Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
One thing I would strongly suggest is getting involved with IDPA, USPSA or similar action-shooting discipline. You don't need a lot of money or equipment to get started and you don't have to burn the stages like a pro. Shooting against the timer, engaging targets in tactical priority, not breaking any rules, people watching you.... all this gives you practice at handling your gun and shooting under a certain amount of stress, as well as shooting, moving and thinking all combined. Even the bottom tier of frequent tactical shooting competitors will be ahead, in a bad situation, of the guy who shoots tin cans and bullseyes once in a while and spends the rest of his time arguing stopping power, bullet performance, magazine capacity, operating systems, and on and on and on

Yep. Great recommendation !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Posing somewhat of a hypothetical and excuse the topic if it’s been discussed thoroughly before. Wanted opinions on a home defense situation regarding one shot stopping/disabling perp in home from 10 yards or so. Realize the situation would call for possibly multiple shots however trying to get a better understanding of which provides highest probability of 1 shot rendering the perp and the threat neutralized. Consider both being good hits square in the middle of the upper chest.

Firearms would be 1911 platform for both 45ACP and 9mm Para. Both would be a 4.2” commander based model with both shooting JHP. 45ACP with 230 grain JHP, 9mm being 125-130 grain JHP.

No body armor encounter just a perp in street cloths. Realizing this is subjective would like to hear opinions on one shot stopping power regarding both.

Common sense indicates 11,43mm can be more forgiving in bullet expansion department than a 9mm. Another plus for 11,43mm is substantially heavier bullet weight if 230gr loads are used. Another way to settle this is just to look pics of two cartridges next to one another.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 1911A1 type actually states it is chambered for a 11.43MM cartridge .. Either will work, but in a stressful situation a 12 gauge with buck is your best bet. I shoot the 45 1911 very well, but have shot the 9mm's as well. EDC is a Sig 238, only a 9X17.. also do well with it, and it is a tiny little thing. Hoping I never actually have to use any of them. The old Boy Scout motto, be prepared.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shot placement trumps all, never a downside to more magazine capacity. Fast accurate followup shots are also a plus.
Plus P ammo is a plus in my experience if you shoot them well.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by David_Walter
To @UPHiker’s point,

When the police take my $500 Glock for evidence, I’ll be rearmed with a similar $500 Glock in minutes.

I have a guy who is a retired LEO who had some former “clients” break into his house and he shot them with his $3,200 Ed brown 1911.

They still have his gun in the evidence locker.

damn the cost, I am going with efficiency, efficacy, and results. I can buy another $3K pistol. Or whatever.

Yes, but I don't know how a $3000 1911 45 will do better than a $600 G21.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
UPhiker

it's all up to you my friend. Pick the one you use the best, not the one that costs the most or the least. Your life may be on the line, not your pocketbook.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by David_Walter
To @UPHiker’s point,

When the police take my $500 Glock for evidence, I’ll be rearmed with a similar $500 Glock in minutes.

I have a guy who is a retired LEO who had some former “clients” break into his house and he shot them with his $3,200 Ed brown 1911.

They still have his gun in the evidence locker.

damn the cost, I am going with efficiency, efficacy, and results. I can buy another $3K pistol. Or whatever.

But I do know what my AR pistol with a can and Aimpoint do better than a G21......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't argue with the shotgun recommendation. A 20 gauge vs 12, might be just as effective, less recoil, faster shot to shot....

Hopefully none of us will ever be put in a compromised situation.

But to handgun chambering? I would be happy with whatever I shoot well that has proper ammo.

Last edited by 65BR; 03/27/21.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
In terms of one shot stops, consider this.

Lots of people are dropped with one shot. Or two.

What 99.9% of the inexperienced public don't realize is that just because you shoot someone, it does not mean that you are going to get an instantaneous reaction. It will likely take a bit. By the time you see the physiological reaction from the first shot, you may have put 5, 6 or 8 more into the guy, or guys. They may also have not stopped doing what they were doing that caused you to shoot them in the first place. You may take some hits in the mean time. Or get stabbed. Or hit by a hammer.

It takes a bit to see a reaction. Quite often you have to hammer people, unless you get lucky and get an CNS hit that flips a switch.

That is the reality.

This nonsense that you are going to calmly take your J Frame and place one round perfectly into the shirt button of a bad guy, , then calmly do the same to the next is just that. Nonsense.

It can be more like the all out knock down drag out event that happens when a football gets loose on the snap.
Another excellent spot-on post - and by someone that we ALL should be paying attention to.. Kudos, MS...

Are you his royal penis cleaner?

You cheerleaders are a hoot!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
All this talk of AR's and Shotguns is nice, but truth of the matter is, for those of us who EDC, even at home, that's the gun typically on us or within reach. It's also what we carry the most, are most familiar with, and probably shoot the most.

Most events we "check out" are mundane and don't warrant grabbing a long gun, especially if you live in an urban area and might have to venture outside to see what's going on. We don't need Karen calling the cops on us. In the event of glass breaking, or gun shots that are really close, well, that's different and warrants a different response, but those are a small minority of occurrences.

There's a lot of good advise in this thread, but first apply it to your carry gun. Whether your inside your home, or out and about, in most instances that's what's you'll have, so choose something sufficient for as many tasks as possible.

And if you don't have an EDC, well, you need need to change that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ll argue against shotguns. Especially pump shotguns. I’ve seen lots of people get wild with one because they can’t manage the recoil, or have feeding issues due to short shucking or other issues that come from a lack of practice. A rifle with the right ammo won’t penetrate any more walls than a shotgun, sometimes less. Recoil is manageable, all you have to do is take the safety off and pull the trigger. An AR is also more ergonomically suited to a short length of pull.

My HD guns are 11.5 ARs with lights and aimpoints. I also have a couple M&P45 2.0 pistols with lights as well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.