Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't know why, but every spot in this region that looks like good habit has several of these guys sitting or running around this spring. I think the rut might be on as well. Rock Chucks aka Yellow Bellied Marmots. As a kid I was passionate about pursuing the eastern version (Wood Chucks). Don't know why, but I give these a pass here unless I'm in need of some fly tying materials.

Neat little critters to just sit and watch. I suspect in some areas they may raid gardens or lawns, but ours seem to be in the isolated rims and boulder fields where they do no harm.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 03/23/21.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any public land areas there to hunt?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll let 1minute answer that specifically, but it is in E OR. Only a few million acres near him.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shot one off my front deck this morning. He saw me peeking out the garage door and dived off the side. Then he had his eyes barely peeking over the edge watching me slowly opening the door just enough to poke the gun out. 40', just right for a scoped .22 to skull cap him. We don't need chucks living under the deck.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Loved shooting those when I lived in Oregon. Made my longest confirmed kill at 535 yards on one. They’re around here just not in places or numbers where a guy can shoot them. Thanks for the memories!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'll let 1minute answer that specifically, but it is in E OR. Only a few million acres near him.
We have a few million more acres of them here in so. central ID. The chucks are out in force. The grass hasn't greened up yet, though, so I don't know what they're eating.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We got their eastern brethren the groundhog here, but each year they get harder to hunt it seems. Used to find them as easy targets everywhere in wide open fields etc, now they seem to be more in the wooded areas and near the houses etc. Still manage to shoot a dozen or so a year though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Alberta, we have the hoary marmot in the high mountains, the woodchuck in thinly scattered in the boreal forest and the yellow-bellied marmots on the plains and foothills where there is rimrocks. Strangely the yellow-bellied marmot (rockchuck) is protected. I have no clue why.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I go to Idaho every chance I get and shoot as many as I can. They cause millions of dollars in damage to alpha fields.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As Valsdad said:
Only a few million acres near him.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funnest trip I did last year was do a chuck hunt. I have converted one of my guns over to chuck specific. I am ready to go nuts on them. 243 ai pumping 75 vmaxs to 3700. The Handful I got with that combo, just exploded, provoking a speechless moment from the other guy in the binoculars. Any recommendations for southern Idaho?

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Plethora: 1. a large or excessive amount of (something).

Never caught that. Will have to pay better attention on the next viewing.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Oregon

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up in Idaho. Bought my first .22-250 with money I earned mowing lawns, I was twelve years old. Got a loan to add to the balance that my folks signed for me at the local credit union! Wow, diid I love that Remington Model 700 in .22-250 I could smoke those chucks at 300 yards or better. Still have that rifle today but it is now a .22-250AI. Had it re-barreled and customized, a thing of beauty.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My story is similar
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I grew up in Idaho. Bought my first .22-250 with money I earned mowing lawns, I was twelve years old. Got a loan to add to the balance that my folks signed for me at the local credit union! Wow, diid I love that Remington Model 700 in .22-250 I could smoke those chucks at 300 yards or better. Still have that rifle today but it is now a .22-250AI. Had it re-barreled and customized, a thing of beauty.

My story is similar to yours. I bought a 700 bdl in 6mm with lawn mowing money. I killed lots of chucks around the Milner area with it. I still have the rifle.

I'm going to have to make a trip to burley this spring. I have several old spots that I haven't been to for a few years. It was shooting chucks that got me interested in long range shooting. 25 years ago I was ranging with a mil dot reticle and dialing with scopes not really set up to dial. I remember when the first weaver grandslams came out how excited I was to be able to reset the dial to zero and have clicks that were pretty consistent. My first Lazer range finder in the late 90s was a game changer.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by marktheshark
We got their eastern brethren the groundhog here, but each year they get harder to hunt it seems. Used to find them as easy targets everywhere in wide open fields etc, now they seem to be more in the wooded areas and near the houses etc. Still manage to shoot a dozen or so a year though.

Same here in Ohio. Damned coyotes.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by marktheshark

I've noticed that too in Virginia. Use to shoot them in the middle of hay fields. Now they all live under barns. I've heard coyotes get a lot of them, but never witnessed that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ah, the life of a rock chuck. Eat yourself sick. Spend your days sitting on sunny rocks whistling at pretty girls going by. Sleep for 6 months.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One of my favorite activities is rock chuck hunting. I will be moving to Ontario Oregon next week and have a spot near there that I am hoping I can still hunt. Was last there in 2016.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.