Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking for suggestions on ring options for a 30mm tube. I generally use and like seekins rings but I figured I would explore other options. Hoping something is out there I don’t know about. I don’t like the 1/2” nut on most tactical rings. I prefer lightweight. I like warne mtn techs a lot except for the 1/2 nut. I tried the Talley MSR’s but find them to be ugly. Seems the ring cap doesn’t match the ring body. I know they are using the same ring caps as the LW’s, but to my eye it looks Chinsy on the MSR ring body. I like the Hawkins LW Tac rings but again they have a 1/2” nut to fasten them down.

I see Vortex and Steiner have rings out similar to the seekins in how they attach to the rail without the large nut. Anyone have experience with either of these? I have a few rifles to set up, so cost is of some concern but wouldn’t pass up the right product just cause of cost. Scopes to be mounted are Nx8 in 50mm. Rifles have pic rails on them.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have a set of Steiners and they are nice - can’t speak to return to zero.

Take a look at American Precision arms - sweet rings, good people. I slowly migrating most of my rail set-ups to these.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Vortex pro series are excellent rings. In the past I often used the Leupold PRWs but lately have favored the Vortex for their lighter weight. Don't know why they feel compelled to print the torque specs on them though.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My go to rings for a picatinny rail are TPS, they're reasonably light, reasonably low, and reasonably priced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ARC M-10's.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^This^^^

Or APA

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the reply’s so far. I will check some of these out.

S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hunts- those M10’s are pretty unique. Awesome engineering and machining went into that design. Thank you for sharing. I hadn’t seen those before.

S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Vortex pro series are excellent rings. In the past I often used the Leupold PRWs but lately have favored the Vortex for their lighter weight. Don't know why they feel compelled to print the torque specs on them though.

I don’t know why vortex printed on them either. I personally don’t like it but some people might. Wonder if it would wipe off with nail Polish remover or something. They are reasonably priced and meet my criteria.

Last edited by shootAI; 03/21/21.
S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Some cool stuff out there. Those TPS double lug design is innovative as well. Thanks again guys. Still researching.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Vortex Pro 30mm Lows are .90 to center, this is not low, if that matters to you. They're Made in the USA though, and priced very aggressively.

TPS X-Rings in 30mm Super Low are .82" to center. I don't understand the value of the double lug. It actually seems like a liability as it's the flat in the void on either side of a typical ring side lug that mates with the top of the rail lugs. Putting two lugs on the ring side reduces this footprint 3:1.

S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Kingston-
Yes I prefer to be around .8. The seekins are .82 and could be lower. I agree on the pricing of the vortex. Just never been a fan of their products. Rings look good though. I can’t take that away from them with my bias.

Never thought of your point with the double lugs. A first thought it just seemed like more engagement (two is better than one) but perhaps it’s just another gimmick to be different than other manufactures. You are smarter than I so I will defer to your judgement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's lots of data in this thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11127649

If you want low, APA should be near the top of your list.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Burris Signatures... free moa, no lapping, and they don't mark your tube.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shootAI
Looking for suggestions on ring options for a 30mm tube. I generally use and like seekins rings but I figured I would explore other options. Hoping something is out there I don’t know about. I don’t like the 1/2” nut on most tactical rings. I prefer lightweight. I like warne mtn techs a lot except for the 1/2 nut. I tried the Talley MSR’s but find them to be ugly. Seems the ring cap doesn’t match the ring body. I know they are using the same ring caps as the LW’s, but to my eye it looks Chinsy on the MSR ring body. I like the Hawkins LW Tac rings but again they have a 1/2” nut to fasten them down.

I see Vortex and Steiner have rings out similar to the seekins in how they attach to the rail without the large nut. Anyone have experience with either of these? I have a few rifles to set up, so cost is of some concern but wouldn’t pass up the right product just cause of cost. Scopes to be mounted are Nx8 in 50mm. Rifles have pic rails on them.

On the cheap, I’ve had excellent results from the SWFA rings. Have had the same excellent results from Seekins and they are more aesthetically pleasing, but my current favorites are the American Rifle Company rings. Absolutely love how they do not induce a reticle cant as they are tightened, they hold securely and aren’t unpleasant to look at.

John

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/m10-scope-rings-7?category=3

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shootAI

I would try APA rings. They are excellent.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
APA are my favorite.

Seekins are next.

TPS XRT (double lug) are next. They're essentially a Seekins but a little trimmer and double lugged. I've not considered Kingston's thought above but they've worked well for me on several rifles with pic rails. However........they won't work with Burris XTB bases because the bases don't have mil spec spacing between slots.....so I've got 2 pair sitting unused right now (1 unopened). If you're using a rail and want to give them a try let me know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunts talked me into a set of those ARC rings. They're pretty innovative. I liked them. Other than those I just use Seekins. Never had a marked scope in them either.

S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks everybody.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve only got one set, but the ARC rings are nice.

The only thing I don’t like, is that the hinge pins are NOT “captured”. They can, and will, slide in and out while you’re playing/installing the rings. Watch them carefully, so you don’t lose them, and make sure they’re not protruding when you’re tightening the rings on the scope.

Once you’ve tightened, they won’t go anywhere, but they ARE something you have to futz with, before then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 58 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.