Hop To
#1593373 08/09/07
T
Tag Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have done some backpack hunting out west but just wondering if anyone knows of some areas in MN/WI that are remote and make sense for a good pack in hunt for Archery deer/small game even. I don't think deer can be quartered in either state......

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, you will still have to drag or carry a field dressed deer. However, there are some wheeled carts that might be applicable. In the Boundary Waters the canoe is a possiblity but those portages will be a bit more difficult.

In Minnesota, the Boundary Waters are always available for a wilderness hunt. Not a lot of deer, but some big ones are available due to low pressure. A plethora of trails or the canoe will get you in. Check with the Superior National Forest for travel and camping restrictions.

In Wisconsin, there are possibilities in the National Forests and some State Wildlife Areas. Dispersed camping is allowed in all Wisconsin National Forests. Camping is not allowed in some State Wildlife Areas, but I doubt anyone would know. I hunt a State Wildlife Area in northern Wisconsin and generally only see a couple of people during 7 days of hunting. Generally, hunters do not stray more than a mile from a road. If you can find areas that take a good walk to get to they should be devoid of most hunters, and the ones who are there are probably serious guys.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hunting the Boundary Waters is really remote.
You might hear some grouse hunters in the distance on the weekend, but for the most part, it looks just like it did when the first white men canoed in there.

I have hunted bear there, and there are lots of them.
I saw moose and moose tracks. Hunting on the ground with a bow, I walked up to within 20 feet of a cow moose and some bowhunters came by my camp with a huge bull moose butchered up in their freighter canoe.

Deer seemed scarce, and I think it was the wolves that are the reason. It makes sense for a deer to move down to one of those grain farms where there are no wolves.

The UP is another great place to hunt. I have done that once.
Wisconsin has to have a bunch of remote woods full of big deer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 771 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,970
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.