Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ronald Reagan put Russia in it's place years ago and every president since, except Trump has managed to throw all of that away. If George Patton would have had his way all of this would not be going on. If Mcarthur would have his way China would not be a communist nation.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Ronald Reagan put Russia in it's place years ago and every president since, except Trump has managed to throw all of that away. If George Patton would have had his way all of this would not be going on. If Mcarthur would have his way China would not be a communist nation.

When Reagan was president, there was no Russian nation, per se. He dealt with the Soviet Union, a Marxist regime.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

When Reagan was president, there was no Russian nation, per se. He dealt with the Soviet Union, a Marxist regime.

The Soviet Union went broke. Mikhail Gorbachev had a lot to do with ending the 'cold war'.

Reagan just happened to be there, right time and place. I know that's an unpopular position, but that's how I remember it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

The Soviet Union went broke. Mikhail Gorbachev had a lot to do with ending the 'cold war'.

Reagan just happened to be there, right time and place. I know that's an unpopular position, but that's how I remember it.

You're daft If you don't think the pressure Reagan was putting on them had anything to do with it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Daft, that could be me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The means of defence against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people." ~ James Madison.

"... peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none..." ~ Thomas Jefferson's Inaugural pledge, 1801

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stophel
"The means of defence against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people." ~ James Madison.

"... peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none..." ~ Thomas Jefferson's Inaugural pledge, 1801

Excellent quotes. So true.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

THAT

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Quick, save the hot Ukrainian women.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not just no, but hell no

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by KC

Fook no. We have no national interests in Ukraine. We don't need to get tangled up in a war with the Ruskies in their own backyard and I don't care (and we shouldn't care) what the Ruskies do on the other side of the world. We need to stop being the world's cop.

I'm of Ukrainian descent and I agree. The Ukraine tries to project themselves as the underdog but they only are because their pols stole all the money that should've been used for defense. They aren't any better than the Russians, just different.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by KC

Fook no. We have no national interests in Ukraine. We don't need to get tangled up in a war with the Ruskies in their own backyard and I don't care (and we shouldn't care) what the Ruskies do on the other side of the world. We need to stop being the world's cop.

I'm of Ukrainian descent and I agree. The Ukraine tries to project themselves as the underdog but they only are because their pols stole all the money that should've been used for defense. They aren't any better than the Russians, just different.

Being of Ukrainian descent, you should know that it's not The Ukraine. It's just Ukraine.

I worked with Ukrainians back in the 1990s, and they thought it quite odd when people referred to The Ukraine. Do we say The Russia, or The Poland?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

You're daft If you don't think the pressure Reagan was putting on them had anything to do with it.

This... ^^^^^

Ronny Ray-gun, or his advisors, were perceptive enough to know that the USSR's excessive military spending was a weak point. The liberals saw guns, missiles, and naval vessels aimed in our direction, and turned white with fear of rousing the "Russian Bear". Reagan pried and pried with "star wars" until The USSR hemorrhaged economically from trying to counter it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by KC

Being of Ukrainian descent, you should know that it's not The Ukraine. It's just Ukraine.

I worked with Ukrainians back in the 1990s, and they thought it quite odd when people referred to The Ukraine. Do we say The Russia, or The Poland?

Back in the 60s and 70s, everyone I knew called it The Ukraine. I know that people are changing that now, but it's a habit. Just like it's The Netherlands. No big deal, really. What's really ironic is that many of the first generation's parents always talked about moving back to the "old country" after the USSR was gone. We all (second generation) thought that they were crazy and it would never happen. It did happen but I doubt if many, if any, went back.
PS As an add on to my post--if the Ukrainian government had spent money on defense, they would've been able to defend themselves. I only believe in helping those that do all they can for themselves.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/02/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KC

Back in the 60s and 70s, everyone I knew called it The Ukraine. I know that people are changing that now, but it's a habit. Just like it's The Netherlands. No big deal, really. What's really ironic is that many of the first generation's parents always talked about moving back to the "old country" after the USSR was gone. We all (second generation) thought that they were crazy and it would never happen. It did happen but I doubt if many, if any, went back.

Of course that is your opinion, ya Commie Fuq

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line - Vizzini

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/russia-invade-ukraine-000000688.html

Morally, I'd love to see the US and NATO intervene; but the problem isn't a moral one, it's a logistical one. You're not going to win a war against Russia, IN RUSSIA. It's literally in their front yard. Whereas the US will have to go 5,000 miles just to show up to the dance.

What the fahq is moral about butting in business where you don't belong? Why would you pay any attention to trash spewed by Yahoo?

Send your own fahqin' kids.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by viking
Quick, save the hot Ukrainian women.

maybe air lift in some blonde hair dye

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line - Vizzini

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/russia-invade-ukraine-000000688.html

Morally, I'd love to see the US and NATO intervene...

Morally, I'd love to see you to stop posting and start thinking...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Russia and the Ukraine have been fighting over Crimea for centuries. After the breakup of the USSR, Crimea became independent but it wasn't long before they were part of the Ukraine again. Then a few years ago, Russia grabbed it again. It's a strategic port for both Russia and the Ukraine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
No. Absolutely not.

However, we should provide logistical support for the European Union when they set loose the dogs of war.

Which is another way of saying that Russia would be able to walk in without any outside intervention.

Fahq the EU too.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
From what I remember at the time. When Crimea succeeded from Ukraine/was annexed by Russia upwards of 90% of Crimea residents were in favor of it. Which makes sense most of them are ethnic Russians and would rather have ties to a still world stage relevant Russia than backwater Ukraine. Russia didn’t go in and take over a chunk of territory against the will of the people. It was almost just the opposite with near full support of Crimea. The US just can’t stand to see succession..

So by your logic, my county should be allowed to secede and become part of Canada if we want?

It probably should anyway. We'll be better off.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.