Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RGK

1931 Colt Government .45, El Paso leather. Still a good one.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sweet!

Bob, where did you find that original dipped magazine?

I need one for my 1918.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I tripped over a new Colt Defender yesterday at Brandenburg Guns, here in Kentucky, for $1066, but who'd want a pistol without any sights? I think it's a poorly conceived idea, but it was there, and unused. The tag said "new".

Their phone number is available on Lipsey's dealer site for Kentucky gun dealers. Dunno if they do mail-order (internet orders) or not, but you can call and find out.

It's a nice little shop, with a lot of various "stuff" both hunting stuff and black rifles, too. Hard to believe I lived so close and didn't know about it until I tripped over it on the Lipsey's site.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RGK
If I were buying new and wanted just one Colt 1911, I'd pick a new series 70 Colt National Match Gold Cup. Excellent adjustable sights, no FPS, decent triggers (usually) out of the box. I'd have my bud Justin McMillan tune the trigger (4 lbs), add a snug bushing and I'd be happy. Colt is making probably the best 1911s ever now.
Bob

A new Colt NM Gold Cup has been atop my most wanted list a good bit. They're hard to find right now and when they do come up, they're way above MSRP.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

Sweet!

I need one for my 1918.

Colt Forum. It's a hit or miss thing. They're not cheap. Mine was $250.00. Good luck!
Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

Sweet!

I need one for my 1918.

Colt Forum. It's a hit or miss thing. They're not cheap. Mine was $250.00. Good luck!
Bob

Haha. Yeah. That's why I was asking. Worth more per oz than gold. Lol.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Yep. Original S&W revolver grips are getting there, too. Back when I was first getting into handguns, folks would routinely take off the S&W grips and stick them in some drawer and forget about them (mostly later to be lost for good) in order to get a set of Pachmayrs, or some other kind of aftermarket grips, on the gun. Today, those grips in reasonable condition are going for hundreds of dollars.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep. Original S&W revolver grips are getting there, too. Back when I was first getting into handguns, folks would routinely take off the S&W grips and stick them in some drawer and forget about them (mostly later to be lost for good) in order to get a set of Pachmayrs, or some other kind of aftermarket grips, on the gun. Today, those grips in reasonable condition are going for hundreds of dollars.

e.g:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ds-up-for-s-w-revolver-fans#Post16023770

Click the link to the ad on the S&W forum.

Those N frame finger groove combats are getting way pricey. This guy is "only" asking $275. See them on ebay or elsewhere all the time for $325.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
If I were buying new and wanted just one Colt 1911, I'd pick a new series 70 Colt National Match Gold Cup. Excellent adjustable sights, no FPS, decent triggers (usually) out of the box. I'd have my bud Justin McMillan tune the trigger (4 lbs), add a snug bushing and I'd be happy. Colt is making probably the best 1911s ever now.
Bob

There's just nothing better out there than a Colt...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Jorge, my friend...............you've led a very sheltered life if you really & truly believe that.

While I like Colt's & have a couple (out of more than a dozen), including a mint '70 Series GC that I would never part with, but in the world of 1911's, the only thing special about a Colt is the name.

Pick up a nicely fitted Wilson, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, or even some high end SA's, etc., & feel the way that the slide moves as if it was on ball bearings & the way it goes into battery like safe door locking..............no Colt ever made, of any vintage has that same feel & lockup w/o a lot of TLC being put into it by a skilled craftsman.

So. no, in reality, there are lots of guns available today that are better than Colt.

Here's a couple of examples.......................One older, one newer.

MM

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Jorge, my friend...............you've led a very sheltered life if you really & truly believe that.

While I like Colt's & have a couple (out of more than a dozen), including a mint '70 Series GC that I would never part with, but in the world of 1911's, the only thing special about a Colt is the name.

Pick up a nicely fitted Wilson, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, or even some high end SA's, etc., & feel the way that the slide moves as if it was on ball bearings & the way it goes into battery like safe door locking..............no Colt ever made, of any vintage has that same feel & lockup w/o a lot of TLC being put into it by a skilled craftsman.

So. no, in reality, there are lots of guns available today that are better than Colt.

MM

Apples and oranges. The Nighthawks, Baers and Wilsons are hand-assembled, semi-customs. Nice guns. So is a hand-fitted, accurized Colt. I'll put any of my tuned Colts against the newer stuff, any day. A little rail lapping makes any semi auto glide along like it's on ball bearings. Standard-issue Colts tend to be somewhat looser, by design. Lots of rounds downrange helps, too.
Bob

Army-accurized 1911A1. Mucho-smooth and winner of dozens of matches

New Colt, 25 yd rapid fire. Box-stock

50 yds, 10 shots, machine rest

Last edited by RGK; 05/01/21.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

MM

Apples and oranges. The Nighthawks, Baers and Wilsons are hand-assembled, semi-customs. Nice guns. So is a hand-fitted, accurized Colt. Seems like I said that in my post; seen lots of nice worked over Colts, from numerous sources, but they didn't come that way. I'll put any of my tuned Colts against the newer stuff, any day. A little rail lapping makes any semi auto glide along like it's on ball bearings. Standard-issue Colts tend to be somewhat looser, by design. IMHO, reworking a gun never quite gives it the feel that doing it correctly from the git-go does, YMMV, & everything is not always about shooting tiny groups Lots of rounds downrange helps, too.
Bob

However, I will say that the best shooting gun I've ever owned, as far as accuracy goes, was a reworked Colt softball gun with a heavy slide & a 414 barrel...........it would shoot 3.2 gr of BE all day & group 10 shots into 1.5" from a Ransom with (no longer attainable) Win Super Match 185's.

But being "The Best" isn't just all about match or 50 yd accuracy either.

Self defense & EDC's don't need to be 1.5" 50 yard guns to be highly effective in that role & most are not; accuracy is always good, but past some point, it begins to be moot for non-match competitive guns. There are way more 1911 used for purposes other than match shooting that there are ones that are.

But Jorge's comment was that there's not a better 1911 out there than a Colt, which, today, is just not true.

But to each his own, as beauty is sometimes in the eye of the beholder.

MM

Last edited by MontanaMan; 05/01/21.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
There are a lot of 1911's out there that rattle, but shoot great.

I have a few Wilsons. I like my Colts better. My top three shooters are Colts.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.