Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Which of the Cabelas's branded tent is the most serviceable? The Instinct or guide model. Not trying to find a fly-weight tent. Just want one that can handle wind and rain

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Outfitter XWT or the like if they still make them.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the Alaknak 12x12 with vestibule. Also have a 3dog wood burning stove to heat it. Good tent. Has handled the wind pretty well. Never been in anything much over 25mph. Haven't had it a heavy rain storm. Will get some condensation but hasn't been to bad. Not really a 4 season tent. Had it at the south rim for a late cow hunt, temps in the single didgets to just below 0. Wouldn't do that again, soon as the stove burned down it got cold. Hard to keep temp up for over 4 hours or so without reloading stove. Used it on a late oct deer hunt lows in the mid 20's was much easier to keep tent warm. This size was good for two guys and gear with stove for a week or so. Without the stove can fit 3 guys and gear (cots, bags, etc)

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The trouble with buying Cabela’s branded anything now is not knowing if you are getting a quality product from a contract that was originated by Cabela’s or if you are getting BassPro garbage. I would go with a name brand tent.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you want to fight wind and rain and still be able to have a tent that can hold heat and warm up quickly in the morning....

My first choice would be Springbar out of Utah, and a buddy heater w/20lb propane tank

Or, what I did was buy a Kodiak Flex-bow and a buddy heater w/20lb lp tank...

I have had nylon tents, wall tents and truck campers.... my camping gear evolution has come down to the Kodiak and a gas heater... Just saying.

Check out the Kodiak on YouTube... there is a really cool video of a hunting group that set up camp and as a storm blew in...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cabelas is no longer to be trusted IMHO.

They have burned me too many times on their Warranty or Lifetime Warranty Cabales Products that are now void because BPS bought Cabelas... even though I am physically standing in a Cabelas store.

Good luck in your search.

Rant over.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can not think of any other store or brand that has fallen so far so fast as Cabela's has since the BPS buyout. It truly is very sad and depressing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mikieb
If you want to fight wind and rain and still be able to have a tent that can hold heat and warm up quickly in the morning....

My first choice would be Springbar out of Utah, and a buddy heater w/20lb propane tank

I have had nylon tents, wall tents and truck campers.... my camping gear evolution has come down to the Kodiak and a gas heater... Just saying.

Check out the Kodiak on YouTube... there is a really cool video of a hunting group that set up camp and as a storm blew in...

Yep! I also recommend this setup over the stupid vehicle mounted tents it seems everyone wants. I say those are for people afraid of being eaten by bears. I have 2 kodiaks in different sizes. I like the doors and features of kodiak over spring bar. But springbar is going to be more durable but for most people they would never use the tents enough to ever find out. I can have a kodiak tent setup in 5 minutes. I typically spend about 30 nights a year in a kodiak.

I also have an alps dome tent I use for boat trips. Just because it’s way lighter and smaller.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the 6 person Instinct tent and love it. I used it hunting as a base camp during the third season in Colorado. I have been in it with heavy snow and even freezing rain, and it has not failed me in five years. If you peg the fly properly and leave a small flap open on top (inside), you will have no moisture in the tent. I use a Mr. Buddy Heater and stay very warm. I usually run the heater on low. I've never used the Guide so I can't comment on that one to know if there are any differences. You may want to PM KC to see how he likes these two. I know he has, or has had, the Instinct.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mikieb

\

x2

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alaska drop hunts use Cabelas guide tents, 8 man usually. I have been in one at 60 mph and the floor was a foot in the air with everything we had inside. Stood up to it to my amazement. Can't believe there would be anything any better.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of the high-end tents I've looked at are either tiny or expensive due to their weight shaving features. I don't mind if the tent weighs 10#

Needs to handle 60 mph wind

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dennis, I have a 6 person Alaskan Cabelas tent... its handled some pretty rough and windy weather, here on the Oregon Coast, where it blows right in right on the ocean, at some pretty high velocity.... it has proven to be pretty stout even in 50 to 60 mph winds.. just have it staked down pretty good...

it has a pretty good frame to it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Aluminum poles?

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know that this is totaly out of the box. One of the guy's in our camping group got one of these. The performance of a straight wall tent is off the charts.

EZ-UP Tent

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
good thread

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have both 6 and 8 man Alaskan Guide model tents both bought out of the bargain cave. Have stood well in 50 -60 mph in thunderstorms with lots of rain. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MM879
I know that this is totaly out of the box. One of the guy's in our camping group got one of these. The performance of a straight wall tent is off the charts.

EZ-UP Tent
That's not much to go on. It has no info whatever. 1 poor pic, no description at all, not even whether it has a floor.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always drive the stakes in at the optimum angle per soil friction profile.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Always drive the stakes in at the optimum angle per soil friction profile.

Use them anchors like Teddy Joe put down for the double wide.

‘Nader proof.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.