Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, I know, it's risky. Anyone ever done it with a good outcome? Tricks of the trade you care to share?

Tarquin
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Question, do you mean a vehicle that has been written off by an insurance company?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
In Arizona, that's called a "salvage title." Nearly 20 years ago, I bought a Nissan Sentra that a local body man had repaired. The local auto shop teacher recommended him. Good price. Transportation for new drivers. Sold it when no longer needed. I still see it in town occasionally. If the frame is straight, most anything else can be fixed.

Calvin Coolidge had a very low post count too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crockettinaz
In Arizona, that's called a "salvage title." Nearly 20 years ago, I bought a Nissan Sentra that a local body man had repaired. The local auto shop teacher recommended him. Good price. Transportation for new drivers. Sold it when no longer needed. I still see it in town occasionally. If the frame is straight, most anything else can be fixed.

This ^^^^^

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Question, do you mean a vehicle that has been written off by an insurance company?

Yes. Then rebuilt and a new title issued called a "Rebuilt Title". The issue is how serious was the original damage and how competently was it repaired.

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. It would depend. Body damage is one thing, but I'd probably avoid anything that was 'totaled' because of flooding. Way too many electronics on modern vehicles.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 03/27/21.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
No. It would depend. Body damage is one thing, but I'd probably avoid anything that was 'totaled' because of flooding. Way too many electronics on modern vehicles.

I absolutely agree on flooding. No way would I purchase. Collision damage? It depends. That's what I am looking into.

Tarquin
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Make sure your insurance company will cover it

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes.

Tarquin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my suppliers drove around in a Honda Accord the insurance company had totalled because of hail damage. It was near new, and ran for several hundred K more miles, but looked a bit pimply.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sure. We’ve bought several wrecks and rebuilt them. They drive the same as any other vehicle. They do not sell as well as one with a clean title. I’ve learned that buying a car from another state with a salvage title is no bueno, at least here in Tennessee. As others have said, avoid flood cars like the plague. They may he fine now, but once corrosion starts, you’ll have all manner of electrical gremlins.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got one.... salvage tile is what it is called up here.

2014 Toyota Rav4 I bought to haul the dogs around in.... it's cheaper than a full size pick up at 14mpg and driving this little dog hauler will make my pick up last twice as long...

I did some research. Turns out, the original owner hit a deer in North Dakota at a high rate of speed and poped all the air bags.... insurance company totaled it.

yes, some of the gaps in the body panels don't look perfect... Ya, the dome light dosn't work right. When you open the door the door open buzzer dosn't work.... horn won't work.....

Other than that.... the freaking thing is flawless... Paint looks good. no squeeks or rattles...Open the hood and the motor looks just like it is brand new. I love the car. Got it cheap enough to pay cash for it... It dose just what I need done, haul the dogs, save gas and extend the life of my full size pick up. I will drive it until it is junk... and by the way things are going, that will be a long time from now.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mikieb
I got one.... salvage tile is what it is called up here.

2014 Toyota Rav4 I bought to haul the dogs around in.... it's cheaper than a full size pick up at 14mpg and driving this little dog hauler will make my pick up last twice as long...

I did some research. Turns out, the original owner hit a deer in North Dakota at a high rate of speed and poped all the air bags.... insurance company totaled it.

yes, some of the gaps in the body panels don't look perfect... Ya, the dome light dosn't work right. When you open the door the door open buzzer dosn't work.... horn won't work.....

Other than that.... the freaking thing is flawless... Paint looks good. no squeeks or rattles...Open the hood and the motor looks just like it is brand new. I love the car. Got it cheap enough to pay cash for it... It dose just what I need done, haul the dogs, save gas and extend the life of my full size pick up. I will drive it until it is junk... and by the way things are going, that will be a long time from now.

Running full coverage or no?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bought a Toyota Highlander a year or so ago. Someone had apparently mildly crunched the left front, almost a sideswipe against something like a concrete hightway divider. Screwed up the wheels on that side as well. New front end, four new wheels, and good to go. Love it. Saved about $5K.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We (my family) and I have had several “R” titled cars over the years. Back in the 70s and 80s the state required it and any vehicle with frame damage or rust repair.
Had couple that were totaled by insurance companies for accident damage and repaired as well.
Can’t recall any of them giving problems related to the original damage.
I wouldn’t buy one planning on resale, but for a personal vehicle for work and around town transportation, it wouldn’t bother me at all.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Recently bought a extreme low mileage 2013 wrecked truck from a friend, cosmetic damage, insurance totaled it, said it would cost more to fix it than it's worth. After it's fixed it must pass a standard state safety inspection and a VA DMV inspection before the state will issue a salvage title. Unscrupulous shops used to weld two wrecks together and sell, now a salvage title gives you a heads up. Having dealt with a couple flood damage vehicles, I would pass.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It will never be worth what one with a clean title will be. If done right and you now what your looking at it could be a very nice ride. Otherwise a POS that you will get nothing for.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Haven’t bought anything but new vehicles since 1976. It cheaper in the long run in my opinion. I keep my old one, drive it, save miles on the new one. My 2018 Dodge has 16,000 miles on it, use the 2004 to go to work in. I have my 89 jeep also for a back up if need be. I drove jeep to work for years to save miles on the 2004 Dodge. Wifey has her own vehicle.

Last edited by hanco; 03/28/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

In my recent search(s) for a new ride....

If the title stated 'Salvage-Rebuilt' I keep looking

What I always want is 'Clean' meaning no lien holder info listed even if 'released'

But that's me...bring a vehicle in from another state with questionable issues

Nuthing but a head ache

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,468
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.