Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
When did Winchester start offering the M70 in 223 REM caliber?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roughly mid 80's

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a Plain Jane old Model 70 Ranger chambered in 223 Remington that is roughly from that time frame. Its still an excellent shooter after all of these years, and it's a joy to carry with its light weight.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Turn it into a 350. Legend. Cheap a ammo used to be but no more

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ctw
Turn it into a 350. Legend. Cheap a ammo used to be but no more

Uhhhh..... Why..??

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Anyone ever actually seen a classic stainless 223 in the flesh?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

No but I have a 1980s production of a 223 in Featherweight, one in 12 twist...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Ranger that I own in 223 Remington has a FW barrel profile but it has barrel sights, and it sits in a cheaper hard wood stock. Still, its a nice rifle.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't believe there is such a thing as any Classic in 223 REM.

Only made in push feed as far as I know. Mid '80's to mid '90's Sporter, Varmint, Featherweight, Lightweight and Ranger.

Last edited by winchester70; 03/22/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by winchester70

Only made in push feed as far as I know. Mid '80's to mid '90's Sporter, Varmint, Featherweight, Lightweight and Ranger.

Yep. Rumors of them exist as they were cataloged first year but I have never seen one either. I’m not sure if any ever actually made it out.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep. Rumors of them exist as they were cataloged first year but I have never seen one either. I’m not sure if any ever actually made it out.

I've never seen one either. If I ever do, I'll be buying it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a mid 80's Winchester .223 FWT. It's a fun little rifle but it's no tack driver and it is not SS.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rumor on the street Winchester only made couple hundred of the classics in 223. The story is they required way to much hand fitting to get them too feed right. My buddy while stationed at fort bliss said the gun club on ft bliss had one. He said he gave it good look over but didn’t have the money to buy it. If one ever does pop up I doubt bsa will be buying it for $600 😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
When did Winchester start offering the M70 in 223 REM caliber?

I saw a stainless 223 Coyote Win M70 at the Issaquah range ~1995. It was a young guy who was at the range every day.

He shot a (5) shot 1" group at 100 yards. All the other guys who were there every day asked him how he did it.
He said, "front bag, rear bag, Federal Gold Match ammo"

I had been to many ranges, but that was the first time I ever saw a 1" group. It was like someone catching a big fish and everyone wants do know what he used for bait.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Purely rumor, but, the rumor I recall hearing was that the only way to get a "Classic" in 223Rem was to find a custom-shop "SharpShooter".

I have nothing to prove or back that up short of my rusty memory remembering a rumor, not anything official from Winchester, so take it for what it's worth.

I thought for a bit we'd all get lucky with the FN PBR, alas, the 223's were CRPF. frown

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, today I had the opportunity to handle the very rifle that convinced me to start this thread. Gun head who purchased it sent me the serial number via text before he bought it but without photos of the gun its self.
It was a late 60s early 70s rifle and he got it on the cheap, $275 to be exact. Turned out to be a 222 REM that had been rechambered to 223 REM

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

No. Never seen a CRF M-70 in 223 either in person or an online photo.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BayouRover
The Ranger that I own in 223 Remington has a FW barrel profile but it has barrel sights, and it sits in a cheaper hard wood stock. Still, its a nice rifle.

I had one of those Bayou, but it was not real accurate.. but mine wasn't a Featherweight profile.

I traded it off for a Ruger VT in 223...

I also have a Winchester take off barrel in 223, Stainless, Varmint profile, 26 inch barrel, 1 in 9 twist..

I've mounted it several times during varmint season on a Short Action in 243, but tightened it down, to head space on the bolt out of my Featherweight...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by super T
I have a mid 80's Winchester .223 FWT. It's a fun little rifle but it's no tack driver and it is not SS.

I bought mine, and the former owner had bedded it...

its a little sniper rifle for accuracy...

it only had a couple hundred rounds thru it.. guy was a collector, but was getting to push 80 and decided to sell some of them off...

We had a nice conversation, and he let me have it for $300.00 to include a Leupold rings and base on it...

it has been mainly fed on Blue Dot loads with 40 grain Ballistic Tips, and sure has shot a lot of sage rats...

also a couple of blacktails, 70 grain Speer SMP, 28 grains of H 380.. bang flop moment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Rumor on the street Winchester only made couple hundred of the classics in 223. The story is they required way to much hand fitting to get them too feed right. My buddy while stationed at fort bliss said the gun club on ft bliss had one. He said he gave it good look over but didn’t have the money to buy it. If one ever does pop up I doubt bsa will be buying it for $600 😁

Keep on doubting. I find the deals buddy. Sorry..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (163bc, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 77 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.