Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
My SS will be penisalized when I retire because I have another pension, won’t be surprised if it’s all taken.

I have a vested pension that I haven't drawn yet. As far as I know SS won't penalize me for it.

GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My SS will be penisalized when I retire because I have another pension, won’t be surprised if it’s all taken.

From what I read, pension benefits do not normally affect one’s ability to draw SS at all. I am NOT an accountant, but it sounds like you should consult one

Besides, the idea of being penisalized sounds pretty creepy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since I’m not black, I expect to see nothing from SS.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

Have never heard of that either. Could you provide details?

I know my mother (who passed away in 2012) did not get penalized on SS due to her pension, earned from working for 40+ years as a university professor.

On the other hand, I told her my wife and I did not count on getting anything from SS, even though as both of us are self-employed, we paid 15% of our taxable income in SS tax. She was a llittle shocked by that, though this worked out OK.

On the other hand, neither of us feel anything approaching guilt from drawing SS income on what we paid in over the decades.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

I'll check later with my brother about his situation, similar to what Hanco posted. Something he called a "windfall" penalty or some such. He worked for some State and Local gooberment agencies over the years along with regular SS pay in types. I have a few things to do, but will try to remember to text him tonight.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by dale06
I think it will eventually become “means” tested. Meaning if you saved and lived responsively and are set financially, the feds will say you don’t need it, so we’re giving your SS to others, who “need” it.

Ok... I'll bite.

So, how are they going to pay ME back for all that money they took from me all those years with no interest that I could have invested elsewhere?

When they decide to do it......................

They're NOT going to pay you back.

They'll just tell you it was a tax you paid to be distributed as they see fit...............like all our other taxes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WMR

From what I read, pension benefits do not normally affect one’s ability to draw SS at all. I am NOT an accountant, but it sounds like you should consult one

Besides, the idea of being penisalized sounds pretty creepy.

For government employees there is a government pension offset.. hanco, you a govt employee?

Penalized... not penisalized wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As our population continues to age, it would seem like political suicide to sharply reduce SS benefits. Old folks vote in big numbers. Not many elected officials are willing to risk their jobs. I believe most people will continue to receive some $$. It would not surprise me to see it start later and perhaps be “means tested”. Lately it seems popular to try to stick it (further) to high income earners. This would be one more way.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If ss taxes were paid there is no penalty.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

My understanding is that your SS will be affected only if your employer didn't pay your social security. I draw a pension plus SS. My SS was reduced because I didn't wait until I reached my retirement age, I retired a year early. Talk to your benefits rep.

IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Scout308
If ss taxes were paid there is no penalty.

Thanks for the info. As an aside, if no SS taxes were paid, why would one expect to collect any benefits at all?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Go to the ss site. They have all the info.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every parasite in America is receiving SS, along with other benefits. There are hundreds of thousands of government employees who's only job is to make sure they get it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, and others.

As Scout mentions, it depends on if SS taxes were paid on a "private" pension, Or a gooberment pension as in State or Local.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/wep.html

In some cases, even though a person worked for years in a SS taxed job, and apparently had the quarters necessary to qualify, their SS benefits will be cut due to the non taxed pension they are drawing from.

In it is contentment

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I’ve been getting mine for two years. I pretend im a welfare recipient

I'm with ya, hanco. I think it will eventually be completely stolen, at gunpoint.

Payroll taxes are all essentially stolen at gunpoint, else we wouldn't be 25 gorillian in debt and still printing.

The gunpoint end should be at the other end at this stage, but getting ripped off 20 times and getting paid back with inflated currency sure makes everything taste better.

It's not like anyone is serious about paying anything back, down or sideways, so why the taxes? Just print money...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HawkI

I'm with ya, hanco. I think it will eventually be completely stolen, at gunpoint.

Payroll taxes are all essentially stolen at gunpoint, else we wouldn't be 25 gorillian in debt and still printing.

The gunpoint end should be at the other end at this stage, but getting ripped off 20 times and getting paid back with inflated currency sure makes everything taste better.

It's not like anyone is serious about paying anything back, down or sideways, so why the taxes? Just print money...

One method that the government uses is to offer SS at 62 years old. They save 25%. This is done while delaying eligibility to 67 years old. All this is going on while people are dying. The combination of all these programs saves them a lot of money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MM879

One method that the government uses is to offer SS at 62 years old. They save 25%. This is done while delaying eligibility to 67 years old. All this is going on while people are dying. The combination of all these programs saves them a lot of money.

Had I known the situation would turn into the dumpster fire it is today, I would have taken mine at 62.

I told my brother who is 60, get it the second you turn 62. He's in the process of retiring now, anyway.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Had I known the situation would turn into the dumpster fire it is today, I would have taken mine at 62.

I told my brother who is 60, get it the second you turn 62. He's in the process of retiring now, anyway.

I have re-visited the decision many times. For me it comes down to future cash flow, with health coming in a close second. The younger people with no pension who have to waite to 67 is a more difficult decision.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I have re-visited the decision many times. For me it comes down to future cash flow, with health coming in a close second. The younger people with no pension who have to waite to 67 is a more difficult decision.

My brother's got plenty of dough. Advice was more along the line of get it while you can before these communists rewrite the rules and redistribute what he's paid in for the last 50 years. He too has worked his ass off all his life. He'll be up rubbing elbows with slum and rene soon. That'll be a picture. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

My brother's got plenty of dough. Advice was more along the line of get it while you can before these communists rewrite the rules and redistribute what he's paid in for the last 50 years. He too has worked his ass off all his life. He'll be up rubbing elbows with slum and rene soon. That'll be a picture. smile

When you can eat at Arbys or KFC any time you want, all bets are off. Your brother should pray for a SS buy out program. Instant cash would be a big gift.

Last edited by MM879; 03/25/21.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 22kHornet, 59 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,361
Posts18,527,204
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.