Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ConradCA
He said in May, so it should be warm.

How about going north along Oregon and Washington coast. Then to Vancouver and then east thru Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise. Next down thru Glacier Park and Yellowstone.

Candaian border is closed and will still be closed in May

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My wife and I visited the Oregon coast a couple of years ago. Flew into Portland and rented a car. The traffic in and out of Portland was horrendous, about as bad as I've seen anywhere.

Other than that, we had a great time. My advice would be to find a different way to get there, avoiding Portland. And that's not even considering the current political mess.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Paul39
My wife and I visited the Oregon coast a couple of years ago. Flew into Portland and rented a car. The traffic in and out of Portland was horrendous, about as bad as I've seen anywhere.

Other than that, we had a great time. My advice would be to find a different way to get there, avoiding Portland. And that's not even considering the current political mess.

Ever fly into Seattle, lol?

PDX is a great small /medium airport and is outside of downtown Portland.

In fact, you can be in the gorge in 45 minutes - rush hr not withstanding.

Cross the 205 and take the Washington side.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ConradCA
He said in May, so it should be warm.

How about going north along Oregon and Washington coast. Then to Vancouver and then east thru Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise. Next down thru Glacier Park and Yellowstone.

Can't count on warm dry weather on the wet side until September.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
We took our college age girls and a boyfriend out to Washington and visited Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Seattle before heading out to the Olympic Peninsula: Dungeness Spit, Hurricane Ridge, Forks, La Push, and the Hoh River. Would do it again in a flash.

Pretty huh

Yes it is, but depending on what kind of snow year they're having up there it could be they don't get much hiking in some of those places.

Hiked through Olympic NP from Quinalt over to the Elwah valley and out there. July 1974. 8' of snow on the pass in the park and that's not very high.

Got over to climb Rainier and do the Wonderland Trail. Managed with the right gear to do Rainier, but the Lodge at Paradise was still mostly buried and the Trail averaged above 6k' and we didn't have snowshoes to do the 93 miles.

Might be some short hikes available in May though. Maybe a Washingtonian can let us know what conditions are up there this year.

Holy [bleep] man.
Nice hike

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Southern Oregon coast ...Heceta Head south ...maybe drop down 101 far enough to see the north end of the redwoods around Crescent City CA. Coastal trails abound.

Another plus 1 on this. SW Oregon has some grand country. And if they've not been to the BIG tress, it's a win win deal.

Crater Lake in May? BS
Lower in the Cascades, in May? Bring some Deet.

Save the drive, it's just a damned volcano filled with water.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tough call. They both suck mightily, but honestly Oregon is the MOST Phouced up place Ive ever been. So on that basis, I'd pick Washington.

Politics aside, Oregon is one bitchin place. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant.

Politics aside.

100% agreed. I can suppose if someone went to Portland, then Hillsboro then Gresham, it'd be fairly easy to miss the joy. There's a reason there was an Oregon Trail, it was that good...

BTW, Flying into PDX to drive out ain't chit, just do it between 9 pm and 4 am. I wouldn't trade two Washingtons for half an Oregon. Washingtoon does have awesomeness tooo.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tough call. They both suck mightily, but honestly Oregon is the MOST Phouced up place Ive ever been. So on that basis, I'd pick Washington.

Politics aside, Oregon is one bitchin place. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant.

Politics aside.

Wow, that’s astute! Like having a dagger sticking in your side and saying “except for the pain and loss of blood, this really isn’t that uncomfortable.”

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Beaches-Oregon (no contest)
Mountains-Toss up (in May the mountains won't be very hikable though, due to snow)
Wineries-Oregon (Yamhill/Carlton area, Walla Walla, WA is a close second though)
Breweries-Oregon (Tight race but the nod goes to OR)

If they decide Washington, a few days in the San Juan Islands is well worth the effort.

If I were to plan something for them, I'd fly them into PDX, pick up a car, head west to Astoria, then spend the bulk of their time driving south down Hwy 101, skipping Seaside. 4 or 5 days of beach life, then inland to the Willamette Valley for a couple days of wine tasting then back to PDX to fly home. Despite the naysayers, OR and WA are worth visiting.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Newport area along the central Oregon coast is nice. We had a condo at the Inn at Otter Crest for years and always spent a few weeks a year there.

Lots of beaches, go crabbing, drive up to Tillamook and tour the cheese factory, air museum at McMinnville and one at Tillamook. Just stay away from Portland.

Bb

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When an area has too many options the first thing, they do is start shoving things up their asses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Avoid the cities completely, come into Oregon down the Columbia River Gorge, stop at Multamona Falls, go north on I-5 to Longview WA, Cross the Columbia there, or stay in WA to the 4-mile long bridge over the river into Astoria.
In Astoria go to the column climb it and take in the view, there is also a fort to sea hiking trail from Lewis and Clark Natl. Park, a herd of elk can sometimes be seen in Fort Stevens and where the Columbia River meets the sea was worth the time.

Did the long haul trucker thing for years, The Colombia River Gorge is
one of the most scenic drives in the country. One of the very best
from an interstate.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Crater Lake in May? BS

In 1976 my wife, then girlfriend, was intern with the FAA and sent to work on antennas at the Klamath Falls airport [next to Crater Lake]. I visited her during spring break.

It was like being on the lunar surface. No sign of life.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Crater Lake, in about July. LOL grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input. Passed it on to my daughter.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
We took our college age girls and a boyfriend out to Washington and visited Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Seattle before heading out to the Olympic Peninsula: Dungeness Spit, Hurricane Ridge, Forks, La Push, and the Hoh River. Would do it again in a flash.

Pretty huh

Yes it is, but depending on what kind of snow year they're having up there it could be they don't get much hiking in some of those places.

Hiked through Olympic NP from Quinalt over to the Elwah valley and out there. July 1974. 8' of snow on the pass in the park and that's not very high.

Got over to climb Rainier and do the Wonderland Trail. Managed with the right gear to do Rainier, but the Lodge at Paradise was still mostly buried and the Trail averaged above 6k' and we didn't have snowshoes to do the 93 miles.

Might be some short hikes available in May though. Maybe a Washingtonian can let us know what conditions are up there this year.

Holy [bleep] man.
Nice hike

Epic.

I wasn't a camera person then. Would have had to carry a million rolls of 35mm to catch it all anyway!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lodge at Rainier looked similar. Had to access the restrooms through an 8' diam culvert.

On July 19!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.