Originally Posted by stxhunter
minute of barn.

This has been my experience.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, the 580 series, didn’t work, ask me how I know.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by erickg

That's it. I'm going to scope one of my Ruger Mini 14s and accuracy test it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by erickg

Tapered barrel or straight barrel?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had 3. 2 were Ranch models which took Ruger rings. One of those 2, a stainless unit that I bought new in around '96 shot a couple of absolutely amazing groups with a couple of different loads one day, but when I tried to repeat those results under different conditions, they were spraying all over, producing the kind of groups that people commonly complain about.

I've seen pretty darned good accuracy out of Mini-14's, but when I finally tried an AR platform rifle, (more than a couple now) I was surprised at how common consistent, decent accuracy could be.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JN . . . Does he have the bayonet to go with it?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
With some work from these folks https://www.accuratemini14.com/

They shoot pretty good. I got mine worked on some years ago before the prices got so high.

They did the accuracy work, I did the stock.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
minute of barn.

They made a target version. Not saying it shot any better......haha

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Have a new 580 series mini 30. Extremely happy with it. Pics to follow

GOD Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With some work from these folks https://www.accuratemini14.com/

They shoot pretty good. I got mine worked on some years ago before the prices got so high.

They did the accuracy work, I did the stock.

DF

Impressive accuracy. My best groups were like that. My average and worst, however, were far from that.

What I noticed with mine was that the rifle appeared to be Uber-sensitive to forend and barrel pressure, leading me to believe that the gas block and forend system was a bigger concern for accuracy than anything else was. I do know that using a Harris bipod adapter and bipod had a huge affect on accuracy, with 100 yard groups looking like 15 yard buckshot patterns. Careful and deliberate plinking using a front and rear bag improved accuracy for me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jnyork
An elderly friend wants me to help him sell off his gun collection, which is mostly hunting stuff, nothing spectacular. He has a Ruger Mini 14 that is marked something like "restricted for law enforcement and military only". It has a flash hider and bayonet lug. I don't know much about these particular rifles and hope to find enlightenment here, what's the story on these? I checked Blue Book and Gun Broker and still dont know much more that when I started. Thanks.

They are about like everything Ruger. Dig into the details: finish, ranch, folding stock . That’ll get you close then it’s how much can you sucker someone into paying.

They’ll kill a Haji sho nuff

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 581 serial number with flash hider. Slick and accurate rifle. One of two SHTF rifles I have.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
minute of barn.

Yep. I’ll never own another one Roger. Gave up on finding one that would group better than 6 inches at 100 yards.

If you rebarreled them and tweaked em they would be ok. I love the M1A/M14 platform and like the looks of the mini but I've never wanted to put money in one and I've never seen a factory one shoot well enough for me to be interested.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree on gas block, forend pressure and bedding being important on these.

Accuracy systems three point bedded this one, which is a big deal. You can see 2 of the 3 screws. They put hangers in the wood, used machine screws for bedding.. And, bottom photo, their brake. Trigger job is excellent. It takes a bit longer taking it down. You don't just pop the trigger guard, gotta first remove the three bedding screws.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It used to be that the Mini14 was the poor man's AR15. For a long time, the Ruger pretty much had the market to themselves. They knew about the accuracy problems, but had NO incentive to do anything about it. They had no competition. You could buy a $350 Mini 14, or a $1200 AR15 (or some other more exotic gun.. costing even more). For a long time, that was it. Now, everybody and their brother makes an AR, and the cost has come WAY down..... but the cost of the Mini has gone way up.

They finally addressed the accuracy issue with the newer heavier barreled guns. I have one, and it shoots pretty well. No vertical stringing, or slinging shots hither and yon. Many people have good success with older Minis by using a barrel strut attached to the bottom of the barrel.

I went looking around a couple of years ago to see if I could get myself an older Mini, but people were wanting as much for a used old Mini14, as for a brand new one. I'd hate to see the prices on one now. If I was going to spend so much on a rifle, I'd maybe spend just a little more and get an M-1A.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
minute of barn.

Yep. I’ll never own another one Roger. Gave up on finding one that would group better than 6 inches at 100 yards.

If you rebarreled them and tweaked em they would be ok. I love the M1A/M14 platform and like the looks of the mini but I've never wanted to put money in one and I've never seen a factory one shoot well enough for me to be interested.

Yeah, a decent AR will shoot that good for a lot less than a tricked out Mini.

But, like you, I do like the feel and handling of a Mini.

DF

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
JN . . . Does he have the bayonet to go with it?

I kinda doubt it but I'll ask, stranger things have happened. All he showed me was the four extra mags.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I"m a fan of the Mini. But I never really thought of it as a grouping gun. Maybe I did watch too much A-Team as a teen.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My tactical model shoots good enough with ball ammo.

Now I wouldn’t take it prairie dog hunting, but for a homestead defensive carbine it’s fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't own one. Shot one, it's light, like an M1 Carbine that shoots flat. Makes an equipped M4 seem clunky.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.