Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking for a classic period varmint scope to go on a 1970s 700 Varmint in 222. Doesn't have to be from the 70s but needs to "look right" on the rifle.. Fine reticle is good. Gloss. This will be a range blaster. 200yds max.

Not in a hurry. Already have a couple newer 4-12s here that I can use in the meantime.

Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an older Leupold 3-9x40 AO Gloss that I'm looking to sell. PM me if you are interested.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Classic from that era on a varmint rifle would be a Unertle target scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Supercub;
Good morning to you my friend, I hope spring has arrived in your part of our land and that despite our current political morass, all in your world are well.

Way back in the day, the early '90's I want to say, I found a fairly good condition El Paso Weaver 4-12 with dual reticle crosshairs and an adjustable objective.

A gun trading buddy talked me out of it one day and honestly I never should have sold it. It wasn't the brightest scope, but I'd figured out how to use the goofy double crosshair system well enough to hit coyotes far enough away that the coyote, my hunting partner and I were surprised. wink

I'm not sure where one might locate one other than run it up on gunnutz and see who has what. Mine can't have been the only one in Canada.

All the best to you all as we head into spring and good luck and have fun finding your old school glass.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
I have an older Leupold 3-9x40 AO Gloss that I'm looking to sell. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks .... I am in Canada. Shipping scopes can be a bit of a hassle plus the exchange can make it a bit expensive.

Really just looking for suggestions.

Thanks smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning Dwayne ....

Spring is spinging here this week. Still lots of snow in the woods and some ice is still in. The dog got on a couple early woodcock this past weekend. They are usually here before the robins.

An old steel Weaver is one scope I did think about but they seem to be getting fewer in numbers for sale. Maybe an older Leupold 12x fixed would be another to consider.

I will be watching CGN but as mentioned, no hurry.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Supercub;
Thanks for reply and weather update my friend.

Yes, there's less and less of the older Weaver scopes out here too and the dearth of gun shows hasn't helped one bit.

I'm on a small BC forum that has a few "traders" on it, so if you figure out what you're looking for I'd be happy to send that out into the ether space and see what might be lurking in the back of gun safes here out west.

The 12X Leupold would be wonderful. I've got an ancient straight 12X El Paso Weaver on a very reworked .22, it's so old though that the crosshairs don't stay centered and that takes a wee bit to get used to. It's the one on the right.

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, if I can be of any assistance out west here by all means give me a shout.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There will be a fine line between classic and functional. It needs to work well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Supercub;
For sure functionality is the most important thing on a scope.

I'll have to say that from at least a dozen various models of the older steel El Paso Weavers, all worked perfectly. There was one variable that was the cheaper line they offered at the very end of El Paso production - I want to say it was an aluminum tube too - that no longer adjusted.

The shortcoming on them was that they didn't have wonderful glass, but they all adjusted easily and as far as I recall repeatedly too. The hash marks or clicks made sense too, which I can't honestly say all the Leupolds in the safe do... wink

When they're not asking crazy prices for them at gun shows I still buy all the 2.5 and 3 power straight tube Weavers that I can find. As you can see on the photo above, the left rifle runs a 4X El Paso and second from left is a 2.5X.

For me a lot of the fun of a build is the hunt for parts and pieces so again have fun and good luck.

Dwayne

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Don't forget the Redfield's. A friend bought a Redfield 6-18 for his varmint rifle in the mid-70's, at that time I was wowed by the magnification and view. I remember it being quite a bit brighter than the Weaver's of period, plus it was a gloss finish which matched the 700's of that time frame.
But certainly a Weaver 4-12, or Leupold 8.5 power, or 12 power, or 16 power (rare) would be appropriate also. There were even some pretty good Japanese Tasco variables being made during that time frame, they may not have the cachet of the others but they worked.

Perhaps a WTB on canadiangunutz may bring something out of someones closet.
drover

Last edited by drover; 03/22/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depends on whether you're thinking early 70s or later 70s.

By the mid 80s, a friend was shooting a Burris 6-18X .. think it dated from the 70s. Leupold 6.5-20X should be that old as well. Leupold also made some fixed 8x and 10x scopes in those days. Not sure when the B&L 6-24 came out but it'd be a proper choice as well.

The one from that period I want, though ... I've only ever seen one, but it was a Leupold 3.5-10X AO. Didn't know they offered that magnification with AO ... I'd like to obtain it for a Hornet or walking varminter in .222/.223 but it lives on a .300 H&H Rem 721 a friend inherited from his dad and that's where it will stay.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
In the middle 60's a good friend of mine was a shooter at Camp Perry.. He had a 6-24 B & L on his 7x61 Sharp and Hart match rifle... So it came out before that...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Super Cub.. I started varmint hunting in the 60's.. My first scopes in 1" were Unertle 4x, but they made 8 and 10 I believe... I also used Lyman All American in 6x for my .222.. They made 8 and 10 also.. Weaver were very common also.. But my shooting buddy ran a small gun shop and often picked up used Lyman scopes... Some Weaver also.. I think I have a 12 x Weaver at home... It was not as clear as the others, but was typical of the time... I will look when I am there next week.. If you are interested let me know... I will have to see how clear it is...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
Don't forget the Redfield's. A friend bought a Redfield 6-18 for his varmint rifle in the mid-70's, at that time I was wowed by the magnification and view. I remember it being quite a bit brighter than the Weaver's of period, plus it was a gloss finish which matched the 700's of that time frame.
But certainly a Weaver 4-12, or Leupold 8.5 power, or 12 power, or 16 power (rare) would be appropriate also. There were even some pretty good Japanese Tasco variables being made during that time frame, they may not have the cachet of the others but they worked.

Perhaps a WTB on canadiangunutz may bring something out of someones closet.
drover

I hadn't thought of Redfield. Good suggestion as well as the older Tascos.

I will keep an eye on CGN, and see what pops up.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have a leupold M8 12x in a box. Not using it at the present time. Has seen very little use and is in nice shape. Might consider selling. Wayne.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SuperCub: I have a similar vintage Remington 700 BDL Varmint in 222 Remington and I put a Redfield 6x18 variable power scope on it - it is cool, in the old timey sense of the word.
I also have a pair of 1970's vintage Remington 700 BDL Varmints in caliber 22-250 Remington - one has a period correct Weaver 3x9 variable on it (which I am going to swap out this year for more power) and the other has a really cool and kind of rare Redfield straight 12 power (gloss) scope from that era.
Last fall I bought another old timey Remington 700 BDL Varmint in caliber 243 Winchester and had no period correct scope to strap on it - so I put a Leupold 6.5x20 variable on it and boy YOU should see that one shoot.
I had planned on getting a period correct Redfiled 4x12 or another 6x18 Redfield for this one but it shoots so good I am leaving it as is.
As mentioned above I swooned when Leupold came out with their straight 16 power Varmint scopes and bought 3 or 4 of them - alas when the folks at Leupold later came out with the 6.5x20 power variables I traded off all my 7.5, 8, 10, 12, 16 and 20 straight power Leupolds for the performance of their 6.5x20's
Wish I has some of those old straight power Leupolds back now!
As much as I love the older Leupolds those 70's and 80's vintage Redfield high end power variables sure look great (and perform pretty well also!) on Remington 700's.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuty

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Redfield or Weaver 4-12x40 AO or a straight 8x, 10x, or 12x.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agree with Varmintguy, a Redfield 6-18 would look good. It will be good enough to look through.

Some good pictures from various angles (not mine)
https://ukrainetzauction.hibid.com/lot/63081-263567-190912/ruger-77-22-w--scope/

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good suggestions. I'm thinking I'd like a minimum 12x fixed or variable.

Thanks

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I just sold a Leupold 8 x 40mm with AO, gloss and fine cross hair. It would have been perfect but sold it with a Winchester M69A .22 to a friend two weeks ago. Great scope, but I had a surplus of them as I have it's mate (with a dot reticule) on my custom 10-22 Sporter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (260madman, 1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.