Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I posted this in another forum. Thought I would ask here also.

Any advice to remedy light strikes on a Kimber Montana 84M? I understand this is a common problem and that Kimber has a longer/stronger firing pin replacement spring. Anybody know if they charge for these or send them out gratis to rectify the situation?
Also, I've read that Wolfe makes a replacement, but some say the spring diameter is too large to fit the bolt channel. Again, anybody have first hand experience?
Lastly, is there a simple/easy way to measure firing pin protrusion on an 84M without the need for a special gauge that likely will see just one use? Thanks for any help - Tim

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Any advice to remedy light strikes on a Kimber Montana 84M? I understand this is a common problem and that Kimber has a longer/stronger firing pin replacement spring. Anybody know if they charge for these or send them out gratis to rectify the situation?
Also, I've read that Wolfe makes a replacement, but some say the spring diameter is too large to fit the bolt channel. Again, anybody have first hand experience?
Lastly, is there a simple/easy way to measure firing pin protrusion on an 84M without the need for a special gauge that likely will see just one use? Thanks for any help - Tim

I just sent the same rifle back to them twice to fix an oversize chamber. They could not fix it either time and despite the chamber cast showing an overlong chamber ( .100" too long) they said it was fine. I paid to set the barrel back.

The spring may be the problem, which can be adjusted in the bolt... and is a fairly easy fix.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take the safety off and decock the bolt. This will allow you to measure the pin protrusion. Start there before you get to swapping parts.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I just sent the same rifle back to them twice to fix an oversize chamber. They could not fix it either time and despite the chamber cast showing an overlong chamber ( .100" too long) they said it was fine. I paid to set the barrel back.

The spring may be the problem, which can be adjusted in the bolt... and is a fairly easy fix.

Thanks for the reply. I knew the protrusion of the pin was adjustable, and I'm aware of that procedure. Wasn't aware the spring was also adjustable. Care to elaborate? Thanks - Tim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Slow your roll and try to figure out,just what the fhuqk it is you are bitching about. Hint.

Factory rifle? Chambering? Factory ammo? Reloads? What bullet? Hint.

Rifle bought new? Used? Stupidity cain't be "gauged". Hint.

Do you retain the fired cases and have more of the troubled ammo? Hint.

User mistakes,are a VERY common problem. Hint.

With said info displayed,the remedy will be a breeze,so the straighter you come forth,the quicker The Cure. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remedied one of mine with a Wolfe spring. No oversize issues as I recall.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
I remedied one of mine with a Wolfe spring. No oversize issues as I recall.
Les

PM sent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quite a few years ago I fixed the same issue. There is a slotted screw at the end of the bolt sleeve. IIRC a half turn clockwise took care of the problem. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I think we're good to go now. I called Kimber and ordered a replacement firing pin spring. Swapped it out with the original and set protrusion to .050-.052. Took her to the range and put 10 rounds each from 3 different manufacturers through her with not one FTF. Before I changed the spring, I had 6 out of 30. Primer dents look better too. I'll shoot it a lot more before I hunt it, but I think we're good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.