Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DBT
If there was clear evidence to support the existence of God, whatever the version may be, there would be little or no dispute. As it is, the believer goes on what is written in their bible, Quran, Gita, etc, in the assumption that this is evidence of truth.

Interesting.

I believe, and that belief is between God and I.

Furthermore I do not really care if others believe or not, nor do I care about proof of either my belief or what leads to it.

What I DO care about is cunts pushing THEIR beliefs on to me...I won't have it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by DBT
If there was clear evidence to support the existence of God, whatever the version may be, there would be little or no dispute. As it is, the believer goes on what is written in their bible, Quran, Gita, etc, in the assumption that this is evidence of truth.

Interesting.

Furthermore I do not really care if others believe or not, nor do I care about proof of either my belief or what leads to it.

Fair enough. Your belief is your own business. Nobody has to discuss their belief or their lack of conviction. It's up to the individual.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DBT

Fair enough. Your belief is your own business. Nobody has to discuss their belief or their lack of conviction. It's up to the individual.

Be nothing wrong with having you for a neighbour...something that cannot be said for a lot of others.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DBT

Evidence of supper is when you eat it. Denying it exists and claiming the only thing supporting the existence of supper is a recipe card.

I know you don’t believe that or you wouldn’t waste everyone’s time here denying God’s existence, because you would cease to live. God is the sustenance for the soul and that is eternal, your body isn’t.

One day, like all that deny God, you will find out how wrong you are and the only thing to provide you with any consolation, will be the forgiveness of the very being you say doesn’t exist.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by DBT

Evidence of supper is when you eat it. Denying it exists and claiming the only thing supporting the existence of supper is a recipe card.

I know you don’t believe that or you wouldn’t waste everyone’s time here denying God’s existence, because you would cease to live. God is the sustenance for the soul and that is eternal, your body isn’t.

One day, like all that deny God, you will find out how wrong you are and the only thing to provide you with any consolation, will be the forgiveness of the very being you say doesn’t exist.

Surprised you didn't just say "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah"...and stick your tongue out.

Because that is what you typed amounted to.

IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Evidence of supper is on the plate for anyone who is present to see. To lack convinction is a matter of insufficient evidence rather than a 'denial of God.' Justification is the issue. Your culture and circumstances brought you to Christianity, other cultures and other circumstances bring people to Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, whatever the case may be....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DBT

Surprised you didn't just say "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah"...and stick your tongue out.

Because that is what you typed amounted to.

You are better than that, don’t demean yourself with a pathetic analysis here such as this.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DBT

Evidence of supper is on the plate for anyone who is present to see. To lack convinction is a matter of insufficient evidence rather than a 'denial of God.' Justification is the issue. Your culture and circumstances brought you to Christianity, other cultures and other circumstances bring people to Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, whatever the case may be....

Beliefs have little to do with what is. One day, all mankind will come to terms with what is absolute, and regardless of where you were born and who taught you what, the truth will be manifested.

No judgement here, it isn’t for me to judge. No condemnation either, just a voice in the wilderness confessing a witness to the existence of only one God that we will all be subject to, regardless of our upbringing or country of origin.

I can’t prove it, but no one can prove me wrong and I am not alone in my convictions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Hastings

Law courts require a certain standard
of objective evidence to prove something,
unlike faith which is subjective and can
fluctuate wildly from one individual to
another.

Are you requiring proof (of the supernatural) beyond any doubt? ... ......

Surely you noticed I referenced Law courts which require
evidence of varying degree without the requirement of
meeting the std. of your 'beyond any doubt'.
Let's begin with;
Beyond a reasonable doubt , which is the legal burden
of proof required to affirm a conviction...meaning one must
convince a jury that there is no other reasonable explanation
that can come from the evidence presented.
Then we have the lower standard of proof called;
Preponderance of Evidence.
Like I said earlier , we don't know how far down
the path of rational explanations you have explored
for Israelis winning the war and establishing Israel,
before adopting your supernatural belief.
Put it this way , if you were on a jury where
the defendant was claiming ,the 'hand of God'
forced them to kill someone , what would it take
you to buy their story? .Would you believe it as
easily as you do supernatural intervention on
behalf of Israel?
If you were going to explain how everything we know came into existence what would you say? If you don't know, well what do you think was the primal creative force? Even if you subscribe to the big bang (which I sort of do) where did all this energy and matter come from? I am interested in what you believe. We know what you disbelieve.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Interesting.

I don’t have any more issue with you thinking differently about God and wanting to keep it to yourself than I do with a guy who’d prefer a .270 vs my .30-06... and I don’t mind a good spirited “argument” over which is “best”.

If people are to argue about stuff over which I care not, I don’t participate. If someone wants to tell me I’m wrong for an opinion I hold I engage or don’t engage by choice; no one can force me to read a thread or a post I do so of my own free will.

Everyone has the right to speak. How I respond to them is what’s up to me. I make a decision to engage when I open a thread, or post a comment. That’s on me.

Originally Posted by DBT

Be nothing wrong with having you for a neighbour...something that cannot be said for a lot of others.

I completely agree with DBT.

It’s also up to you if you want to discuss your ideas... and even do so in a manner that displays poor taste by my standards... on a public forum. I won’t ever complain.

Again, if I don’t care to participate I don’t open the thread.

Speech is not violence; verbalizing an opinion is not automatically an attempt to convert those who disagree.

Public discussion boards are for public discussion.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
To have faith is to believe without evidence....

OR - also to believe with all sorts of evidence?
No, given evidence there is no need for faith.
NO - what is evidence to one is not necessarily evidence to another, and there could be no way for me to validate yours, or you you to validate mine. Faith, and its actuation in humans, is not cut and dried by a dictionary definition. So, yes.
Evidence is a body of information that supports a certain conclusion regardless of who examines it. Evidence cannot support contradictory or opposing conclusions. You cannot have a dream or vision and claim this as proof that the things you dreamt are literally true and factual.
Correct to an extent, but only in part. One does not get to create his/her own tight little definitions simply to prove one's point. Evidence can simply be that, and it does not have to be in a "body" and it does not have to support any specific conclusion in order to be evidence. It may be helpful in proving a point, or it may clarify toward some end, or it may be additive to an eventual conclusion, and other such things. We often hear the official report "so far, the evidence is inconclusive". A person may possess a bunch of evidence about something while it still is not a body that supports a specific conclusion - and very well have faith in that conclusion. Faith and evidence are not mutually exclusive.

Tight definition? Science cannot function if each researcher has their own definition or idea of what evidence is. The Law does not work on the principle of what is considered evidence one day but not the next.

Evidence is not something that works one moment but not the next.

The laws of physics don't alter for the benefit of a believer, this one moment, that the next.

The world is what it is regardless of who believes what.

If someone has evidence for the existence of their version of God, anyone should be able to examine that evidence. What the believer feels is evidence may be mistaken. What it says in our holy books is not evidence for the truth of their claims.
Interesting views - seems to be nothing worth arguing but would point out that you open with a comment about the function of science. All well and good, if you are conducting a rigorous scientific experiment, go ahead and define terms and evidence any way you wish - it is your science. But, this discussion has not been about science - it has been about faith. My experienced observations have been made in that light.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DBT, again we have the evidence based faith types in CCCC raising their heads...they don seem to have any consistent std. of evidence they go by with the aim of constituting proof.
Now Stabucks, you went out with the housecleaning, and how did you get out of that dumpster anyway - or have you simply raised the lid? Well - you missed some stuff - you are way off topic. Now, close the lid and re-assume your banishment like a good boy.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
They never provide evidence there is no GOD. We have hope.They have hope. We have a prayer. They dont. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
To have faith is to believe without evidence....

OR - also to believe with all sorts of evidence?
No, given evidence there is no need for faith.
NO - what is evidence to one is not necessarily evidence to another, and there could be no way for me to validate yours, or you you to validate mine. Faith, and its actuation in humans, is not cut and dried by a dictionary definition. So, yes.
Evidence is a body of information that supports a certain conclusion regardless of who examines it. Evidence cannot support contradictory or opposing conclusions. You cannot have a dream or vision and claim this as proof that the things you dreamt are literally true and factual.
Correct to an extent, but only in part. One does not get to create his/her own tight little definitions simply to prove one's point. Evidence can simply be that, and it does not have to be in a "body" and it does not have to support any specific conclusion in order to be evidence. It may be helpful in proving a point, or it may clarify toward some end, or it may be additive to an eventual conclusion, and other such things. We often hear the official report "so far, the evidence is inconclusive". A person may possess a bunch of evidence about something while it still is not a body that supports a specific conclusion - and very well have faith in that conclusion. Faith and evidence are not mutually exclusive.

Tight definition? Science cannot function if each researcher has their own definition or idea of what evidence is. The Law does not work on the principle of what is considered evidence one day but not the next.

Evidence is not something that works one moment but not the next.

The laws of physics don't alter for the benefit of a believer, this one moment, that the next.

The world is what it is regardless of who believes what.

If someone has evidence for the existence of their version of God, anyone should be able to examine that evidence. What the believer feels is evidence may be mistaken. What it says in our holy books is not evidence for the truth of their claims.
Interesting views - seems to be nothing worth arguing but would point out that you open with a comment about the function of science. All well and good, if you are conducting a rigorous scientific experiment, go ahead and define terms and evidence any way you wish - it is your science. But, this discussion hs not been about science - it has been about faith. My experienced observations have been made in that light.

Actually, evidence can support contradictory and opposing conclusions. That was the quality of the evidence and the quality of the interpretation of said evidence matter. It's also why I as for "good evidence" and not just "evidence". Let me give a example from an actual call in T.V. show. A lady calls in claiming she can prove the existence of God. He proof? She was driving down the road and low tire pressure warning light went on. She wasn't close to home was worried about being able to safely drive her vehicle, so she prayed to God for a solution. At the next exit she pulled into a gas station, and the gas station attendant aired up her tires for he. This was her "proof" God existed. I'd seriously question both the quality of this evidence and her interpretation, and if it's anywhere nearly sufficient to prove her extraordinary claim.

That's the issue with so much of what theist consider "evidence". They present poor interpretations of poor evidence, and often, it's the worst possible kind of evidence, that which cannot be independently verified. This evidence is even worse than that in the example above, because even though her argument is so terrible, at least we could verify the existence of the gas station and gas station attendant if we cared to go interview him just after the event.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
They never provide evidence there is no GOD. We have hope.They have hope. We have a prayer. They dont. wink

And you've provided no good evidence against the other 2,499 god(s) I listed above, so, by your standards, you must believe in all of them as well.

Be sure to face Mecca and pray 5 times today, and attend Mosque tomorrow.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am interested in what you believe. We know what you disbelieve.

Since you believe in supernatural acts ..

Do you even mildly entertain the possibility that
pagan gods the Romans worshipped, divinely
assisted them in their empire building.?

Why would some deity help Israel and not Rome?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... All well and good, if you are conducting a rigorous scientific experiment, go ahead and define terms and evidence any way you wish - it is your science. But, this discussion has not been about science - it has been about faith...

You haven't provided any std. by which you judge
or discern the quality of evidence you use for your
faith, which means 'anything goes' in the head of
a Christian.

History has repeatedly shown such approach
to be a disaster.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Actually, evidence can support contradictory and opposing conclusions. That was the quality of the evidence and the quality of the interpretation of said evidence matter. It's also why I as for "good evidence" and not just "evidence". Let me give a example from an actual call in T.V. show. A lady calls in claiming she can prove the existence of God. He proof? She was driving down the road and low tire pressure warning light went on. She wasn't close to home was worried about being able to safely drive her vehicle, so she prayed to God for a solution. At the next exit she pulled into a gas station, and the gas station attendant aired up her tires for he. This was her "proof" God existed. I'd seriously question both the quality of this evidence and her interpretation, and if it's anywhere nearly sufficient to prove her extraordinary claim.

That's the issue with so much of what theist consider "evidence". They present poor interpretations of poor evidence, and often, it's the worst possible kind of evidence, that which cannot be independently verified. This evidence is even worse than that in the example above, because even though her argument is so terrible, at least we could verify the existence of the gas station and gas station attendant if we cared to go interview him just after the event.
I agree with a number of statements in this post, and especially the first statement.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Interesting views - seems to be nothing worth arguing but would point out that you open with a comment about the function of science. All well and good, if you are conducting a rigorous scientific experiment, go ahead and define terms and evidence any way you wish - it is your science. But, this discussion hs not been about science - it has been about faith. My experienced observations have been made in that light.

As I said in another post earlier in this thread, the scientism of modernity gave way to post modernity because societally we all know on a very deep level that science cannot explain some of the central phenomena that make us human.

Scientism is just another myth which seeks to help us understand the world in which we dwell. It fit a time and place and lead to much progress by any objective standard, but has collapsed under the weight heaped upon it by many who claim to have been its most zealous adherents.

Remember science started, imperfectly as it was, to show that the laws of nature are predictable because their author was equally so. Separated from that foundational presupposition and asked to support explanations for what should be rather than simply the processes that brought about what is, it collapses.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Actually, evidence can support contradictory and opposing conclusions.

I agree absolutely. That is why I subscribe to all the tenets of orthodox (small o) Christianity AND agree with the enlightened pluralism enshrined in the Constitution. For me they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I’ve met far smarter men who rejected my faith; I have met far more ethical, moral men who eschewed Christianity’s claims. There can be no doubt there are a great many who deny my Lord and make wonderful neighbors.

Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 26 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.