Well that is most interesting......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I like looks of the action in most respects but I do not like the recoil stops for the scope mounts. The cross slot of the Weaver base or the shoulder of the Talley are both better than a notch for a protrusion on the clamp. Nonetheless, it is undoubtedly adequate and not ugly.
I can't tell for sure but it looks like he has retained the coned breech which I would not have done. I like the gas vent hole on the off side. I couldn't tell, from the pictures, whether or nor a sear engagement adjustment was included but, if the trigger dimensions are good (and I assume they are), it is unnecessary anyway. GD

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Docbar
Originally Posted by beretzs
I had a post on here with pictures but I’ll be darned if I can find it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

It’s for sure got me salivating a bit.

Me too! Might be an “affordable” way to build a faux Legend.

Thats what I'm thinking myself

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by greydog
I like looks of the action in most respects but I do not like the recoil stops for the scope mounts. The cross slot of the Weaver base or the shoulder of the Talley are both better than a notch for a protrusion on the clamp. Nonetheless, it is undoubtedly adequate and not ugly.
I can't tell for sure but it looks like he has retained the coned breech which I would not have done. I like the gas vent hole on the off side. I couldn't tell, from the pictures, whether or nor a sear engagement adjustment was included but, if the trigger dimensions are good (and I assume they are), it is unnecessary anyway. GD

The ring and base design are a copy of Burgess QR rings/bases I believe. I know he went that way as it’s the only QR system that he has been able to use under heavy recoil successfully.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Beauty but a bit expensive. Another option go with a Defiance Rebel with CRF and three position safety. It's under 2K

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The ring and base design are a copy of Burgess QR rings/bases I believe. I know he went that way as it’s the only QR system that he has been able to use under heavy recoil successfully.

Those rings are D’Arcy’s original design whereas Burgess rings are a vertical split ring design and are certainly a mechanical mousetrap. A couple of years ago while I was in D’Arcy’s shop he showed me the prototype of his rings he was working on and they are a very solid design, as to be expected from his shop. He also had an early 3D printed prototype of his action then and it was a very impressive effort to say the least.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

I'm sure it's just fine but I would have put the recoil boss on the solid side of the ring rather than on the clamp. In truth I would rather have a full width recoil stop but I realize, by going this way, he was able to keep the bases as low as possible. The system is quite similar to that on the BRNO ZKK but with the notch at both ends instead of just at the rear. GD

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mik123
Beauty but a bit expensive. Another option go with a Defiance Rebel with CRF and three position safety. It's under 2K

And needs a trigger, rings, and bottom metal.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DavidReed

Those rings are D’Arcy’s original design whereas Burgess rings are a vertical split ring design and are certainly a mechanical mousetrap. A couple of years ago while I was in D’Arcy’s shop he showed me the prototype of his rings he was working on and they are a very solid design, as to be expected from his shop. He also had an early 3D printed prototype of his action then and it was a very impressive effort to say the least.

Yes, sorry. I was referring to the base/ring interface.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mik123

And needs a trigger, rings, and bottom metal.

It does come with a trigger grin

Only reason I know Is I ordered a Deviant GA Hunter with CRF and 3 POS safety and my grand total was 1750’ish with my Vet discount.

2 hours after I put the deposit down I called D’Arcy about a stock and he told me about his action mad

The Defiance is about 10-11 ounces lighter than the Win M70 Classic though, so that was another reason I went that direction.

Semper Fi
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
[

Only reason I know Is I ordered a Deviant GA Hunter with CRF and 3 POS safety and my grand total was 1750’ish with my Vet discount.

A "Deviant" action? Why would any fine, upstanding Campfire members use a Deviant action?

MD

(PS, yeah I know. Auto-correct strikes again.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[

A "Deviant" action? Why would any fine, upstanding Campfire members use a Deviant action?

MD

(PS, yeah I know. Auto-correct strikes again.)

Guilty...

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by MadMooner
My typical deer hunting with that rifle has been spot and stalk,...

I have been told by my hunting buddies to stop saying that we "skid and shoot", but instead we are going to say "spot and stalk".

Hah! That’s the truth.

I don’t think I fully understood road hunting until I moved out here. It’s a religion.

It's why detachable magazines are so popular. Fish and Game departments outlawed the full magazine/ empty chamber in a vehicle concept.

Logical next step was to have a "clip" ready to slam home as you leap from your vehicle.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

It's why detachable magazines are so popular. Fish and Game departments outlawed the full magazine/ empty chamber in a vehicle concept.

Logical next step was to have a "clip" ready to slam home as you leap from your vehicle.

grin
Naw... I got tired of my wife dropping rounds in knee deep snow when she drops the floorplate to clear her gun. With a "clip" she might only drop one clearing the chamber. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One of my Model 70's is a push feed, short action, which is currently set up as a silhouette rifle. The action is trued. The threads opened up to 1 1/16". The bolt is bumped to eliminate slop when in battery. GD

Could you describe what the bolt being bumped entails?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
A system whereby two dovetail inserts are used to increase the diameter of the bolt at the rear. This keeps the bolt centered against the pressure exerted by the cocking piece when the rifle is cocked. Essentially, this is a retrofit version of Borden's "bumps". GD

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks greydog. First I've heard of it or Borden bumps. Sounds similar in effect to installing sleeves but perhaps more tolerant of field conditions.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That is the point. There is no difference in operation except that the bolt fits the bore closely when it is closed. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That is the point. There is no difference in operation except that the bolt fits the bore closely when it is closed. GD

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How much is a Legend going for these days?

I'd love to get one of those actions, but wouldn't know what to build with it. I already have all the modded up Mod 70s I need- screw in a Krieger, chunk it in a McMillan.........can't think what else is needed no matter what year the action was built.

Maybe a 375 H&H but I've already got a Pre War 375 with a period correct Tilden safety lever on it (it's sitting in its travel/synthetic Echols Legend stock) and is going to Zim on Wednesday.

My Go to deer rifle is a March '36 Model 70 (ser# 109) - the wing safety fits fine under my 42 mm scope. My Go to all around rifle is a 300 Win Classic built by Charlie Sisk back in '04- lion, leopard, ibex, stag, been all over the world with that "modded" one. Got a couple-three Holehans as well, but they haven't made it in the rotation yet.

But I almost ordered a legend back when they were $8000. Last I checked they were what $15?

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 04/03/21.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.