Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I almost bought a power sharpener - but I picked up one of these, and can’t believe how good it works.... so I don’t need a power one anymore.

It’s a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener (file system) that adjusts your rakers at the same time it’s sharpening the teeth - All good !!

This is a great sharpener made for Stihl by Pferd of Germany. The blue ones that don't say Stihl are the same, but quite a bit cheaper.

Pferd

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I meant there were very few old hands in the logging industry, and if they were they were guys you wanted to listen to. I missed the Vito reference......

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Wear chaps too! And a damn helmet/facemask
Elksalyer says he wears all that...and he doesn't even own a chainsaw!

Can only protect a liberal so much. They will still find a way to hurt themselves. Usually by thinking. We should tell him he should forego the helmet....
I think he was talking about wearing them out partying...some sort of bars or some such...some dude named Vito...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

This is a wee tip for those who use a machine for maintaining their chains.

I picked up a digital tyre depth gauge on a whim to see if it would be of use to measure the rakers, not only does it work but heck yes it works. No more pissing about guessing when using a machine.

Ebay link

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Yes, it is that time of year here.

[Linked Image]

Nice!

My wild guess is that you're sharpening way more chains than the guy using a $2 file?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Spotshooter 2n1 = like !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I got 38 stitches in my left thigh, that says you are right. Stihl 039
What a bloody mess. Ruined my pants too.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I almost bought a power sharpener - but I picked up one of these, and can’t believe how good it works.... so I don’t need a power one anymore.

It’s a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener (file system) that adjusts your rakers at the same time it’s sharpening the teeth - All good !!

This is a great sharpener made for Stihl by Pferd of Germany. The blue ones that don't say Stihl are the same, but quite a bit cheaper.

Pferd

I paid the same for the Stihl brand as the blue one in your post at my local dealer.

It works great, easy and fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The power sharpeners are fine for the guy cutting firewood next to his house, or the cutter who uses his saw less than 4 hours a year. The downside is once you use them on your chain you have to keep using them. A file will give you way more life in your chain and easier to touch up every time you fill up.

Interesting point as to the original post. I'll stick with the little plate to slap on and file them down but good to know!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I got 38 stitches in my left thigh, that says you are right. Stihl 039
What a bloody mess. Ruined my pants too.

simonkenton7:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day is a fine one in your part of the planet and that all in your world are well.

I'm sorry to read of your chainsaw incident and hope too that you've healed completely.

After running power saws for personal use over the last 4 decades, never once did I come close to biting myself.... until I did...

My good wife and daughters felt it'd be not a bad idea for me to invest in some chaps or pants and then as I did some research - some of which was chatting with our fellow forum member 673 who makes his living with a chainsaw, I picked up a pair of lightly used Big K Clothing Logger King 4100 Threshold pants.

They're as tough as they are hot! laugh

Anyways all that to say that PPE isn't a bad idea at any age, but as we age it's likely even a better idea.

All the best to you and all our fellow chainsaw users.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Real men still run McCulloch's. None of that Swede or Kraut crap here...you are a weinie if you think a saw should start on the first 4 pulls. Anti vibration technology is for transgender types. Noise and weight reduction is for pajama boys. How you gonna learn the manly mechanical skills needed to attract women if your saw never breaks down? Grin.

McCulloch 125 Super Pro

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I went with a chains sharpener a month ago. I had several that were in bad shape and really needed a good grinding. It looks just like the one in the 1st post. It was $315 and a bit too much. I hardly take anything off of the chisel blade and they are very sharp. I did notice that I have to be carefull not to get the blade too hot. It can turn it a blueish color and I think that could effect the steels hardness, so I just go slow and real light. It takes about 10 min. and I will hand file if I can. Hopwever, I am getting all my wood, mostly ash for free. Just go there and they load it in 10' long lumber . It has a lot of nails , bird feeder hooks, and some other un identifiable metal in that wood. therefore , it is hard on the blade. I I cut right in the back yard , so a trip to the garage is close. .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by roundoak
Real men still run McCulloch's. None of that Swede or Kraut crap here...you are a weinie if you think a saw should start on the first 4 pulls. Anti vibration technology is for transgender types. Noise and weight reduction is for pajama boys. How you gonna learn the manly mechanical skills needed to attract women if your saw never breaks down? Grin.

McCulloch 125 Super Pro

Laughin so hard my wife is wondering what i'm reading. Just campfire stuff , I tell her and she gives me an eye roll sometimes.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sharpening chains in the shop I use the old Granberg File-N-Joint jig and a raker gauge. In the field I go free hand with a file holder, that is until now I use the Pferd tool in the field.

The hired man has better eyes then me (so he says) and insists on touching up in the field with file.

Last edited by roundoak; 04/17/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not about to get rid of my raker gauges just yet. The top one I ground down below specs to use when I cut a pine plantation sale. Takes a real bite in the wood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

McCulloch 125 Super Pro

Old, outdated, and cool as hell.

I have 10-10's that get brought along as pinch saws.
Sometimes I just enjoy running them. But not for long!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When I used to cut timber there was somebody who made a plate that had a hole for the raker and plate went on top of 2 teeth and you simply filed the raker off to the top of the plate, cheap and easy

Carlton made those, invented by Ray Carlton, one of the nices guys you could ever want. After he died the company was sold to Oregon. I have several of those somewhere but I file rakers by how the chips look.

Yes, I worked in the machine shop at Carlton.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those work great with a grinder.
Grind a lot of chains. All sizes. That tool covers everything

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a big old McCulloch many years ago. Man I'm glad that thing is gone.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When I used to cut timber there was somebody who made a plate that had a hole for the raker and plate went on top of 2 teeth and you simply filed the raker off to the top of the plate, cheap and easy

Had one worked great

Those were fine Sherm but Carlton made a stainless file o plate that took each tooth down to the right depth individually. It also cut the raker at a angle to help with boring through a log

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ground all my chains on a Silvey Razur Sharp II chisel bit, I only used the Carlton plate a little while then by feel on how the chain fed while cutting. You better not go to far on the rakers bucking logs using the tip boring into a log it would be if your face.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Unless one of you boys have a Homelite 8-29 (as far as I know the biggest saw ever built, frequently seen with a 87 inch bar for ripping redwood etc) Roundoak hereby nominated "Bull Buck" for the Manly Man Sidehill Gouger Society. For those of you pilgrims in Ioway what ain't seen big timber, the Mac SP 125 makes full grown redwoods quake in terror. The Sierra Club did a study, and a 6 hour day with a Mac 125 burns so much mix it causes the Pacific Ocean to rise 2 inches. Which the Sierra Club don't like, but clams do.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.