Hop To
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Devastating rebuttal. smirk

OK, Hawkeye.

I'll give you a rebuttal.

Mistake of Fact would be an officer believing a suspect matches the description of a wanted felon in their AOR. As a result the officer approaches the subject in an advanced state of readiness because the suspect has a history of violent assault and attempted murder. As he approaches the suspect the suspect pulls a phone out of their pocket and the officer believes it to be a firearm. The officer shoots and kills the suspect.

Mistake of fact would be 1.) It was not a gun. 2.) Although the appearance and location of the suspect were nearly identical to the individual the officer was looking for, he ended up not being the wanted felon.

You could interject mistake of facts in a case like this as a defense.

But "golly shucks officer, I forgot the pedal on the right make it go fast and the pedal on the left make it stop" is not an argument for mistake of fact. It means you're just a fugkin idiot that can't drive, and you killed somebody as a result.

I hope now that you see you don't know WTF you're talking about. But I doubt it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave

Devastating rebuttal. smirk

OK, Hawkeye.

I'll give you a rebuttal.

Mistake of Fact would be an officer believing a suspect matches the description of a wanted felon in their AOR. As a result the officer approaches the subject in an advanced state of readiness because the suspect has a history of violent assault and attempted murder. As he approaches the suspect the suspect pulls a phone out of their pocket and the officer believes it to be a firearm. The officer shoots and kills the suspect.

Mistake of fact would be 1.) It was not a gun. 2.) Although the appearance and location of the suspect were nearly identical to the individual the officer was looking for, he ended up not being the wanted felon.

You could interject mistake of facts in a case like this as a defense.

But "golly shucks officer, I forgot the pedal on the right make it go fast and the pedal on the left make it stop" is not an argument for mistake of fact. It means you're just a fugkin idiot that can't drive, and you killed somebody as a result.

I hope now that you see you don't know WTF you're talking about. But I doubt it.

That's a nonsense rebuttal. The criteria for a mistake of fact defense is that it be credible. Which means, to deny it to her, you'd have to assert that she actually knew it was a Glock and not a Taser at the moment she pulled the trigger. Is that what you're asserting?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's a nonsense rebuttal. The criteria for a mistake of fact defense is that it be credible. Which means, to deny it to her, you'd have to assert that she actually knew it was a Glock and not a Taser at the moment she pulled the trigger. Is that what you're asserting?

That went exactly like I thought it would.

LOL

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That went exactly like I thought it would.

LOL

On that we can agree.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey, why did you run over that four year old?

Oh because I thought it was in reverse. Mistake of Fact, your honor.

LOL

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
There's a lot of if's, and's, and but's here..........however, the bottom line is as it always in cases like this...........the Negro would still be alive had he just complied with the police, and not resisted. Why can't they just understand that, even at their IQ level.
Few would quarrel with that. The facts are he didn't comply, and one officer could not get the cuffs on him and backed off allowing him the opportunity to get away, then the woman cop interceded by the time he got in his vehicle and shot him instead of tasing him, as she was announcing she was doing. Had she been a rookie it would not look so bad but she wasn't. She was someone who trained rookies and killed a man regardless of the prior situation. If the person she foolishly killed had been anyone else's son, husband, friend they would demand justice, too, regardless of their skin color.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by JamesJr
There's a lot of if's, and's, and but's here..........however, the bottom line is as it always in cases like this...........the Negro would still be alive had he just complied with the police, and not resisted. Why can't they just understand that, even at their IQ level.
Few would quarrel with that. The facts are he didn't comply, and one officer could not get the cuffs on him and backed off allowing him the opportunity to get away, then the woman cop interceded by the time he got in his vehicle and shot him instead of tasing him, as she was announcing she was doing. Had she been a rookie it would not look so bad but she wasn't. She was someone who trained rookies and killed a man regardless of the prior situation. If the person she foolishly killed had been anyone else's son, husband, friend they would demand justice, too, regardless of their skin color.

The sad, but undeniable truth here is that if she had shot a White guy, under the exact same circumstances, it would not have made the news.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

LOL

That would be a civil case, not criminal, if the assertion that it was a mistake was credible under the circumstances, and not just a post hoc excuse to explain away reckless or malicious conduct. If the latter, then it's a criminal matter.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
She'll do time, I'll guess 3 years.

She likely will, which is why she shouldn't have been charged. It's a civil matter, not criminal, when one causes death or injury due to mishandling their work-related equipment. There was zero malice on her part. There was no reckless disregard on her part. In the midst of mayhem (caused by the deceased), she accidentally grabbed the wrong piece of equipment. In law, that's called mistake of fact, which is clear here. Mistake of fact renders one innocent of criminal mens rea.

Cept, cops are and should be held to a higher standard than say, a logger with a saw.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

LOL

That would be a civil case, not criminal, if the assertion that it was a mistake was credible under the circumstances, and not just a post hoc excuse to explain away reckless or malicious conduct. If the latter, then it's a criminal matter.

If someone takes your cow with the intent to purchase but doesn't pay, is this civil or criminal?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Folks if ol'Daunte complies he's not shot. Yes she made a mistake but we don't put mistake makers in prison. Personally I hope she walks.

Who on earth told you that mistake makers don't go to prison?
Look up "Mistake of Fact." That's what happened here.
No. It isn't.
So, she just pretended to have grabbed the wrong piece of equipment in order to execute Daunte?

No, she was negligent, maybe. Negligent or not, she was "Incompetent" at the very least.

To be negligent is to be neglectful. Negligence is an important legal concept; it's usually defined as the failure to use the care that a normally careful person would in a given situation. Negligence is a common claim in lawsuits regarding medical malpractice, auto accidents, and workplace injuries.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Former officer Kim Potter made a fatal mistake and many have had their lives changes forever. Obviously Mr. Wright paid a very high price. However in too many cases the "person of interest" has elevated the contact with failing to comply. His two count gross misdemeanor - possession of a firearm w/o a permit and fleeing a peace officer was going to lead to an arrest. His probation from an earlier aggravated robbery would also have been revoked. The lenient cost would most likely have increased his bail as their goal is to minimize the Hennepin County jail roster.
To repeat, none of this excuses Potter - but all would be with us today, but the media will never tell the entire story.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
If someone takes your cow with the intent to purchase but doesn't pay, is this civil or criminal?
Nonsense comparison. Or you need to fill in a lot of missing factors.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Last edited by steve4102; 04/15/21.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Nonsense comparison.

Which is it? Or you simply don't know?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

LOL

LOL

Just stop.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by steve4102
No, she was negligent, maybe. Negligent or not, she was "Incompetent" at the very least.

To be negligent is to be neglectful. Negligence is an important legal concept; it's usually defined as the failure to use the care that a normally careful person would in a given situation. Negligence is a common claim in lawsuits regarding medical malpractice, auto accidents, and workplace injuries.

That's a legitimate argument, but one to be made in civil, not criminal, court.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nonsense comparison.

Which is it? Or you simply don't know?

Fill in the facts a bit more so we can discuss it. Too sparse.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

See my above definition of Negligent Homicide.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Negligent injury, negligent homicide or both criminal

Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.