Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Just wanted to post this warning before you spend your hard earned money. You'd be wise to never buy any Pentax or Ricoh products like I did (Pentax). Their customer service is virtually non-existent. Ricoh and Pentax share a customer service / repair system.
I bought a pair of 12x50 PCF WP II binos. The aluminum connector on the left eyepiece broke, such that it would not focus.

My extensive online research revealed only two possible places for repairs in the USA: Denver Pentax customer service / repair center, and Precision Camera in Enfield, CT. Further research revealed that the Denver center had been shut down (yet its presence not removed from the web, purporting to be a going concern). So that left only one option, Precision Camera.

I sent it to them (their website did NOT - repeat did NOT - tell me to call first to get a R.A. number - it just said mail the item in; so I did). Well, they flat out refused to do the repairs, even though they admitted they had the parts, and even though I stood ready, willing, and able to pay ANY amount necessary for their repairs and return shipping, simply because I did not have my original receipt (who keeps those?). Regardless, receipt or not, I'm willing to PAY for the repairs, so.... Went round and round on the phone; they started a ticket there at Precision, and started a ticket at Pentax as well. NO ONE from either outfit EVER contacted me back as promised, to resolve the open dispute ticket.

Two months later, they shipped them back untouched with the phrase "RETURNING UNREPAIRED" in the box called "Explanation of Repairs". No other explanation.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life, that they won't let you PAY for the repairs you need - they admitted to me on the phone that there was no other possible authorized repair center for Pentax.

Just ridiculously bad customer service. Does anyone know some outfit who might have parts for this bino? Or know how to completely remove the left side so that I can use the good side as a monocular? Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Good to know. The Denver center repaired a set a few years ago for me for like 10 bucks.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I spoke to several retailers in the past year and they all said about the same thing in regards to Pentax.

Tried a Z series and it was not good. Sent it back to optics planet for a refund

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See what Doug at camera land says

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Pentax was sold to Ricoh they reduced the Sport Optics customer service dept to 1 person. They basically turned sport optics into the unwanted step child. We, at that time, stopped carrying their products. We cannot sell product that we cannot offer quality customer service on.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the head's up. There are plenty of good companies out there with good warranties. Pentax can dry up and blow away.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,231 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.