Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin

They didn't teach her how to deal with that situation in college biology class, apparently.

Probably not, she went from being a pistol toting baged law enforcement officer to just being a girl all in a matter of a few seconds and was at a loss as to what to do about it.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For the guys that own them and wear them, what type would you recommend for fishing trout ponds out of a small canoe and wading fast water fly fishing?

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fshaw
For the guys that own them and wear them, what type would you recommend for fishing trout ponds out of a small canoe and wading fast water fly fishing?

Thanks.

Frank
This Onyx that I use is hard to beat. They aren't at all bulky or in the way. You definitely want the auto inflating kind. If you step in a hole and your waders are pulling you down, you sure aren't going to get a manual inflation one blown up.

[Linked Image from overtons.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Confusion there. A manually inflating one works by pulling that orange or yellow "T" handle. It still uses a CO2 cylinder and inflates immediately. It does not have a method of inflating on its own when submerged, however.

All of them have a mouth tube you can use if the CO2 system fails or you have a slow leak, but it is NOT the primary inflation method. (It is also the best way to check for leaks once a year without using the CO2.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never used and auto inflate one, but wear one of my two PFD's when even just walking a gnarly bank fishing on any of these local rivers or streams. I never go in a boat without one on either. Filled too many body bags over the years !

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Confusion there. A manually inflating one works by pulling that orange or yellow "T" handle. It still uses a CO2 cylinder and inflates immediately. It does not have a method of inflating on its own when submerged, however.

All of them have a mouth tube you can use if the CO2 system fails or you have a slow leak, but it is NOT the primary inflation method. (It is also the best way to check for leaks once a year without using the CO2.)
That's true but if your waders are full of water and you're in a current being knocked around, getting hold of that handle won't be easy. You want it filled and you want it now without having to screw with anything.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll put up with any discomfort, and wear one that is fool proof.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Something is better than nothing.

I guess.

I don't find the bulkies to be unduly in the way of most anything. Everyone in the boat wears one. Everyone. I much prefer the float coats tho.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Especially the railwalking bait....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I worked one summer out in the Bristol Bay country for ADF&G. They mandated PFD at all times on the water, and issued us loaner , bright orange float coats.

The instruction sheet for this topic stated: "It probably won't save your life, but it will help us find your body."

Someone had a sick, but not necessarily untruthful sense of black humor.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You need to resist the temptation to loosen them up. it floats, you may not.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by las

I don't find the bulkies to be unduly in the way of most anything.

All well and good, but I'll wager you wouldn't wear one in Mississippi in July, not unless you're comfortable with heatstroke.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SeanD
I don’t think any of the modern inflatables have to be “worn to count” as a life jacket. Unless your state rules exceed the CG.

Post #41
https://www.ifish.net/threads/life-jackets-teenagers.1491825/page-3#post-15001058

By definition any Type 5 has to be worn to count toward the carriage requirement. If it is not a Type 5, it doesn't have to be worn (unless an age requirement) to be counted. A lot of inflatables are Type 2 or 3 for recreational boats and Type 5 for commercial vessels. My primary inflatable is a Type 5.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The peeing over the side and falling in thing makes perfect sense. I've probably done it 500 plus times on my life on the water and I can see how it can easily happen.
I have a coffee can in the boat to pee in. Then just dump it and rinse it out. It's a lot safer.

I have a couple plastic powder bottles in boat.

GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The peeing over the side and falling in thing makes perfect sense. I've probably done it 500 plus times on my life on the water and I can see how it can easily happen.
I have a coffee can in the boat to pee in. Then just dump it and rinse it out. It's a lot safer.

I have a couple plastic powder bottles in boat.
the hole isn't nearly big enough...hence my coffee can. grin

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rolly
I had a friend who had an automatic inflatable jacket on once when it began raining. Once it rained enough and everything got wet enough the life jacket auto inflated while he was standing in the boat. I didn't see it but he said it happened. Go figure.

I've heard of that happening. I also read somewhere about making sure to store inflatables in a dry area so they don't go off when you wash your boat or if the boat gets rained on.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's funny what having lots of candles on your cake will make you think about. 10 years ago I wouldn't have considered wearing a PFD on a regular basis, but only in rough conditions. Maybe, like I told my wife when I told her I wanted to buy one of these, it's life experiences speaking to me and telling me that I'm not immortal and need to use a little wisdom these days.

There are ones that will inflate when wet. Different system.

I guide 3 months a year on a river in AK that coast guard sometimes says is not navigable waters. Glacier run off. I put a vest on when I get out of the truck. If I fall on the dock..... and hit my head.

Anyway It carries some coast guard rating. Orange. Says work vest on it. I remember the wording HIT on the activator, IE from water pressure not from just getting wet. IIRC 34-38 pounds flotation which is way more than a normal vest that folks wear.

When in rough whitewater with the jet boat I'll put on a normal vest and this one over....

It was an amazon buy. It was not cheap. Maybe 200 bucks. But its my life. I know how fast people float down the river if they fall in. They make the bridge faster than they expect. If they hit the Susitna they are most likely dead. So like I say I try to have it on EVERY time when I get out of the truck and dont take it off until I'm away from the dock.

Just makes sense.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mustang Survival HIT technology. 240 bucks. its my life.

https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Survival-Inflatable-Hydrostatic-Reflective/dp/B00QMT5M9C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3DYGNY3157QZ8&dchild=1&keywords=inflatable+life+vest+orange&qid=1616627472&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=inflatable+life+ve%2Csporting%2C183&sr=1-4

Hope this helps.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Rolly
I had a friend who had an automatic inflatable jacket on once when it began raining. Once it rained enough and everything got wet enough the life jacket auto inflated while he was standing in the boat. I didn't see it but he said it happened. Go figure.

I've heard of that happening. I also read somewhere about making sure to store inflatables in a dry area so they don't go off when you wash your boat or if the boat gets rained on.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's funny what having lots of candles on your cake will make you think about. 10 years ago I wouldn't have considered wearing a PFD on a regular basis, but only in rough conditions. Maybe, like I told my wife when I told her I wanted to buy one of these, it's life experiences speaking to me and telling me that I'm not immortal and need to use a little wisdom these days.

There are ones that will inflate when wet. Different system.

I guide 3 months a year on a river in AK that coast guard sometimes says is not navigable waters. Glacier run off. I put a vest on when I get out of the truck. If I fall on the dock..... and hit my head.

Anyway It carries some coast guard rating. Orange. Says work vest on it. I remember the wording HIT on the activator, IE from water pressure not from just getting wet. IIRC 34-38 pounds flotation which is way more than a normal vest that folks wear.

When in rough whitewater with the jet boat I'll put on a normal vest and this one over....

It was an amazon buy. It was not cheap. Maybe 200 bucks. But its my life. I know how fast people float down the river if they fall in. They make the bridge faster than they expect. If they hit the Susitna they are most likely dead. So like I say I try to have it on EVERY time when I get out of the truck and dont take it off until I'm away from the dock.

Just makes sense.

If it's a HIT, it's a Mustang. Those are very good PFDs. https://mustangsurvival.com/products/hit-inflatable-pfd-md3183-02

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's a label on a Type 2 Recreational, Type 5 Commercial inflatable. This one would not have to be worn to count toward the recreational carriage requirements.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats pretty much it. My life could rely on it. And frankly I'm in danger just being on the bank or in the boat watching up to 6 folks. Falling in even when not running is very possible.

I like that I can and do wear it in the rain. Has a lot of flotation.

And like others know, wearing a big real one and working often aren't going together all that well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats pretty much it. My life could rely on it. And frankly I'm in danger just being on the bank or in the boat watching up to 6 folks. Falling in even when not running is very possible.

I like that I can and do wear it in the rain. Has a lot of flotation.

And like others know, wearing a big real one and working often aren't going together all that well.

That cold water can be instantaneously debilitating too.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,227
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.