughly or purchase apparel that is factory treated which is more likely to wear out before the permethrin does.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't have much useful to add after all the good input, but I do remember sitting in camp one summer and enjoying watching mosquitoes land on my pants, walk around for a bit and then take off and spiral off into the ground. No ticks where I live, so didn't get to try it on them. I'll be sure to use it for my next Oklahoma trip. Probably does a good job on chiggers too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are fortunate in Oklahoma to have only five tick-borne diseases that affect humans:

https://oklahoma.gov/health/prevent...ickborne-and-mosquitoborne-diseases.html

You may have less in YOUR state...dunno.

Some states have twelve.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by smokepole

The "nymph" stage of most ticks are so small they are very difficult to detect. THAT could be why you have never detected them. Their tiny size belies their danger *IF* they are carrying disease.

Right. I'm sure that over the twenty years I had dogs running all over the place without flea collars or powder, all the nymph-stage ticks that got on 'em just died and never grew up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I gotta say I learned something from you all today - never heard of these products & I’ll certainly be trying them this season.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.