Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Up until 3.5 years ago, I had never dropped a tree. Now, it's second only to mowing.

I took a wild hair and bought a little patch of property that a hippie family had allowed to become over grown while they did their "back to nature" bullshit.

I've been cutting trees and brush ever since.

I don't have any exotic equipment, so I go at it with a chainsaw, a chipper, a 65 year old body, a 70 year old tractor, and a Bic lighter assisted by some stock in a charcoal lighter company.

I dug a pretty good sized hole out back to burn it all in. So far this year I've cut down and burned a 25' spruce tree that had died, (after cutting all the ancient Christmas tree lights out of it) and some type of exotic Maple tree that hippies seem attracted to. I liked the Maple tree too,...but evidently, they planted it when they were too stoned to realize that they set it out right under the power lines that feeds 3 houses out here.

For the past few years one of my favorite activities is to spend the day hanging out back by the fire hole pitching a dissected tree into it while occasionally taking sips from the pint bottle which stays secured in the bib pocket in a pair of Liberty overalls.

It's a lot of work,..and I have to take regular breaks to keep my wind up. But I'm glad that it's tree cutting/burning, pint sipping time again.

Every age has its high spots. As a young man it was chasing puzzy,...at middle age lt was making kids and being driven crazy by the wife I had then,...as a senior citizen, my high point is to cut and burn trees while I sip on a favored libation until the sun sets and I wander back to the house to shower and sink into the bed.

I like this age. I'm stooped,..every joint in my body hurts,..I'm old, ugly, and all my hair has fallen out. But I can stand by a fire pit out on the backside of my property by myself,...watch the trees I've cleared burn,..sip on a pint, and be at peace with the world.

All in all, it beats the hell out of that disco ball I was dancing under back in '77.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a lot of stuff that beats doing a Travolta imitation. Glad you're happy. I shot the Security 9 with my son the other day. That made me happy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got a way with words Bristoe.
No surrender! Gettin' old ain't for puzzies.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
How you like that Security 9?

Mine might be the best $300 firearm I've bought recently. (although it's hard to find them for $299.95 this days. They seem to be going for about $370 these days)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So far, so good. I bought it on your recommendation as I was looking to spend up the $300 in Cabela's and BPS points I had. I think it cost right around what you said...$370 after taxes and such. So I was only out $70 or so in cash. No bobbles with the ammo we shot in it thus far. I like it well enough I ordered two more fifteen round clips (the new 17 rounders were sold out) and a mag loader. Mag loader is for the SIG P938 as much as anything. I love the SIG, but hate loading the mags for it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Up until 3.5 years ago, I had never dropped a tree. Now, it's second only to mowing.

I took a wild hair and bought a little patch of property that a hippie family had allowed to become over grown while they did their "back to nature" bullshit.

I've been cutting trees and brush ever since.

I don't have any exotic equipment, so I go at it with a chainsaw, a chipper, a 65 year old body, a 70 year old tractor, and a Bic lighter assisted by some stock in a charcoal lighter company.

I dug a pretty good sized hole out back to burn it all in. So far this year I've cut down and burned a 25' spruce tree that had died, (after cutting all the ancient Christmas tree lights out of it) and some type of exotic Maple tree that hippies seem attracted to. I liked the Maple tree too,...but evidently, they planted it when they were too stoned to realize that they set it out right under the power lines that feeds 3 houses out here.

For the past few years one of my favorite activities is to spend the day hanging out back by the fire hole pitching a dissected tree into it while occasionally taking sips from the pint bottle which stays secured in the bib pocket in a pair of Liberty overalls.

It's a lot of work,..and I have to take regular breaks to keep my wind up. But I'm glad that it's tree cutting/burning, pint sipping time again.

Every age has its high spots. As a young man it was chasing puzzy,...at middle age lt was making kids and being driven crazy by the wife I had then,...as a senior citizen, my high point is to cut and burn trees while I sip on a favored libation until the sun sets and I wander back to the house to shower and sink into the bed.

I like this age. I'm stooped,..every joint in my body hurts,..I'm old, ugly, and all my hair has fallen out. But I can stand by a fire pit out on the backside of my property by myself,...watch the trees I've cleared burn,..sip on a pint, and be at peace with the world.

All in all, it beats the hell out of that disco ball I was dancing under back in '77.

I have a tool for you to add to your collection. I use a 65' 3/8 cable to haul brush. Just circle the burn pile a few times and pull the wad right up in top.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
That would probably work.

I cut everything above 3" diameter up and put it in the firewood stack.

Today, I put all the limbs in the back of my F-150,..hauled it back by the fire pit, then let the tailgate down, tied a string onto a limb on the bottom and pulled the whole mess out of the back of my pick-up with the tractor.

It's supposed to rain all night. After the rain quits, I'll go back there with my chainsaw and cut the pile up into pieces that will fit in my fire hole and pitch them in it as necessary.

It all goes pretty fast once everything gets going.

I was standing there looking at all the limbs stacked in the back of my old pick up,..and it brought to mind the album cover of Led Zeppelin four.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dammit, son. You're killin' me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That would probably work.

I cut everything above 3" diameter up and put it in the firewood stack.

Today, I put all the limbs in the back of my F-150,..hauled it back by the fire pit, then let the tailgate down, tied a string onto a limb on the bottom and pulled the whole mess out of the back of my pick-up with the tractor.

It's supposed to rain all night. After the rain quits, I'll go back there with my chainsaw and cut the pile up into pieces that will fit in my fire hole and pitch them in it as necessary.

It all goes pretty fast once everything gets going.

I was standing there looking at all the limbs stacked in the back of my old pick up,..and it brought to mind the album cover of Led Zeppelin four.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had that album.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Dammit, son. You're killin' me.

lolol,...it's true! I was standing there looking at my old pick up stacked full with limbs and something like deja vu kept pulling at me.

After a while I figured out what it was.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Led Zep lV is one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

I also enjoy a nice bonfire and libations.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Reminds me of Topol in “Fiddler on the Roof!”

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No campfire to burn some of that wood in?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds great. Glad to hear your content.

My concern w/ yer property would be all the residual hippie. Any luck with the remediation? Sounds like that could be an expensive proposition.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Sounds great. Glad to hear your content.

My concern w/ yer property would be all the residual hippie. Any luck with the remediation? Sounds like that could be an expensive proposition.

You gonna make me google "remediation".

I've got a decent vocabulary,.....but it ain't like I'm Shakespeare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How didja' remove the residual hippie?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Sold it?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is nothing I love more than to crank up the Stihl and cut up an oak tree. Then I get out the Fiskars maul and split it into firewood.
Then I stack it in the woodshed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We winter and calve out most of our cows on few hundred acres of mixed river bottom 'brush'. Mostly cotton wood regarding larger trees.

The amount of fallen branches is staggering.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We winter and calve out most of our cows on few hundred acres of mixed river bottom 'brush'. Mostly cotton wood regarding larger trees.

The amount of fallen branches is staggering.

Do you clean them up or just let'em rot?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.