Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All the dancing on the head of a pin (Smith vs. Ruger vs. Colt vs. Taurus, .357 vs. .38 vs. .44 etc...) makes for lots of pages of back and forth and gives people the chance to show off pictures of their carry revolvers and rigs, but what it really boils down to is this:

Carry the largest caliber and barrel configuration you can conceal under the clothes you're wearing and you can handle the recoil well enough to draw and fire five rounds into a torso-sized target at 10' in 5 seconds.

For some, that may be a 3" SP101 in .327 Federal. For others, it might be a 6" Model 29 in .44 magnum, but I doubt it.

Every person has a different skill level and a different requirement for concealment. Concealment challenges will vary due to different outside temperatures. What works in January may not be good for July.

I personally prefer a lightweight Smith J-Frame in my right front pants pocket, loaded with subsonic 145 grain wadcutters. It's good for year round concealment, won't rupture your eardrums, and I can empty it accurately enough in about three seconds if need be.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by viking
I had the opportunity to shoot that Rhino revolver in 6 inch. Nice. Recoil is minimized.

Regurgitation is maximized however. That surpasses the High Point for ugly. I have a stainless S&W mountain gun in .41 magnum that I'd carry if I couldn't carry my Springfield EMP.

.45 Colt Mountain Guns would be my next choice after what I posted above. After them, a .45 acp S&W 625-2 Model of 1988 that shoots incredibly well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by goalie
3" SP101 in 357mag

This. Often carry mine while working here around the property. 2 rounds of CCI snake shot and 3 140gr Barnes XPB.
If I gotta run somewhere its reloaded from a speedloader with 38+p 130 HST in warmer seasons and in Winter coat season its 2 357 Speer Golddots then 3 hard cast flat nose.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Carry the largest caliber and barrel configuration you can conceal under the clothes you're wearing and you can handle the recoil well enough to draw and fire five rounds into a torso-sized target at 10' in 5 seconds.

Not much of a standard. The OP could do that with the S&W Model 500, but I doubt he's lookin to EDC three and a half pounds of steel plus 2 reloads.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
S&W 340... it's light so I carry it. Heck if they made something lighter in .38 I'd buy one.

Actually was interested in the Taurus View when it was released but it only lasted a year. I think the idea was sound for an EDC revolver...other than the gimicky plastic piece.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 03/28/21.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Smith 360 air weight 357 magnum. Super lite and use can use 357 mag or 38 in it. I got one with a 3 inch barrel.

That would be hard to beat. Or one of the S&W Model 60’s with the 3” barrel in 357 mag with adjustable sights.

My second and third choices would be a S&W Model 66 with the 3” barrel or a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 with the 3” bbl.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
S&W 432PD 6 shot or Charter Arms Pro, 32 H&R, 7 shot.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A small .38, of course.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
S&W 38 special 3"

Or

Taurus model 85 in 38 special, 3"

If your guns are heavy, you are not apt to carry it. If you carry an ultra light in 357 practice at 10 yards a LOT!

Carry a reload and practice reloading.

Most people shooting 2" smiths can not hit a bull in the azz with a base fiddle

and the 357 mag version are pretty much noise makers, very, very difficult to shoot

IDPA has matches where wheel guns are used...dang...one match and you learn just how useless some of these guns are.

Remeber, two hits on target with a lesser caliber are better than six sprayed all over with an ultra light magnum. 12 lb triggers make for great noise makers...that is about it.

Chances are if you ever need the pistol, you are going to be scared schittless!! You will not remember to watch the front sight, and you will be pulling the trigger so fast in the direction of the perp, you may not hit anything. TRAIN for success!

Few if any posting here have ever been robbed or beat up during a robbery.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would pick this one,38 spcl. 6 shot, 17oz. night sights

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3rd Gen. Colt SAA.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of choices here, some I wouldn’t carry. They would be, for me, to large for concealment. But fine woods or ranch revolvers.
For me, there is only one choice. The revolver I have been using since 1974, S&W M66 4” with any holster that works for you. Along with speed loaders or speed strips.
This revolver and it brother, the model 19 have been getting it done for decades.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
3rd Gen. Colt SAA.

I’ve actually carried mine in 45 LC a time or two as my CCW. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RGK

This works if you have to keep a low profile. I still carry this daily in retirement. Preferable (to me) to a semi, but I'm not expecting a reinforced Haji rifle squad.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Curious about the taped grip. Throw down like The Godfather bathroom stashed piece? wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by irfubar
I would pick this one,38 spcl. 6 shot, 17oz. night sights

Looks good, but I’ve never owned a Taurus Revolver that I thought reliable enough to bet my life on. Every one I’ve ever owned would hang up every so often when cocking the hammer or pulling the trigger in double action mode.

Their small automatics I’ve owned, have however been very reliable.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3” Smith 66 is the sweet spot for me, but any of the 2.5, 3 or 4” K frames would serve well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I regularly pack my S&W 396 Mountain Lite titanium .44 spcl about everywhere.

I traded a S&W 629 for this gun here at the fire almost ten years ago and still feel like I got the better end of that one.
For daily carry 'light is right'....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As we speak I've got a Colt Detective Special on my belt. Truth is I am so enamored with EDC revolvers I could carry a different one everyday for a while. My hands down favorite is a 3" Ruger SP101. I don't like the original grips and I'm big enough to carry mine with better grips. I always have a C/A Bulldog 44 Special close by. I've carried a couple of variations of the Ruger LCR many a day. And I'm old enough to have spent a lot of time with Ruger Six Series whether, Speed Six, Service Six, or Security six all of which are 2-3/4" except for the postal model which is 3".

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker." As tanker jockey said don't discount them till you try them. It's amazing how well they can be shot. Course I also like S&W's including and especially the S&W 66's with the 2-1/2" barrel if you just have to have "real" sights. Plenty to be said about the 3" Ruger GP's of those I prefer the 44 Special as well

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

That brings up, "How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker."

I'm still sorting that one out.

I like the larger grip of the 66. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a 3" or 4" 66. If not, then just schlepping the 2.5" 66.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.