Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
No offense, but that offset ring mount is one of the most hideous things I've seen screwed on a rifle.

Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
No offense, but that offset ring mount is one of the most hideous things I've seen screwed on a rifle.

The most hideous thing I see, is a scope made in CHY-NA mounted on a good old American made rifle

The offset ring is made by Leupold right here in good old America and the most hideous thing I saw was a $1,000 scope with mushy turrets made by the same folks who made my rings.

But ya know what folks?...this was my father's rifle...he died of pancreatic/kidney/bladder cancer at age 84 this past Oct. 20th 2021 ...not long after asking me to take all his guns and he was my best hunting buddy and also?...a very frugal man having been born in the Depression era and living a childhood during WWII...this scope replaced the $119 3-9X40 Bushnell (made in Korea) I mounted up for him about 30 years ago...I'd definitely buy the scope again....not sure I can say the same about the rings...and that's why America is where it's at today....greed.

Last edited by Marine77; 04/09/22.

Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
After thinking about it I just felt compelled to add that when I ordered those Leupold Offset Rings?...The online pix of them (as offered by several dealers) was very confusing as it seemed they were depicted in a reverse position as though they were to extend the scope further forward so I called Leupold customer service/product support and they assured me te rings were in fact designed to bring the scope closer to the eye on ruger long actions and even though the online pix didn
t make sense?...they were taken at very flattering angles that DID NOT expose what we see here and it wasn't until they arrived in the clear plastic packaging that I was like WTH! shocked

First thought was I wasn't even going to waste my time or ring the finish of my new scope with them but being a 35 year aerospace machinist?....I actually began to see the method behind Leupolds madness as the huge difference here is that offset ring is not just milled from steel plate...it starts out life as a "Dogleg Forging" and while that bridge section is a scant .100" thick?...it's also only .125" in length...in essence?...it's a nub of forged steel that would sheer, crack or shatter before it bent and if the scope took a hard enough hit to break it?...chances are the ring is the least of your worry and the scope is probably trashed and while it certainly isn't a contestant in the beauty pageant?...the design dows offer much more clearance for insertion and ejection of cartridges as opposed to mounting up a one piece aluminum base rail to use standard ring sets...such is the curse of the ruger long action for short necked shooters.

BTW....I took this pic to make it look as ugly and non-flattering as possible because it kind of pissed me off that they pretty much did all they could to hide this reality in all the online pic of Leupold RM Offset rings but if there were a better option?...I'd jump on it.

[Linked Image]

Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,819
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.