Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Explain the reasoning to me please,,, If your going to add some Municipal tax free Bond funds to your portfolio,

You would add these to your IRA account or standard non-IRA account ?

Where/when would the tax savings be in the IRA account?

And why Municipal Bonds over taxable Bonds?....(other than the obvious).

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
High yields?

Check out the ratings assigned.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
High income people buy them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Put them in your taxable account. If you are in a higher tax bracket and have State income tax as well, the return can beat taxable bonds in some cases.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some states do apply income tax on municipal bonds if the bonds are from other states. My states does this.

Last edited by Mike70560; 03/31/21.
IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Some states do apply income tax on municipal bonds.

Yes, lets say I buy a tax free bond fund, but is Residency in my state a factor?

I believe it can be.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
In general, avoid municipal bonds. For the most part, they are a very high risk investment.

There was a time that retirees put their money there because it was safe and dependable. Not so much anymore.

Be not weary in well doing.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
In general, avoid municipal bonds. For the most part, they are a very high risk investment.

There was a time that retirees put their money there because it was safe and dependable. Not so much anymore.

Understood, but Fidelity has multiple Municipal Bond funds rated with less risk than , for example, Large Growth Stocks,

Not that I fully understand the topic on hand here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The idea of a pooled fund is to average out risk, and that's a good idea.... until something like Covid happens, that affects all the cities in the pool.

You're doing your homework. Just keep at it, and you'll know the right thing to do.

I'm looking at a corporate bond fund that tracks the market. The good thing about that is, if we get a spurt of inflation, the yield on new bonds will go up. The bad news is that if you buy a bond that pays 4%, and the market rate goes to 8%, your $1000 bond is only worth about $500 (assuming maturity in the far distant future).

Once upon a time, I had a retirement account to invest. I figured interest rates were going to head down, and I bought AA and AAA corporate bonds with maturity dates not too far out. Sure enough, rates went down and my bonds appreciated. So I did alright. My lucky day.

From where we are, rates can only go up.

When people get worried, they buy gold and they buy guns. You can get a sense of our situation by looking at the price of those items.

Last edited by denton; 03/31/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Understood, but Fidelity has multiple Municipal Bond funds rated with less risk than , for example, Large Growth Stocks,

Fidelity has some bond funds that aren't taxable, as I understand it.

The bond market is in the toilet though.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

If interest rates rise that toilet will get flushed.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Why would you invest in muni bonds within a tax sheltered account?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

The Feds can't raise interest rates, Zero or near zero rates are the only thing that supports 20 trill in debt.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
tax free muni's should only be in a taxable account, not ira/401k's. i keep a chunk in vanguard's pa tax exempt muni fund. if you want to understand a bit more about them, here is the prospectus of the one i use. it explains things pretty well. one of the biggies like vanguard or fidelity might have a similar one for your state. all in all, i have been quite happy making 5-7% tax free for years in this fund. if i thought that interest rates were going up, i'd rethink it perhaps. but its nice to make money that does not get taxed every stinking year.

https://personal.vanguard.com/funds/reports/q770.pdf?2210160095

My diploma is a DD214
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have 2 tax free Muni Etf's. One is HYD and HYMB. They are too high for me right now so I am not buying. At these prices, you will only get about 3.5% interest. That is not good enough for me, especially how high the MUNI market is right now. I bought 4 yrs ago and about 1 yr. ago. Last yr. was a good time to buy them. You will not get taxed on the divies, but the captital gains are taxable. I am sitting on some cash right now cause there is so little to buy right now. I would love to get even 3.5% now if it was tax free, however, I am quite sure they will be coming down 3.5% in a yr. so there will be no real gains at all. If you have them in an IRA, you wont pay capital gains tax, but capital gains are not very much on a MUNI.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The idea of a pooled fund is to average out risk, and that's a good idea.... until something like Covid happens, that affects all the cities in the pool.

You're doing your homework. Just keep at it, and you'll know the right thing to do.

I'm looking at a corporate bond fund that tracks the market. The good thing about that is, if we get a spurt of inflation, the yield on new bonds will go up. The bad news is that if you buy a bond that pays 4%, and the market rate goes to 8%, your $1000 bond is only worth about $500 (assuming maturity in the far distant future).

Once upon a time, I had a retirement account to invest. I figured interest rates were going to head down, and I bought AA and AAA corporate bonds with maturity dates not too far out. Sure enough, rates went down and my bonds appreciated. So I did alright. My lucky day.

When people get worried, they buy gold and they buy guns. You can get a sense of our situation by looking at the price of those items.

Gold has been pretty flat since last November

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gold has been steady for 5000 years.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

My financial planner says I should by bond funds or balanced funds heavy in bonds right now to limit risk. I keep thinking that with rates as low as they are it makes no sense buying bonds. Like Denton said if rates start to rise bonds will take a hard hit. There's nowhere else for them to go unless they go negative. I have wondered about TIPS as a hedge against inflation. I'm not sure where to put money that's relatively low risk but still has some return.

Bb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

The Feds can't raise interest rates, Zero or near zero rates are the only thing that supports 20 trill in debt.

I wouldn’t bet my assets on that statement.
Any upwards bump will directly affect those bonds.

Might want to look into how many muni bonds went broke due to default of the issuer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Gold has been steady for 5000 years.

Pretty much dead center correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 48 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,158
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.