Hop To
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gunner500
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

Trump Won!

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
XXClaro, exactly, and to further muddy the waters, if all this goodness, grace, shed blood, forgiven sins, the book of life, mansions with streets of gold are all joyful and easily available with nothing more than confessing with one's tongue, then why the F all the infighting, bickering, outright hatred etc, etc? it's rabid crazy stuff man.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
XXClaro, exactly, and to further muddy the waters, if all this goodness, grace, shed blood, forgiven sins, the book of life, mansions with streets of gold are all joyful and easily available with nothing more than confessing with one's tongue, then why the F all the infighting, bickering, outright hatred etc, etc? it's rabid crazy stuff man.

Because humans are involved. Humans will screw up a one car funeral.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So 'man' can/has ruined houses of God because of greed, the flesh, other perversions, and turned many away who were searching for the light...........

Got it, Thanks JG.

Trump Won!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

So 'man' can/has ruined houses of God because of greed, the flesh, other perversions, and turned many away who were searching for the light...........

Got it, Thanks JG.

Wild, ain't it!

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Raeford

Got it, Thanks JG.

Wild, ain't it!

Yessir, the reasons i'll just let it go and run as is my Friend, all good.

Thought real hard about a man bending his knees, kneeling, crying, begging with face in hands and claiming to surrender it all to worship something:

How does one [a man] get there?
That cant be real or sincere!
Our [men] dna, genetic binaries say, no weakness, no begging, no damn crying, no surrendering! crazy

maybe i'm just retarded.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I just try my best to be a decent person and let it ride there.

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by IZH27
This is aimed at those who name the name of Christ as important and integral to their life.

If your view of others in relation to your view of Christ and yourself cause you to view non-believers or those of another religion in such a way that you dehumanize them, see them in a lesser way than you view yourself, your view of God and yourself is in need of a catastrophic immediate evaluation.

Amen!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This thread should be about Faith in The Lord Jesus Christ, and not about any of us.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Raeford
I just try my best to be a decent person and let it ride there.

And so it is written Sir, here as well. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand where you’re coming from, the best I can. And I can’t blame you for feeling as you do about it.
.....and to further muddy the waters, if all this goodness, grace, shed blood, forgiven sins, the book of life, mansions with streets of gold are all joyful and easily available with nothing more than confessing with one's tongue, then why the F all the infighting, bickering, outright hatred etc, etc? it's rabid crazy stuff man.
I think JGR addressed that about as good as it can be said...
Clearly, yes. But thankfully, following Jesus doesn’t mean following His followers. I do think that following Jesus...’not’ His followers, but Him...has as much or more to do with this life as it does the next. I do like some of what these type threads have to offer. I actually learn from them; and not only from some other believers, but from some others period...such as yourself, for example. Seeing things from another’s perspective...believer or not...I’ve found to sometimes be pretty educational and eye-opening. More so than I thought I would. There are some smart guys here, and some insightful guys.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
[The dynamics of faith (maybe see Paul Tillich so titled, as well as The Courage to Be) cause me to see it as beyond control by the individual human, no matter how fervent the quest for control. Good day - fare thee well.

And that may very well be true. As I recall, Sam Harris touches on this when he discusses the complexities of "free will", and how brain scans neuroscientist can observe the brain making decision before the brain contemplates the input. I'm not sure I accept all those claims, but it's an interesting field of study with many implications.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I understand where you’re coming from, the best I can. And I can’t blame you for feeling as you do about it.
.....and to further muddy the waters, if all this goodness, grace, shed blood, forgiven sins, the book of life, mansions with streets of gold are all joyful and easily available with nothing more than confessing with one's tongue, then why the F all the infighting, bickering, outright hatred etc, etc? it's rabid crazy stuff man.
I think JGR addressed that about as good as it can be said...
Clearly, yes. But thankfully, following Jesus doesn’t mean following His followers. I do think that following Jesus...’not’ His followers, but Him...has as much or more to do with this life as it does the next. I do like some of what these type threads have to offer. I actually learn from them; and not only from some other believers, but from some others period...such as yourself, for example. Seeing things from another’s perspective...believer or not...I’ve found to sometimes be pretty educational and eye-opening. More so than I thought I would. There are some smart guys here, and some insightful guys.

Yep, that'll leave me in the live and let live trying to be a good man camp with 'Ol Raeford, much less complicated, and no judging if certain topics are never discussed with others in person.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART
This was an interesting conversation but as usual it has degenerated in to an airy-fairy wishy-washy exercise in double talk.

I am guessing the approach of "if you cannot dazzle them with brilliance then by all means baffle them with bullshit" is in full swing.

Good to see you drop by.

Originally Posted by JSTUART

Good night, I am working in the morn at the old diocese Bishop's residence...someone has to do the maintenance.

Do those at the residence know that you are one of the devil's minions (undoing some of the devil's work)? smile

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 03/22/21.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC
[The dynamics of faith (maybe see Paul Tillich so titled, as well as The Courage to Be) cause me to see it as beyond control by the individual human, no matter how fervent the quest for control. Good day - fare thee well.

And that may very well be true. As I recall, Sam Harris touches on this when he discusses the complexities of "free will", and how brain scans neuroscientist can observe the brain making decision before the brain contemplates the input. I'm not sure I accept all those claims, but it's an interesting field of study with many implications.

The brain is the decision maker. Information is acquired and processed before decision making and conscious thought, a delay of milliseconds between input and conscious response.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by DBT
Ever heard of logical contradictions?....where if one claim is true the opposite cannot be true. Brahman in Hinduism is not the same as Yahweh as described in the bible. If one is true, the other must be false...or both are false. Both cannot be true.
Maybe all of them have a lot of truth in them and were pretty similar to begin with. Truth that has been obscured by those that amend the original and sell their version to control, maintain societal stratification, and last but not least cash in and live as a parasite on the masses. I know Hindus and Moslems that accept the teachings of Jesus which is more than several books of the New Testament do in ascribing teachings to Jesus that he never uttered and in fact contradicted. If an atheist reads this long thread and decides to remain an atheist, I understand.

The truth is that the human mind seeks answers...and sometimes fills gaps with imaginative stories when there are no answers.

The truth is, we don't have the answers on how the universe came about, or if it, it may be cyclic or whatever. We don't know, we are in the dark.

Our big list of gods are our attempts at explaining the inexplicable. They all differ enough to be incompatible, Zeus is not Yahweh in disguise, the Rainbow Serpent is not Allah....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Religious claims of supernatural acts
are about as valid as Big Foot claims.

Scholars deem the accounts of Cortés's
soldiers in Mexico written some 40 yrs
after the fact as not reliable and subsequent
embellished alterations of the same even
less reliable .. nor do they deem the letters
of Cortés himself as an impartial source
concerning events of the time..nor can one
trust the gospels for much the same reasons.
..but the world has never been short of
impressionable gullible types.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by DBT
Ever heard of logical contradictions?....where if one claim is true the opposite cannot be true. Brahman in Hinduism is not the same as Yahweh as described in the bible. If one is true, the other must be false...or both are false. Both cannot be true.
Maybe all of them have a lot of truth in them and were pretty similar to begin with. Truth that has been obscured by those that amend the original and sell their version to control, maintain societal stratification, and last but not least cash in and live as a parasite on the masses. I know Hindus and Moslems that accept the teachings of Jesus which is more than several books of the New Testament do in ascribing teachings to Jesus that he never uttered and in fact contradicted. If an atheist reads this long thread and decides to remain an atheist, I understand.

The truth is that the human mind seeks answers...and sometimes fills gaps with imaginative stories when there are no answers.

The truth is, we don't have the answers on how the universe came about, or if it, it may be cyclic or whatever. We don't know, we are in the dark.

Our big list of gods are our attempts at explaining the inexplicable. They all differ enough to be incompatible, Zeus is not Yahweh in disguise, the Rainbow Serpent is not Allah....

Not sure what others think, and I certainly don't understand it all myself, but their may be some merit in Julian Jaynes idea around breakdown of the bicameral mind - where we developed introspective consciousness by a better (?) connection of the function of our brain halves. Before this happened one half of the mind delivered information to the other half that made it appear as coming from another source (ie divine?). Churches and temples with idols and images were used to initiate or enhance the divine sensation.

The breakdown of separation, or connection, was made through the pressure of increasing civilisation group sizes and the complexities of interactions, as is a learned change rather than anything physical - having language also helped pave the way. At this time there was also a perceived abandonment by the gods when the divine went away.

Schizophrenia occurs when these 2 minds separate and maybe somewhat of a legacy from our earlier development.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 03/22/21.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,112
Posts18,502,295
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.