Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am perusing the campfire tonight with my knee wrapped after this afternoon’s surgery. My knee has bothered me for two months, with some days and nights being almost unbearable. After surgery, I walked out of the hospital with no crutches and have felt better than at any time in the last couple months. Hopefully, it is not just the drugs making me think that things are better in the knee than they really are. We will see tomorrow.

Now for more information. I am 53 and the surgeon said that he does see arthritis in that knee and not to expect to feel like a young man.

Does anyone else here have some first hand experience to share? I would appreciate it.

Mike

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wife had it done couple of years ago...Seems to have worked don't hear her complaining anymore about her knee hurting.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did 6 months of PT before realizing surgery was my only choice. Made me almost 100%. Still have a loss of flexibility in that knee but I don't baby it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
BTDT
It’ll feel great for some time. No way to tell how long. Might be a couple years; might be never.

You’ll know when you need a TKA.

Good luck!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
PS. Have your doc submit an order for PT.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a medial menisectomy on my right knee when I was 16 as a result of a football injury. Surgery then was relatively primitive compared to today (so I am told). Doc told me I would have noticeable arthritis pain by age 30. At 63, I have little to no knee pain as long as I (1) do regular squats (makes a huge difference) and; (2) take collagen. My medial condyles (top and bottom) are noticeably protruding to the inside compared to my other knee (which you see a lot with surgical knees) but my pain is damn near a nothing-burger, if I manage it. Caveat: I can't hike or walk long distances without the need for Meloxicam or Ibuprofen, but day-to-day living is pretty much pain-free. If you end up with arthritic pain down the road, take a look at platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy.

Last edited by Tarquin; 04/15/21.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
PS. Have your doc submit an order for PT.

Yes, do this.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I had it done a couple of years ago. Everybody's situation is different. It took a few weeks before I was comfortable again after mine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had both done years ago and both are doing fine.I think about 15 years now.

The left was the one tore up bad and he had to drill holes in the bone heads to make scar tissue to make things last longer.

He gave me this warranty:two steps,two miles,two months,two years or the rest of my life.

The right knee had a lot of fluid on it and after they pulled a bunch out it felt a bit better.

It was the quicker of the two to get over but so far so good.

I do not run so maybe that is why they have lasted so long.

Did they send you home with a cooling device,it helps a lot with the pain and swelling?

Just take it easy and heal up some before you mess it up worse.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am on the list for the newly approved replacement surgery.
Kind of a soft hockey puck looking thing with a concave center. Both sides what’s left of them are taken out, knee joint spread, this slipped in.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mine was done two weeks ago. Ibuprofen for two days afterwards. Didn't need any of the heavy meds. Felt better three days after surgery than I had for months. Two different tears in same knee.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Had mine "scoped" again yesterday...........It was the second time on the left knee. Tore cartilage several years ago for the first one.
I have quite a bit of arthritis in there and they cleaned up some floaters etc so it doesn't do the snap ,crackle, pop and swell up and limit movement.
Going up and down stairs was getting to be an issue. I also walked out of the hospital on my own like you and I must say that today it feels better than it has in 6 months.
Probably partly drugs but it is not grinding like it was. Start PT on Monday.
Good luck sir you will be fine.
X

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,
So as has been said: Figure month or less to fully recover; be mindful that diligent quad strengthening is key; follow your PT instructions to the letter. If he says do extra lunges between now and your next PT visit, then lunge your way to the mailbox and back every blessed day, etc. Yes the joint will become arthritic prematurely in that knee, and yes it is mostly from not having all of your meniscus, but that is water under the bridge due to the injury; the surgery at least will make your relatively pain free with higher utility for a good while. No one can say how long, but “years” anyway. I tell patients, just imagine that knee is aged 10-20yrs older than your good knee. Can’t go back again, just go use it and enjoy life. You will like be at essentially 100% when recovered, maybe a small effusion if get rough on it, but no worries. Remember: quad strength ( most important with acl’s, but still true with meniscus, still true with overall protecting the knee under use.)

Clean-ups (repeat debridements) are common down the road. Hard to say when, but for increased pain or locking occurring again. That too can’t be helped. Fortunately, pretty easy surgery to tolerate.

Became the knee patient two winters back myself so had to follow my own friggen advice.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sand
What is your practice?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fam med. Was a failed ortho applicant back in the day, which is to say, i didn’t make that cut, but learned a lot on the way and still enjoy the heck out of.

Add: and get in the habit of unloading your weight from that postop knee when pivot. I.e. don’t ask that knee to pivot under a heavy load, say under a pack or headed down hill.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think I lasted close to 10 years after my medial meniscus surgery before I needed the total replacement. The arthritis had gotten progressively worse over time. Synvisc and cortisone injections after about 5 years, then even they weren't very effective.

PT is your friend.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, sand.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeJinVT
I am perusing the campfire tonight with my knee wrapped after this afternoon’s surgery. My knee has bothered me for two months, with some days and nights being almost unbearable. After surgery, I walked out of the hospital with no crutches and have felt better than at any time in the last couple months. Hopefully, it is not just the drugs making me think that things are better in the knee than they really are. We will see tomorrow.

Now for more information. I am 53 and the surgeon said that he does see arthritis in that knee and not to expect to feel like a young man.

Does anyone else here have some first hand experience to share? I would appreciate it.

Mike

Had mine done ten years ago.Three tears in the meniscus and shaved ragged cartilage on the femur.Man it felt great after the surgery,then woke up in the middle of the night(about twelve hours later) and the pain!!!!! Exercise helps get you back,but takes a little time. The hardest thing for me was going up and down steps.I think it took about a year before I could go up and down steps and it didn't hurt.Had to change my lead leg from my left to my right and also be careful not to twist it.

Last edited by baldhunter; 04/15/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Had mine done 24 years ago. They basically went in arthroscopically and cleaned up the edges of my tear. Rested for a day with some Vics. Up walking with crutches in two days, no meds. On a plane in 3 days to a company meeting where we had to do an obstacle course for some "team building". Did it as well as I could.

These days I couldn't be happier with it. None of that clicking pain since the surgery. Going down a mountain or a bunch of steps can get a little sporty. So does getting up from a squatting position; otherwise I'm GTG.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had my left knee done in 2014 and never a problem since. I walked in to PT at 2 weeks and was asked why I was there. Had my right knee scoped in 16 and it was a total fail. I ended up with a TKR in 18. When I first retired my left knee was my problem knee. Go figure.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,860
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.