24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage #15934131 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
I have a 250 Savage coming my way and I am wondering what bullets others have used and liked in their rifle. This one is a bolt with a 1-10 twist. Have most of you stayed with bullets which are 100 grains and under or have you tried the heavier ones too?

BP-B2

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15934168 03/24/21
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 47,589
DigitalDan Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 47,589
100 gr NPT, 100 yards om the bottom, 85 BT on the top

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]



I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain


Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15934426 03/24/21
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,832
C
CGPAUL Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
C
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,832
With a 1/10 twist, we have options, 87 and over for deer, under that for varmints. Truth be told tho, I shoot more 110`s and above.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15934507 03/24/21
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,047
P
PennDog Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
P
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,047
Not much help here as my two favorite bullets have been discontinued - the Nosler 100grain solid base boattail and the Hornady 100 spire point. That said hard to beat the 100 grain Nosler Partition as an all around bullet in the .250.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 03/24/21.
Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: DigitalDan] #15934556 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
100 gr NPT, 100 yards om the bottom, 85 BT on the top

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]



Very accurate...what type of rifle are you shooting?

IC-A

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: CGPAUL] #15934560 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
With a 1/10 twist, we have options, 87 and over for deer, under that for varmints. Truth be told tho, I shoot more 110`s and above.

Do you find the heavier bullets expand adequately with the reduced horsepower of the 250?

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: PennDog] #15934563 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by PennDog
Not much help here as my two favorite bullets have been discontinued - the Nosler 100grain solid base boattail and the Hornady 100 spire point. That said hard to beat the 100 grain Nosler Partition as an all around bullet in the .250.

PennDog


I would love to find some, but it seems they are out of stock everywhere.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15934636 03/24/21
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 53
S
stringnut Offline
Member
Offline
Member
S
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 53
Current Favorite is the 100 gr Sierra pro hunter because I have about 300 hundred left. The ones we have recovered from deer have all weighed about 60 grains. Broadsides , even at a couple of hundred yards, exit unless both shoulders are hit solid. Over the last 30 some years the wife has “ field tested” Sierra pro hunter, Speer hot cor , and Hornady interlock on deer and there is no noticeable difference. Dad used a 257 Roberts for about 15 years and I jumped on the 250 Savage bandwagon about ten years ago. All velocities were between 2750 and 2900 FPS. Just seems to be a good speed range for cup and core bullets. Which one we used doesn’t seem to make any difference in performance on game. Accuracy may vary a bit , but, haven’t really gone crazy trying to prove one bullet is better than another. We are not long range shooters and the 250 isn’t a long range wonder, so, it works out!

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: stringnut] #15934707 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by stringnut
Current Favorite is the 100 gr Sierra pro hunter because I have about 300 hundred left. The ones we have recovered from deer have all weighed about 60 grains. Broadsides , even at a couple of hundred yards, exit unless both shoulders are hit solid. Over the last 30 some years the wife has “ field tested” Sierra pro hunter, Speer hot cor , and Hornady interlock on deer and there is no noticeable difference. Dad used a 257 Roberts for about 15 years and I jumped on the 250 Savage bandwagon about ten years ago. All velocities were between 2750 and 2900 FPS. Just seems to be a good speed range for cup and core bullets. Which one we used doesn’t seem to make any difference in performance on game. Accuracy may vary a bit , but, haven’t really gone crazy trying to prove one bullet is better than another. We are not long range shooters and the 250 isn’t a long range wonder, so, it works out!



Awesome! It sounds like any cup and core will work within this velocity window. Now, if I can just find some wink

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15934709 03/24/21
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 47,589
DigitalDan Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 47,589
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
100 gr NPT, 100 yards om the bottom, 85 BT on the top

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]



Very accurate...what type of rifle are you shooting?


Rem 700ADL with a new barrel.


I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain


IC-B

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15935016 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,230
O
Offshoreman Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,230
Over the last 30+ years my family members have 19 (1-shot) white tail kills up to 210 yards with the Nosler 100-grain Ballistic Tip with muzzle velocity of app 2850. All were body shots, with most dropped on the spot but none ran more than 15 yards. A good friend has had similar results with the 100-grain Partition.


AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15935220 03/24/21
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 10,164
S
shootinurse Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 10,164
75gr V-max at 32-3400fps make an awesome groundhog rifle, and 100gr Hornadys or NBTs do the trick on deer. The 87gr Hot-core from my 1:14 99 Savage is pure poison on deer, as well.



Gun control...schemed by tyrants and supported by fools.
Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: Offshoreman] #15935236 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Over the last 30+ years my family members have 19 (1-shot) white tail kills up to 210 yards with the Nosler 100-grain Ballistic Tip with muzzle velocity of app 2850. All were body shots, with most dropped on the spot but none ran more than 15 yards. A good friend has had similar results with the 100-grain Partition.


I am kind of partial to Nosler bullets on big game. I used a bunch of 120 grain NBT in a 7mm-08 and 280 early in my hunting. Good to know they work work in 25 cal too. How big are your deer in SC?

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: shootinurse] #15935240 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by shootinurse
75gr V-max at 32-3400fps make an awesome groundhog rifle, and 100gr Hornadys or NBTs do the trick on deer. The 87gr Hot-core from my 1:14 99 Savage is pure poison on deer, as well.


Yeah... I would love to smack a groundhog with a 75 grain Vmax in this rifle.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15935279 03/24/21
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 52,210
M
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
M
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 52,210
If the 100 Partition shoots well (and it usually will even in a 1-14 twist barrel), it works great on game--even elk.

But my favorite deer bullet in the .250 is the 100-grain Hot-Cor. Generally shoots well in1-14 twist barrels, and kills very well. If it won't shoot, the 87 Hot-Cor will.


“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: Mule Deer] #15935330 03/24/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
barm Offline OP
Campfire Guide
OP Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If the 100 Partition shoots well (and it usually will even in a 1-14 twist barrel), it works great on game--even elk.

But my favorite deer bullet in the .250 is the 100-grain Hot-Cor. Generally shoots well in1-14 twist barrels, and kills very well. If it won't shoot, the 87 Hot-Cor will.



Thank you, Mule Deer. I will keep an eye out for the Speer bullets as well. Good to know about the 100 grain Partition for elk too.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15935332 03/24/21
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 242
W
WMR Online Content
Member
Online Content
Member
W
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 242
Get some of those cheap 115 grain Partition blems from SPS. I’ll bet they’d zip along fast enough to kill like crazy. Certainly should equal or exceed the old 117 grain Roberts load, and that one has killed a bunch of stuff. Still does in my family. To be fair, our shots are not usually at long range, so velocity has not dropped much.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15935440 03/24/21
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,492
L
lotech Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,492
100 Sierra ProHunter and H4895. Very accurate, and excellent for whitetail deer.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15935793 03/25/21
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,110
Elvis Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,110
The 100gn Hornady Interlock is my faviourite bullet in my Ruger Ultralight 20 inch barrel with 1:10 twist. As everyone knows that bullet is discontinued but i have 11 or 12 boxes that I squirreled away. The 100gn Ballistic Tip was too hard in my rifle as velocity at 2772 fps in the 20 inch barrel. The Hornady seems to drop pigs a lot quicker where they ran aways with the Nosler bullet. Bullets of 100gn are the only weight I have ever loaded in mine.

Re: Favorite bullet for a 250 Savage [Re: barm] #15936372 03/25/21
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,309
jorgeI Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,309
I use the 100gr Hornady as well. They are discontinued but I have a good supply. DD care to share your load for the NPT? smile


Teddy Roosevelt, John Wayne, Winston Churchill paid to hunt....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1b
Who's Online Now
690 registered members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1100mag, 77 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,079 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.28 Page Time: 0.057s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8770 MB (Peak: 1.0372 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-05-17 21:42:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS