Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Waders
If you were to pick a revolver for your full-time EDC, with the expectation that one day you might be the target of an attack directed specifically at you (not just some random mugger or crazy guy), what would you carry? I ask, because my home state is extreme enough to try to ban all semi-autos. I'm not saying such a ban would survive judicial scrutiny, but in case I have to pack a revolver for a year or so while the appeal process works, I want to own/practice with my gun in advance rather than join the rush of people all shopping at once.

PLEASE - Let's NOT discuss politics or delve into a constitutional debate. Just talk revolvers you'd carry as an EDC if that were your only choice. Thanks!

And if you care, currently my default choice, based on what I already own would be a pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 2.5" in an OWB holster with a speed strip in each front pocket of my suit pants. I'm thinking I might want a 4" gun for the longer sight radius (my near vision is not great), but I'm not sure.
Didn't read the thread yet, just your question. Hard to not talk politics because the question you're asking has a political or at least, legal basis.

For one thing, you can ignore the law. It's unlikely you'll need a gun anyway and if you do, you face the immediate threat with even the threat of jail for some bs charge, fading into the background if you actually have to deploy your weapon.

That said, I don't think a revolver is much of a handicap. What I'd carry would depend on the level of concealment I wanted. Where I live, Constitutional Carry rules so you don't have to worry about printing and stuff like that as far as scaring the snowflakes and getting charged with something for it. Concealment is exactly that, concealing it from the bad guys so they don't know you have a gun. It is different.

Of the guns I currently have, I'd carry my wife's Colt Magnum Carry (a Detective Special chambered for .357 Mag.). If not limited to my current arsenal, I'd get a S&W Chief's Special. I would load either of them with the FBI/Treasury load of .38 Spec. I would carry a speedloader or two for reloads. If not worried about medium concealment, I'd simply carry my Governor loaded alternately with .410 anti-personnnel loads and 45 Colt's.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a couple DA 357s that would still work well.

A later model Security Six, with the heavier barrel. I think Bill Jordan was involved with Ruger in some of the finer points of this revolver,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For a lightweight option, the Ruger LCRx,

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
S&W Model 66-1 with 2 1/2" barrel.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by EdM
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Ed;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you and your fine family are well on this last Sunday of March.

Thanks for the photo of that interesting revolver, I've got to say I didn't know that configuration even existed! cool

Very cool piece there sir, thanks for sharing it.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Apart from the adjustable sights, similar to my Ruger Speed Six (my first handgun, purchased new in 1980).

[Linked Image]

Hawkeye;
Good afternoon - in your part of the world I see - I hope the day's being a good one for you.

Thanks for the reply and photo of your old Speed Six, it's a fine looking piece of ordnance for sure.

While I was aware they made a shorter Speed Six, somehow I didn't know about the Security Six or if I did that bit of information had vanished from the memory banks.

This one is a similar vintage to yours I believe. I bought it in Oroville, WA in '84 I believe it was, along with the Bianchi holster. Since it's mine, it's been much modified since then.

[Linked Image]

Shooting 158gr SWC wheel weight bullets I was able to hit stuff fairly far away range plinking with it, but again we're not trusted with carrying them up here so it's an academic discussion for me. wink

Thanks again and stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I was expecting trouble and had to carry only a pistol, I'd carry a Judge, Public Defender or Governor loaded with self-defense rounds. Otherwise for everyday carry a S&W Air weight.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
F u c k it. After reading the first three pages of the thread I'm convinced that only the Raging Judge in 454 will do.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
BC30cal, are you permitted to carry a handgun while hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, or camping? In Florida, you don't even need a license to do that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must have read too much Elmer Keith, but my choice would be either a 5 shot 44 Special or one of the 44 Mag mountain guns loaded with Specials. Recovery time would be much quicker in case more than one shot is needed. Before the panic, Georgia Arms made some 200gr Speer Gold Dot loads @825fps from 2 1/2" barrel & WW has 200gr Silvertips @725fps.

Dont forget that 357s without hearing protection are on the edge of madness. WHAT DID HE SAY?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I wear a revolver by choice. First generation Charter Bulldog .44 Special, bull barrel. Loaded and in the pancake holster, it's less then 1.5 pounds. One speed loader and a speed strip for reloads. Summer load is 210 gr Silvertips, winter load is 240 gr SWC.

+1 44 special. Mine is Taurus 445 TI in 44 special, 225swcgc hard cast at ~850 fps. Handy revolver, I like the ribber grips too. The ported 2" bbl don't make sense though.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BC30cal, are you permitted to carry a handgun while hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, or camping? In Florida, you don't even need a license to do that.

Hawkeye;
Good afternoon again.

No we're not permitted to use handguns anywhere other than at an approved range. They're required to be unloaded, trigger or cable locked and in a locked container when transported to and from the range.

There are or better said were a few wilderness guides who applied for and received carry permits when guiding, but they were hit and miss to obtain at best.

It's yet another vexing issue stemming from having rules made by people who have no concept of what it's like in the wilderness or even in rural areas for that matter. Worse still, they've no inclination to learn.

Anyways, that's what we deal with up here and no, it's not palatable or equitable.

All the best regardless.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Partial to K frames for carry in 2.5 or 3 inch

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I usually carry my Commander in 45 acp. Sometimes I carry my Cimarron SA birdshead 45 Colt with 3" barrel in an owb concealment holster

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAS
Smith Model 638.

I carry that right now. I like the option of shorting single action for accuracy and double action for follow ups.

If I get a bead using single action, I am going to hit the target where I want. Practiced it for many years.
I always cock the hammer when I draw, it's a habit. The first shot counts the most.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lcrx 3”

The 38 is quite light. It’d be uber if they did a 3” 327 mag with a 7 round cylinder.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My Colt Python or whatever Sagebrush Mckay suggests.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I noted several references including from the original poster regarding “real” sights and what seems a dismissive attitude towards fixed sights.

A good fixed sight revolver is very smooth and Very functional as a defensive weapon. Very good work can be done with fixed sights in this role and are not really lacking on the target range when paired with a load that shoots to those sights.
Adjustable sights are more fragile (some) and more prone to sharp edges and snagging.

Try them before you dismiss them. I have won more than one shoot off using a fixed sight Smith even when going against full on competition pistols.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 45_100
Originally Posted by 45_100
My EDC is a Cimarron Lightning in 38 special with 3 1/2" barrel. Not ideal I know because it is single action. But it is a smaller frame than the full size Colt or Ruger. The main reason I carry it is because I have to deal deal with injured livestock from time to time. I think it is adequate to deal with deranged people if necessary. I carry it in a modified Galco SAO holster which can be carried strong side or cross draw. My second choice is just what you described. With a fixed blade knife, chaps, a rope and handgun it starts to add up.

The original Colt Lightning was double action. Why is yours only single action?

You are correct. From what I understand the Colt Lightning was somewhat fragile and tended to break. Hard to find one in good working condition and they are highly prized if found. Cimarron has used this as a marketing gimmick and advertises the single action Lightning as " the gun Colt should have made". This gun has the firing pin in the frame but I don't think it has a hammer block so I carry five rounds. They also make the Thunderer which is a full size SA revolver with the Colt style firing pin on the hammer. I think it is all about marketing.
Good question and very observent.
I've owned at least two original Colt Lightnings. They are indeed very prone to breakage. The new ones are based on completely different guns. The Thunderer is a Colt SAA clone with a birdshead grip whereas the old Thunderer was simply the old Lightening in 41 Colt instead of 38 Colt, a much smaller gun and double action as opposed to single action, as you cite. The new Lightening type guns are "Scout" size SAA's like a Colt Frontier Scout .22 and much smaller than the SAA based new Thunderer. They are still just single actions and not a double action mechanism, but are much more petite than a full SAA. Evidently Uberti thought they were robust enough for 38 Spec.'s but I doubt they should be shot with anything approaching a +P load in that caliber. I was thinking that at one time, they were available in 32 H&R Mag. also and of course, they're available in 22 RF.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for a K frame. This is a 4" 66 in a Milt Sparks crossdraw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A charter bulldog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for a 4" smith. My wife's 686 is smooth.

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,385
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.