Campfire Outfitter
S
For Whom the Bell Tolls. A great novel.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ya know, I think it's easy to plunder a man after he's gone. I would like to remember him as a great writer and a "man's man". He stated unequivocally that he could never be a Commie because he loves his liberty. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that femmy Ken Burns gay?

Winning answer:

No skilled homo filmmaker would bother to put out the boring tripe which Burns does.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Last episode tonight. I'll watch it again, but it's more or less ruining my appreciation of the man. As an English major in college, my profs adored him, which ought to come as no surprise, and he did indeed change the way novels are written forever. I see EH through his books, and what I see is a master of language. Let that be.

Pretty much this. The WAY he writes is so simple. Very little use of any extraneous words - every word has meaning. Truly a Master of the written word.

I don't really care about his 4 wives, his mental health issues, his son being a tranny or any of that other stuff. He lived, he died, and what remains are the words he left us. And I reiterate RR's observation above...let that be.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was surprised to hear Hem did not report things at the time and with held news because his career would be dead because of the libs in NY. He was always a liberal, commie. Hanging with Castro, etc.

Also that he lied so much to embellish his stories about himself.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Last episode tonight. I'll watch it again, but it's more or less ruining my appreciation of the man. As an English major in college, my profs adored him, which ought to come as no surprise, and he did indeed change the way novels are written forever. I see EH through his books, and what I see is a master of language. Let that be.

Pretty much this. The WAY he writes is so simple. Very little use of any extraneous words - every word has meaning. Truly a Master of the written word.

I don't really care about his 4 wives, his mental health issues, his son being a tranny or any of that other stuff. He lived, he died, and what remains are the words he left us. And I reiterate RR's observation above...let that be.

Well said. Agree 100%.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pretty much this. The WAY he writes is so simple. Very little use of any extraneous words - every word has meaning. Truly a Master of the written word. - - - -

This observation reminds me of an excellent writer/teacher I new up in NM - one of his instructive pieces is named "Make Every Word Tell".

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burns is a commie prick, and distorts fact and history

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I watched the last one tonight. I thought it was good, the alcoholism really ravaged his brain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I watched one segment, and was slightly surprised to rediscover why I never cared for Hem nor for most of his writing. He was a self centered narcissist and he wrote about people in his circle. Too often he wrote it in a boring, predictable style. When I read his stuff I feel like he is trying so hard to write it his way that I become conscious of the writer, which gets in the way of the story. It ain’t my thang, but I can understand why many like it. I don’t care to slog through Tolstoy either, for kind of the opposite style reason.

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/07/21. Reason: Hemingized
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Enjoyed reading all these comments! Thanks!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Much ignorance displayed by the helpless and hopeless. (Is that direct and pithy enough?)

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
For Whom the Bell Tolls. A great novel.

Yes, not only one my favorite books, but one of my favorite movies as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hemingway is in his books, he's all over them.
Burns does sleepy very well. The Civil War was many things to many people. Burns, apparently, found it quite boring so that's how he painted it.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Burns is liberal trash. Worse than a waste of time.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Apparently he was more effective with a shotgun.

For the win...

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have found it interesting and just began reading A Farewell To Arms.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm looking forward to the series! Have not seen yet.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CCCC

Pretty much this. The WAY he writes is so simple. Very little use of any extraneous words - every word has meaning. Truly a Master of the written word. - - - -

This observation reminds me of an excellent writer/teacher I new up in NM - one of his instructive pieces is named "Make Every Word Tell".

EH was more than a master of language, he was a master of effect. He chose each word with intent, and aimed each sentence with utter discipline. In any of his works, using less words or lesser words is impossible. I don't think The Old Man And The Sea will ever be equalled.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I watched the last one tonight. I thought it was good, the alcoholism really ravaged his brain.

Along with all the head injuries; great egotistical, self-centered, selfish writer with a very sad & dark life with a terrible ending at age 61.

From some of the film, you'd have thought he was 85 or so.

Burns is a big time fake azzhole, IMO, who badly skews things to his own ends.

MM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.