Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some people can't smoke pot because of there job. It is still illegal on the federal level.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
10mg oxy, 325 acetominophen.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Took it after spinal fusion, after an infection in two vertebrae and a disc, and after knee replacement. If you wait too long and pain gets ahead it is tough to catch up. No problems getting off of it. Just weaned down to one in a.m., one in p.m. and then to one in p.m. then none. One or two nights of insomnia then fine.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
Pharmacist here -
Start with 1/2 tablet
Stretch the interval
The pain will not go away, just the edge taken off.
Consume fiber.
Taper off ASAP.

You may be a pharmacist. You’re sure as hell not a doctor. Stick to filling scripts not filling a patient with serious fuggin pain that kind of BS. Take the “edge off”. Really. You’re an idiot and don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about when it comes to pain management. Think I’ll stop wasting my time on it about now.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RAS
Avoid all opiates.

I don’t drink at all or use weed, but I would do both of those before using opiates.

Many normal, productive people have had their lives destroyed by opiates. I know booze and drugs are bad, but opiates can do much greater damage.

Just not true. Couldn’t care less if you use alcohol or not or choose to twist a a left hander now and then. But the two don’t belong even in the same sentence as far as effect on lives. Even if you choose to not call ETO a drug It IS a drug. A major, major drug. And the government making money off selling scotch but demonizing people who use marijuana is just another example of why the Bill of Rights was written. The government cannot be trusted or trusted to use logic. And not allowing THC to be used at the very least for medicinal trials and prescription drug application, while allowing synthetic opiods is as stupid as one would expect our government to be. And to sit there and say opioids can do more social damage than liquor is just ignorant.

So just “avoid all opiates”. Dear sweet Jesus come quickly. I truly hope you never need them. Hope you never lay squeezing the mattress till both hands are numb praying for relief because nothing that can be given works. There are times when this website is a truly wonderful study of why dogs bark even when there’s nothing to bark at.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had no idea how many of my 24HCF people were in such bad pain. I feel terrible for you all that are and some orthopedic doctors can be pretty indifferent or even heartless to the issue. I've only felt like I had to use an opioid (oxycodone) once in my life and then only 5 or 6 pills but I had to use 2 beers to supplement them each time to get relief. It's a wonder it didn't kill me since I had never used them before. As I posted earlier I have been close to 2 individuals that I found out were hopeless addicts, both for decades. One died as a pitiful case and the other is still alive as a pitiful case. I am scared to death of the stuff and am pretty sure it is way more than in your head when you're hooked. I was given a shot of Demerol in the ER over 40 years ago and I saw beautiful visions. The 20 minute ride home seemed 2 hours and felt as if we were floating above the ground. I promise I could have become a hopeless addict to that stuff in 2 or 3 days

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by battue
Always interesting to read the campfire Doogie Howser, MD outtakes.....

laffin....It’s just wrong to hide brilliance, keep it to yourself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can almost guarantee his post was directed at acute transient pain and not severe chronic pain..Which most times requires two different medication plans. One short term and the other long. His emphasis being on avoiding the possibility of developing dependence with regard the first.

Either way, his comment on tapering applies to both situations when it comes to trying to minimize withdrawal events.

And you should perhaps reevaluate your sig line...

Last edited by battue; 03/28/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by battue
I can almost guarantee his post was directed at acute transient pain and not severe chronic pain..Which most times requires two different medication plans. One short term and the other long. His emphasis being on avoiding the possibility of developing dependence with regard the first.

Either way, his comment on tapering applies to both situations when it comes to trying to minimize withdrawal events.

And you should perhaps reevaluate your sig line...

Couple of things. One, that last post was so messed up I won’t even try to fix it or explain. Between auto complete and apparently not thinking or speaking English very well that’s just a mess. I’ll only say, believe it or not I was actually trying to agree with you. Secondly, my argument about starting with 1/2 tablet. I don’t know what dosage that was but I’ll hold with it being best for the doctor not the pharmacist to determine the beginning medication dose based on a lot more clinical data, patient interaction, and clinical training than the pharmacist is likely to have; whether acute transient OR chronic pain. Either way, get the pain under control as I expect was the doctor’s intent. Don’t try to nickel/dime it away. However my response was unnecessarily bawdy and I apologize for not having given it a little more thought. Based on considerable experience with a number of pain types and severities and physicians whose abilities ran from few to amazing, trying to “take the edge off” is very similar in concept and result of “trying to not loose” a sporting event. It’s a very good way to bring about the undesired effect. I have received some very good advice from pharmacists, especially on drug interactions, that were not overlooked but certainly appeared to have been. But in my patient based experience I certainly disagree in this case with re-evaluating the physician’s instruction and re-instructing the patient without the attending physician’s advice and consent.

My sig line. Re-evaluation has been suggested before. However it is not meant to advertise perfection for that I’ll never have. It’s a reminder. For me. Every time I am overly critical, vulgar in speech, lacking in doing God’s will, forgetful that words last forever, in need of correcting the way in which I represent my Creator and my Savior, neglectful of placing Him first, then there those words are. They’ve kept me from tapping “Post Reply” a great number of times. Unfortunately on a goodly number of occasions I’ve posted anyway then had to return to the scene of the crime and ask forgiveness. If you have determined within yourself to be unsatisfied with that conduct you never will be. And I will not be satisfied with that conduct. I do prefer to ask forgiveness, move on, try harder. Thanks for the reminder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will not bore you with the personal details, and particularly because the instances of such severe and lasting pain can vary greatly according to many factors. For those who rarely or never have used substances that alter your feelings, and even though the pain factor can be so intense that the patient will not likely be able to fight back to health without such relief, the prospect of heavy and lengthy oxycodone dosage can be very troubling. For very good reasons.

When prescribed and ingesting such heavy and prolonged dosages, one major thing on your mind may be the potential for nasty addiction. This is justifiable and sensible. If you are dedicated to getting off the stuff, determination and maybe some good helpers can enable you to succeed. Making the down taper too steep/too soon can interrupt the progress - and hurt - so thank goodness my smart kids and wife helped me fix that blip. The victory of reaching and staying at zero can feel almost as good as recovery from what caused the sever pain. Wishing you every good outcome.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years back, I was using a pain clinic for back pain. This included shots in the back and Hydrocodone pills. One visit they put me on Oxycodone for a couple of months. It did not work as well as the Hydrocodone for me. Any way down the road a couple of years and I got pissed at the pain management clinic for not keeping the appointments straight and me driving a long way, sometimes with a driver, and them telling me that I had no appointment that day, even thought I had the card they filled out. I told them to stick it, and I would not be back. I had a few pills that had accumulated due to not taking one before a shot in the back, and I used them to taper off. Come to find out they had lost most of their effectiveness for me. The shots were always very temporary relief. Had no trouble quitting them, and have not had one for three years. Back still hurts, but little more than when I was going to the pain clinic. It is getting worse though. I had one operation and may have to look at another. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One of the most common elements of a pain order would be the inclusion of the term “prn”. Which translates into “as needed”. I.E. tid prn. Which in this case would be three times a day as needed.

Once a certain level of pain control is established with a conscious and aware patient, the dosing instruction will almost universally change to “as needed.” And with that, the aware patient is given a certain level of control over how much or often they will take additional dosing. Also, individuals vary in their pain thresholds or individual response to a given dose or milligrams of dose. Something the physician will not always be initially aware of when first starting a pain program. And certain medications can be divided into smaller amounts. Liquids obviously. Tablets or capsules sometimes, based on the individual formulation.

These same instructions are most often given to the aware patient by the physician. Although more often than not, the patient only hears what they want to hear. Or the personal stressors of being ill, overrides their ability to comprehend instructions. One of the reasons physicians and hospitals have become more aware of the need for follow up communication with their patients and customers.

Last edited by battue; 03/29/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (29aholic, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 25 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.