-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(N)everstart, carried by Advance Auto Parts is pretty much guaranteed to leak acid, and fail at the absolutely least convenient time, if that's what you're looking for.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Some time ago, I started buying replacement batteries from the dealers of whatever car the battery is for.

Replaced every 3 years, whether it's still holding a charge or not.

Cheap insurance. Haven't been stuck miles from home because of a battery since.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hear too much about batteries, if I can pick one up a 3 year at Wal-Mart for $90 I figure I'm good to go.

I have heard alot about how unreliable aftermarket alternators are , the market is flooded with knockoff brands and its common to pick up a cheap one at your local parts store thinking they are selling something decent.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Could also be bad grounding leads at the block.

When I do a battery retrofit like I just did... or rewire a trailer... I ground the crap out of everything at least twice. Never ever hurts to have lots and lots of cross grounding.

Honda ground wires are lighter than I like, but I am an overkill kinda guy.

Good luck... these are great little beaters. Paid $2700 for mine and treat her like a redheaded stepchild. Cheaper than an ATV.

Yep, lots of stuff to check and this thread is giving me a good list of things to look at.

On the CR-V, yeah, I love this little thing. Handles great, easy to get in and out of tight parking lots, decent mileage and it carries 95% of what I need carried. Been thinking about a new mid-size pickup but not a lot of inventory out there so like everything these days it's a seller's market. The car only has a bit over 123,000 miles on it and has been maintained regularly so I figure it's only about halfway through its expected life span. Lots cheaper to give it some TLC when needed and keep it going than buy even a lower mileage used pick up.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd check at the brake lines while you got the hood up. Not sure what its like in Idaho, in the rust belt my 2003 CRV was already having brake lines rust and need replacing by 2010

Generally bullet proof car though, I had a 5 speed, which I was able to buy relatively on the cheap because few people want a CRV in a 5 speed. That V-TEC engine and 5 speed didn't give it much of a chance to have many problems.

I replaced the front calipers, alternator and some brake lines, that was it.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/12/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure about lousy batteries, but I've had good luck with Interstate from Costco.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have found NAPA batteries made by Johnson Controls to be absolutely worthless. Johnson CAN make some good batteries, but I believe NAPA has set the contract parameters just to the point where the battery intentionally fails within the warranty period, hooking the customer into coming back to claim a few bucks credit on the warranty...to repeat the cycle over and over. I am not a casual user, my son and I have about 20 pieces of equipment and commercial vehicles, we use a lot of batteries.

Appreciate the real life experience as I need to replace a couple. Which brand(s) have you been happiest with?

In the equipment that takes a lot of shock and vibration, surprisingly, plain old 48 month Interstate batteries have been very reliable for us. It's just an anecdote, but I had 4 group 31's in the excavator, they served about 5 years. I thought, well, they must be about wore out, I'll take the one with the highest voltage and put it in the forklift where it gave good service for three more years, I thought well, it's gotta be toast by now, but it load tested within specs, so I put in the diesel welder..where it resides today. I just checked the little punch out date tabs...I put that battery in service 9 years ago this June. But, it doesn't get very cold here, low teens Dec and Jan, rarely gets to zero.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Not sure about lousy batteries, but I've had good luck with Interstate from Costco.

Costco has Interstate make a line just for them. I don't know about starting batteries, but for an example, check their golf cart batteries for RV's. They say Interstate but if you check the power storage, they're a fraction of what the better ones are from Interstate.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Les Schwab batteries are terrible.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a few top battery brands out there. However, I've always been partial to Delco. Seems to last longest with least amount of trouble.
I have tested and installed thousands and thousands of batteries in my time.

-Ken

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had good luck with the Duracell batteries from Sams club.

Made in USA.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought a Coast to Coast 20 buck battery, (sale price) that didn't last a year! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had good luck with batteries from Walmart and or Sam's.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Crown batteries are made locally. Very few around here have a favorable view of them.
I've had good luck with Interstate, Walmart and Autozone batteries.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Exide is the only supplier that I know of that got kicked out of Automotive OEM supply.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
There are only two battery manufacturers, just lots of different labels. Take your pick...

Brand/ Manufacturer
ACDelco / Johnson Controls
Advance Auto / Johnson Controls
AutoCraft / Johnson Controls
Autolite. / Exide
AutoZone / Johnson Controls
Bosch / Johnson Controls
Champion / Johnson Controls
Costco / Johnson Controls
Delco / Johnson Controls
Delco-Remy / Exide
DieHard. / Johnson Controls
Duralast / Johnson Controls
Equalizer / Johnson Controls
EverStart / Exide or Johnson Controls
Firestone /Johnson Controls
Interstate /Johnson Controls
Marathon / Exide
Motorcraft / Johnson Controls
NAPA /Exide
Optima /Johnson Controls
Orbital /Exide
Pep Boys /Johnson Controls
Sears / Exide or Johnson Controls
Wal-Mart / Exide or Johnson Controls,

Didn’t see “Renault” on that list, that was how the presumably OEM battery on my Nissan Frontier was marked. It only lasted 18mos/35,000 miles.

Didn’t see “Super Start” on there either. That was the premium 3yr O’Reilly’s Auto Parts battery I replaced it with ($185 ouch!). It is marked “Made in Brazil”, maybe they still use virgin lead down there I dunno.

Both times the first battery was dead in the morning my NOCO GB 70 jump starter fired the motor up instantly. Bought it based upon recommendations here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pair of jumper cables walk into a bar.

Bartender says, "Okay, I'll serve you, but don't start anything!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
There are only two battery manufacturers, just lots of different labels. Take your pick...

Brand/ Manufacturer
ACDelco / Johnson Controls
Advance Auto / Johnson Controls
AutoCraft / Johnson Controls
Autolite. / Exide
AutoZone / Johnson Controls
Bosch / Johnson Controls
Champion / Johnson Controls
Costco / Johnson Controls
Delco / Johnson Controls
Delco-Remy / Exide
DieHard. / Johnson Controls
Equalizer / Johnson Controls
EverStart / Exide or Johnson Controls
Firestone /Johnson Controls
Interstate /Johnson Controls
Marathon / Exide
Motorcraft / Johnson Controls
NAPA /Exide
Optima /Johnson Controls
Orbital /Exide
Pep Boys /Johnson Controls
Sears / Exide or Johnson Controls
Wal-Mart / Exide or Johnson Controls,

Ever hear of Dekka?
Look it up. East Penn Manufacturing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
No corrosion, they cleaned everything well when the new battery was installed. It's rated for 500-750 cold crank amps and the Honda specs call for a 500 cca battery.

[Linked Image]

That's exactly how my tractor looked but was very sluggish and at times would not even turn over.

Mechanic bud stopped by to look -first statement was "corrosion".

It was on the cables under where they meet the mounts.

He cut about 1/2" cable off of both +/- sides and it's not been an issue since.

A lot of folks don't realize that corrosion will run a long ways up the wire.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a load tester and dc amp clamp that do a great job of telling me what's going on. Thelma tester is great for diagnosing battery health.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.