Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I stumbled around on a youtube video about all the dead bodies on Mt. Everest, something like 281 are up there. Then that lead me to another video about a guy named David Sharp, a solo climber who went up Everest in 2006, made some decision that ultimately led to him falling gravely ill, holing up in a cave next to a dead body known as green shoes, and 30 people passed him, some seeing him , others did not.

A double amputee named Mark Inglis and 3 other New Zealand climbers stopped to check on him on the way up. He was alive, but mostly incoherent and nearly frozen. They faced a decision as to help him, derailing their potentially once in a lifetime ascent to the Summit, and ultimately they made the decision to leave him there, climb to the top and descend back down. On the way back down they stopped again, he was still alive but in much worse shape, and at that point, no one had enough oxygen to do anything for him.

There is more to the story, especially regarding the decisions David Sharp made from choosing his outfitter to climbing alone to the time he chose to ascend.

So the Everest Test is....

If you planned a once in a lifetime trip to climb Everest, spent upwards of $50K for the climb, trained for months and then encounter a dying man on the mountain 1 hour from the summit, do you make the decision to do whatever you can to save him and forego the climb or do you do what you can in the moment to comfort him and then proceed on knowing you are leaving him to his fate, living the rest of your life knowing you left a person to die?

My wife and I immediately had different answers

FWIW, Sir Edmund Hillary condemned their actions.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/02/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Leave him. He is an idiot and so is anyone up there, unless being paid.

Don’t screw with Darwinism.

Last edited by las; 04/02/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do what you need to do to look in the mirror and not hate the guy looking back.

That's different for different people.

Me, if there's a reasonable chance to actually save him, that's what I'm doing.

(reasonable means <50% chance we also die trying)

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Help him is they only thing to do! If not your a worthless human! Just my 2 cents!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I couldn't leave him.

Fugg the summit at that point. We're talking about another human beings LIFE.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I doubt that guys who make the decision to climb think anything at all like I do. It would be presumptuous of me to think otherwise.

I suspect that those who are motivated to do such things do not expect others to give up their own dream of standing on the summit, and may even insist on being left to die.

I'm confident that my own mindset is different because I'm not the type of person who would consider climbing Everest.

WTF would I know about it?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Pretty simple.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Life or death............I'd do everything in my power to help. If it came down to leaving him if it compromised the safety of someone in my party, he's on his own.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Save him is the Christian thing to do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ask him if he voted for Biden!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The climber sounds like a real bozo but I would have to assist him .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easy to have the noble answer when you are not faced with the circumstances of the place. Dozens of climbers are lined up for the final ascent at the green boots cave. To reach the summit may take another 30 minutes or 6 hours. How stable is the weather, do I have oxygen to share without risking my life or my companions? Give comfort? No such thing when you are bundled up beyond looking human and the one in distress is so hypothermic he feels nothing and his mind isn't really functional. Maybe you save him so he can later lose his hands, feet, lips and nose to frost bite and face nerve and circulation pain the rest of his miserable life. Hard decision but I bet those facing it never think about the money they spent to be there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you know the potential situations before you ever embark on this type of journey. If I paid the money and did the waiting list and spent the time to prepare and I am one hour from my lifelong goal I am pushing to the top and I would expect everyone to do that to me if the situation aroze where I was stuck. I knew what the risks were going in and in no way would I expect you to give up your deams if I for some reason was not prepared or fell ill. If I was paying an outfitter/guide it would fall to him to decide to help me or not.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by NH K9
Life or death............I'd do everything in my power to help. If it came down to leaving him if it compromised the safety of someone in my party, he's on his own.

Yup, if you have put yourself in that position you probably have already decided on that scenario or you are low level peak bagger who shouldn't be there. Choosing to play in that unforgiving environment includes acceptance of the fact that Mother Nature does not care about you.

#prioritize

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That seems like a decision that is best made before the situation even arises. Personally I wouldn’t even attempt the climb in the first place. That’s just me, but Those that do might accept that very thing as a possible reality of the effort and accept it for what it is to begin with.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would never go there in the first place. But if I were in that situation, I would try to save the guy. $50K be damned. Somewhere I heard something about, "No man left behind."

How do you want to brag to some suburbanites at the cocktail party? "I climbed Everest along with a gazillion other guys. Cost $50K." Or, "I paid $50K to climb Everest but on the way found a guy freezing to death. I abandoned my climb to save his life."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
These types of stories about Everest have been out there for decades.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve got a buddy who should be arriving to base camp within the next 48 hours. No way I could do that.

Last edited by Joshm28; 04/02/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WTF you get up there and it looks just like the photos, stay 10 minutes and you gotta leave. I don’t think it’s even the toughest peak to climb, I mean it ain’t like free-climbing El Capitan, the Sherpas could hustle most anyone up there.

OTOH to save a life, now there’s a good story to take with you.

Here’s a guy who made the right decision, I know there’s others too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-36437937

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's a known risk before the climb. Attempting a rescue is also a death sentence. There are other cases where rescues are not attempted because the rescuer will also die - fact of life.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,523
Posts18,509,710
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.