Hop To
#15923672 03/21/21
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Water is starting to warm a little here. Sister and her bunch came in from the frozen north for a visit so I took my brother in law out for a couple hours to the bass ponds.

Pretty slow in the middle of the day but the water is gin clear and we could see them starting to move up into the shallows to sun. Only boated three but I managed a pretty good one. She was returned safely to fight another day. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Weightless worm with a 4/0 Mustad fished super slow. Brown, green, and motor oil have been the colors the last week or so.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice fish! Guessing 5-6# or maybe even a little more? Always fun to fish farm ponds for bass.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Water is starting to warm a little here. Sister and her bunch came in from the frozen north for a visit so I took my brother in law out for a couple hours to the bass ponds.

Pretty slow in the middle of the day but the water is gin clear and we could see them starting to move up into the shallows to sun. Only boated three but I managed a pretty good one. She was returned safely to fight another day. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Weightless worm with a 4/0 Mustad fished super slow. Brown, green, and motor oil have been the colors the last week or so.

cool

water temp and depth?

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No idea on temp, the lake a few miles away was in the low 50s last week. Pond is an old cedar canyon, sand rock with steep sides, hooked her in probably 5’ of water but saw plenty up in 2-3 foot sunning.

The place has two ponds, big cedar canyon had two springs in it and they put a dam downstream of each one back 55-60 years ago. The men who owned/own it never fished and wouldn’t let anyone else, I’m really not sure why they stocked the ponds. The gentleman who owns it now is the son of the man who built the ponds and was a classmate of my grandmother as well as working with my mother for 25 years. He has no grandchildren and has always been like an uncle to me. So I’ve always had unrestricted access to what are probably the best bass ponds in the county.

Years ago he found one washed up on the bank, probably been lying in the edge of the water for half a day or so and the turtles had eaten a spot about the size of a softball out of it’s belly. Even with that missing it was 4oz under the state record at the time. Think it went 13lb 14oz. He had it mounted and it hung in his office for years.

It’s a really neat place that’s very special to me. I bought the little 12’ Lowe a few years ago and leave it pulled up on the bank. Me and my little boy spend a lot of evenings out there in the spring and summer in that little boat.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice fat gal ya hung there! Packing some snake loads in that wheelgun?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No snakes out yet and generally not many on that place even in the hot months. Pigs though, killed one last summer with that 2” M15 on the edge of the pond. 158gr SWCs over 5.5gr Unique

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great six shooter. I have a 15-3 4" and shoot the same 5 .5 grs. of Unique with a Missouri Bullet Company 158 gr. coated SWC.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.