Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
If this was already asked I don’t care just repeat yourself because we all know we like to hear ourselves talk

What weapon light do you have now on your AR ?

Pros and cons of less /more lumens

Thanks!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Bob,
This is my goto setup for carbine size AR's:

Streamlight 88066 ProTac Rail Mount HL-X Fixed Mount Ten Tap, 1,000 Lumens, Black & Magpul M-LOK Offset Light/Optic Picatinny Rail Mount Aluminum

ProTac 1000 Lum kit

Not saying it's the best, but it works and I've had nothing but good luck with Streamlight.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/27/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My choice was a Cloud Defensive OWL. it's an amazing light.
Son put a Surefire Scout on his. Inside it's plenty, he's disappointed outside next to the OWL.

https://www.clouddefensive.com/optimized-weapon-light/

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The thought of putting a light on a gun baffles me totally. An infrared sight I get, but making a target out of one’s self is just strange.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a time and place for most everything.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The thought of putting a light on a gun baffles me totally. An infrared sight I get, but making a target out of one’s self is just strange.

And shooting guys out of a helo didn’t make you a target?

You know these are intermittently activated and they don’t come with flashing neon warning signs or a backup beeper right?

As with everything else, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Last edited by TWR; 03/28/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ordered a Streamlight ProTac rail per recommendations here. Due anytime.

Like anything else, can't imagine "one size fits all" approach works here either.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TWR

And shooting guys out of a helo didn’t make you a target?

You know these are intermittently activated and they don’t come with flashing neon warning signs or a backup beeper right?

As with everything else, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things.

My primary job description was "Bait". I had backup and a lot of armor plate rated to stop .30 cal AP rounds. Shooting dinks was secondary icing on the cake.

I've used IR/Night Vision equipment here in America and it was quite good. 'yotes died. Night combat victors rely on stealth and surprise more than big balls. And shotguns. Keep in mind those slinkin' up on you might have IR/NV.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I realize this is the tactical forum but I think most of us use our AR’s and lights for coyotes and other critters. I learned the value of a “weapon mounted light” in West Texas when a dead coyote jumped up and ran out of the spotlight.

But for home defense or even on my late night or early morning runs, I have a light and a gun. Putting both to use in training and practice is important.

Is that a gun in his hand or a cell phone? We die by the hands so seeing them is very important. Sometimes a light is the only way to justify pulling the trigger. In a home invasion I doubt anyone would need one but you might. Better to have one available and to have learned how and when to use one than to be wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fenix PD35/Wyoming mount at 12:00, surefire G2x tactical at 10:30ish.

Looking at a modlite or arisaka for another rifle. haven’t decided which one yet, for more candela/throw.

I really like the 12:00 mount with the Fenix, but it doesn’t seem possible to do 12:00 with the bigger diameter lights.

Sean
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Comparison video of OWL and the Surefire.

Samuel Colt.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Like anything else, can't imagine "one size fits all" approach works here either.

Mine should be here today! A buddy and I were looking at ‘em online recently. He bought one and texted me this weekend saying he felt like it was more than worth the price. Based on that, I ordered one myself.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Having one would be a good idea-- bad things happen at night

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Hope you enjoy it. Depending on the rail I mount mine in the 1-3 o'clock position with the tape switch at 12 o'clock.
Those Cloud Defense light look really nice, but $400 is a good chunk of change for a light.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another OWL user here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
If you’re handguard is MLOK take a look at the 45 degree offset mount Midwest industries has for the pro tac, gets the light sucked in nice and tight to the handguard.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Hope you enjoy it. Depending on the rail I mount mine in the 1-3 o'clock position with the tape switch at 12 o'clock.
Those Cloud Defense light look really nice, but $400 is a good chunk of change for a light.

It's going on the 11.5" with Eotech jobber. Dug out a predator hunting light since previous discussions and SEE what guys said about being able to utilize irons, with the light on... The glowy front sight post will be installed in fixed offset buis, on this or another.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Streamlight TLR1HL on a Midnight Mossie mount that attaches to the A2 sight. Very slick and plenty of useable light for its role of home defense.

I have a cheap Surefire G2 in a VTAC mount mounted on the top rail. It’s got an LED head on it and is better than nothing.

And I have a Streamlight ProTac rail mount on a 45* offset mount from Impact Weapon Components. A very nice light and a very nice setup.

Last edited by TWR; 03/30/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

those hogs don't shoot back Dan. With the light, I can see 'em really good at 2 am down in the swamp.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my AR I have a Streamlight PROTAC® RAIL MOUNT 2 LONG GUN LIGHT, mounted on a IWC Thorntail SBR Offset Adaptive Light Mount, and the tape switch mounted in a Cloud Defensive Systems LCS mounting plate.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-2

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/thorntail-sbr-offset-adaptive-light-mount-scout/

https://www.clouddefensive.com/product/lcs-streamlight/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.