Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
Wow! A hell of a thought on safeties.

Rare a rifle shot ever happens as fast as a shotgun shot. Yet we manage.

Depending on how one hunts, it is not all that rare or different than shooting a shotgun. When things are happening quick, taking the safety off is part of the mount, same as with a shotgun...But many think it is a separate event.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, because I don't know squat about why there are so few aftermarket parts for Winchester 70s, nor Winchester or Remington's manufacturing woes, let alone those from the 60's.

I do however, like posting pictures of my great grandfather's Model 70 in .270 Win from 1937. I don't shoot it much anymore, but probably should. I believe this pic was taken the last time I pulled the trigger on it, in 2016, maybe earlier.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Having used the M-70 in Kansas deer hunting, for 15 years I seriously doubt I have ever chambered a cartridge and put the gun on SAFE. I just quietly chamber a round and kill a deer.
It is just better for all if I sneak around with an empty chamber.
99% of the time bird hunting my double barrels are loaded and action open, no big deal to close a double as you shoulder it.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems this thread had badly drifted from the original question. So I thought I'd try to give a direct answer.

"Why so few aftermarket parts for a M-70"

Well designed from the start. Tough to improve on any of the Mauser copied/inspired designs. M-70 arguable the best of that bunch. My opinion.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yeah, I'm pretty aware of the M70's following & some of its attributes. But when the tread immediately started on other brands I just had to play.

But really, production numbers don't lie & with newer generations moving to other things, it should be plain why not as many goodies are offered for the 70. Maybe they don't need retrofits or upgrades as said. And, aren't a lot of the fans a big part of the blue steel & walnut club? If so, a big percentage of the owners wouldn't want synthetic stocks if there were 20 options. With that said, how many companies will jump in and spend time making them.

If I were a M70 fan, I'd likely have to flip a coin if I wanted French or Turkish walnut for the stock. Skeleton but plate & grip cap of course. JMHO.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If I were a M70 fan, I'd likely have to flip a coin if I wanted French or Turkish walnut for the stock. Skeleton but plate & grip cap of course. JMHO.

I'm with you!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had two M70's and didn't much care for the metallurgy. I sold both and switched to older M700 Remingtons. Never had any problems with them and they've always worked great, plus more accurate than those two Winchesters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LoL Mdl 70's are practical shooters ...good enough.

But no amount of customizing will ever make one better than that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect part of the deal is that pre-64 and post-64 stuff won't interchange, including stocks.

Meanwhile, Remington 700 stuff will generally work on 721/722 rifles, though it it may take a little adjusting. Have used 700 aftermarket stocks on 721/722 rifles, along with magazines, floorplates, etc. They've been basically the same for almost 75 years now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect part of the deal is that pre-64 and post-64 stuff won't interchange, including stocks.

I just tried to swap a post 64 M70 bolt with a Rem700 bolt and they don't swap. They look alike, but...

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, because I don't know squat about why there are so few aftermarket parts for Winchester 70s, nor Winchester or Remington's manufacturing woes, let alone those from the 60's.

I do however, like posting pictures of my great grandfather's Model 70 in .270 Win from 1937. I don't shoot it much anymore, but probably should. I believe this pic was taken the last time I pulled the trigger on it, in 2016, maybe earlier.

Great picture!

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell

You're right, no need to customize. plus I don't have to float a loan buying parts to "improve" it...
UNALTERED Model 70 Classic Stainless 7 Mag:

UNALTERED Model70 Safari Express

UNALTERED P-64 FWY 308:
https://i.imgur.com/qlw1Yzs.jpg

Note two different bullets.

If that's "practical" then I'm good with it.. BTW, I have lots more, but I have a feeling I'm talking to a bulkhead...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I've had two M70's and didn't much care for the metallurgy. I sold both and switched to older M700 Remingtons. Never had any problems with them and they've always worked great, plus more accurate than those two Winchesters.

I'm curious how one discerns the metallurgy of a rifle and how you actually determine your preference.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell

David Tubbs used a M70 for a number of years and dominated his competitors

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In the arena where the Model 70 was successful, more successful, by the way, than the 700, the accuracy requirements, while impressive enough, are not that great. A 1/2 moa rifle was certainly adequate. A model 70, well set-up, has shown itself to be capable of this and very consistently so. In a way, hi power rifle competition is an anachronistic pursuit and the model 70, a bit of an anachronism itself, seems to be especially suited to it. I think the Model 70 is even better in this role than it is as a hunting rifle. I have two model 70 target rifles, one a 308 and one a 30/06. On a good day, I can shoot either one into 1 moa; prone, with a sling. The 30/06, especially, is a rifle which functions perfectly and, if it doesn't shoot to BR levels, it still shoots well enough to be an interesting rifle. The 308 shoots better but is a little short on panache.
The point is, the Model 70, with it's long history, in the field and on the target range, may no longer be totally relevant but it is still a fine rifle in many respects. The lack of current relevance is why you no longer see the aftermarket support for the Model 70 Winchester. GD

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
David Tubbs used a M70 for a number of years and dominated his competitors

Back in the heyday of competitive shooting you could find factory offerings from Winchester (Model 70 Target in many variations) and Remington (40X, XB and XC). My obervation is that the M70 was much preferred over the M700 or 40x in Highpower Rifle competition. I believe a good portion of that was the ease of cycling an M70 compared to the Remingtons. This matters for the rapid fire stage of the course at 200 and 300 yards. All the big names in Highpower Rifle, off the top of my head; Mid Tompkins, Gary Anderson, Carl Bernosky and David Tubb (Tubb no "s") shot M70's...that is until the Tubb2000 and the AR Match Rifles took over.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Didn't read all of this but that never stops anyone on the fire.

The trigger is one of the best hunting triggers available and is easily adjustable, hence no need for an aftermarket trigger until you go below an ounce or two.
The safety is one of the best for sporting rifles, no need to replace.
Bolt is one piece, no need to replace it.
Extractor is about as good as it gets being almost a pure Mauser style but beveled to load dropped in cartridges (usually).
Barrrels are not bad and deliver hunting grade accuracy on a regular basis.
Stocks generally have good ergonomics and are available in lighter weight models if desired.

There is more but basically not a lot is needed on an M70. Also most that are modified go through the full custom treatment whereas the M700 are more likely to be bubba upgrades. As the price goes up on custom rifles the number of M700 will get fewer and fewer until at the very upper echelons it will be almost all Mauser's and M70s.

The M70 was at one time used as I believe the Marine issued sniper rifle but due to cost Remington took over this market, I don't think it had anything to do with functioning.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The M70 was at one time used as I believe the Marine issued sniper rifle but due to cost Remington took over this market, I don't think it had anything to do with functioning.

...close. During early years of the Vietnam war, the USMC without a ready to run solution in hand was grabbing whatever suitable rifles they could and a good portion of the M70 Target Rifles from the Rifle Team were deployed with Unertls. Rumor has it that they were grabbing hunting rifles from Base Exchanges as well too. Later in the war, the Corps worked with Remington to field a purpose built sniper rifle which became the M40.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DBoston
Didn't read all of this but that never stops anyone on the fire.

The trigger is one of the best hunting triggers available and is easily adjustable, hence no need for an aftermarket trigger until you go below an ounce or two.
The safety is one of the best for sporting rifles, no need to replace.
Bolt is one piece, no need to replace it.
Extractor is about as good as it gets being almost a pure Mauser style but beveled to load dropped in cartridges (usually).
Barrrels are not bad and deliver hunting grade accuracy on a regular basis.
Stocks generally have good ergonomics and are available in lighter weight models if desired.

There is more but basically not a lot is needed on an M70. Also most that are modified go through the full custom treatment whereas the M700 are more likely to be bubba upgrades. As the price goes up on custom rifles the number of M700 will get fewer and fewer until at the very upper echelons it will be almost all Mauser's and M70s.

The model 70 never had a match grade trigger and if you compare worked over triggers for comp guns the 700's blows it away.
The rest of the points you raise on the model 70 pertain only to the pre 64 guns which havent been around for 57 years. The NH classics had mostly crappy extractors, crappy cast triggers and mediocre at best barrels. The bolt were also two piece and grazed together. They have had failures. The FN guns are better across the board.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RE the model 70 not being used in modern competitive shooting. This is because the recieve of the model 70 is much more difficult to true up vs. the round receiver of a Remington or clone. If money was no object I believe you could make a model 70 shoot just as well. It just takes time and money.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 49 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.