Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
No, all Montana.

Same kind of Country, thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Great pics again, Jeff. Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We loved the book by Joe Back and we learned a lot from it. So on our trip from Atlanta to BC we decided to look him up. Now, this was back in the seventies, we found the town that he lived in but didn't know his address. We drove to the little town and stopped at a store and asked where Joe Back's house was. The guy in the store told us.
It was a Saturday evening about 6 pm and we just drove up to his house and knocked on the door. Joe lived way out in the country, maybe 10 miles outside of the town he had a lot of land I guess you would call it a ranch.

Joe was just finishing dinner and he wasn't real hospitable at first. He was about 75 years old, they were just finishing dinner, and he just about kicked us off the porch.
He said "What are you whippersnappers doing, barging in here at dinner time with no notice."

But, his wife saved the day. She came to the door, and she realized that these young guys from Georgia had gotten all inspired by her husband's book, and she invited us in.
She served us some coffee and Joe warmed up to our visit and we talked with them for several hours.
Joe was quite an artist and he had many of his drawings, framed in the house.

Joe was proud of us when we assured him that we had learned how to tie a diamond hitch from his book.
Joe emphasized that in his book, if you wanted to be a Mountain Man you had to learn to tie your own diamond.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I've been charged twice and the first time ended with a dead bear. Second time was a false charge and he turned and hauled ass just as I was starting to squeeze the trigger. There is no way I'd carry pepper spray. I carry a 45-70 loaded with 520 grain hard cast, gas checked Pile Drivers during fishing season. During hunting season I carry a .375 Ruger. Also carry a .454 Casull but I feel just as comfortable with a 12 gauge pump. The failure rate is too high with pepper spray, and besides, if you're going to spend time in the woods, you might as well be the king of the jungle. JMHO

Good advice, Doug. Coming from someone who has BTDT. Thank you.

Get tired of the speculators here sometimes.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Changing the topic to bear spray, I'll share the following story about it's effectiveness.

Once upon a time we had a cougar working the neighborhood regularly enough that it caused our neighbors enough concern they were considering purchasing a firearm to carry while they walked their ancient Golden Lab around the semi-rural area we call home. As they'd been traditionally anti-firearm of all sorts and had no clue how long it'd take them to legally acquire said arms up here in the so civilized north, I offered them a spare can of bear repellent.

This turned out to be fortuitous as one can only imagine what would've resulted if I'd loaned them say a 1911... eek

For reasons that were not clear to anyone relating the tale of woe after the fact, the safety tab was almost immediately discarded. Somehow in the narrow stairwell of their home, when the innocent senior citizen Lab and the neighbor's wife were descending said said stairwell, the can came out of her jacket pocket and as it bounced on each stair managed to go off directly into both the lady and the dog.

Perhaps now is the time to say neither occupant of the stairwell would have been considered a "small specimen", so then the gentle reader can better envision a large ancient Golden Lab attempting to run up the stairs to escape the demon mist which his formerly loving master was unleashing on him.

Honestly when she was telling me the story it was all I could do to keep it together. I will admit I absolutely could not when I relayed it to our family afterwards...... laugh

One daughter kept asking, "But Dad, why would she take the safety off, that doesn't make any sense?" laugh laugh laugh

Good stuff Dwayne......

I had a friend who was in a sporting goods store 15 or so years ago, when some random inexperienced people came in and were playing with the bear spray right next to him. This was before most (all?) bear spray canisters were in blister packs. Anyhow they were goofing around with it and (of course) got the safety tab off and sprayed my friend who was standing right next to them, right in the face.

He said it was HORRIBLE.

I laughed, at his expense.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I always carried both because not everything needs to be shot all the time.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

You wouldn't make a very good cop lol.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I've been charged twice and the first time ended with a dead bear. Second time was a false charge and he turned and hauled ass just as I was starting to squeeze the trigger. There is no way I'd carry pepper spray. I carry a 45-70 loaded with 520 grain hard cast, gas checked Pile Drivers during fishing season. During hunting season I carry a .375 Ruger. Also carry a .454 Casull but I feel just as comfortable with a 12 gauge pump. The failure rate is too high with pepper spray, and besides, if you're going to spend time in the woods, you might as well be the king of the jungle. JMHO

Good advice, Doug. Coming from someone who has BTDT. Thank you.

Get tired of the speculators here sometimes.

Thanks local_dirt. Yep, a lot of lower 48 speculators here who haven't experienced it first hand. I know what works for me. JMHO

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Elmer Keith
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you’re scared stay home. If you don’t have any common sense stay home. If you don’t have a big gun stay home. Sometimes sh*t just happens and the bear wins.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Texson2
If you’re scared stay home. If you don’t have any common sense stay home. If you don’t have a big gun stay home. Sometimes sh*t just happens and the bear wins.

I like it. Blunt and to the point. The lack of common sense seems to be the big problem around here. Too many want to not keep a clean camp, get schit faced and act like a bunch of damned idiots, go off by themselves, and how many people in this day and age can actually read sign? Recognize fresh bear sign for what it is, or the smell of a rotting carcass....etc. Yeah sometimes sh*t does just happen, but most of the incidents I hear about here sound like they could have been prevented if the person was a little better prepared or payed a little more attention to their surroundings.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by deflave

You wouldn't make a very good cop lol.

I believe cops usually have more than a firearm on their duty belt.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don’t know if I’m bloviating or not but I find the comments interesting.

George, I made that comment because of the usual repititions of the old, tired jokes about grizzly sh*t smelling like pepper spray, and the "nothing short of a 500 S&W" comments. Reasonable questions and discussion is never bloviating.

But as I read of these incidents and others’ experiences, it seems bear spray works “a lot of the times.”

Bear spray DOES work. Every wildlife biologist who's studied bear attacks in the past 30 years has shown this. Gary Shelton's extensive bear studies in B.C. show it, for example, and there are many others.

Herrero et al. published their 2008 paper on the efficacy of bear spray and firearms. Their study was a retrospective case analysis, and that methodology carries with it all the inherent sampling bias, etc. They showed 92% effectiveness for bear spray, and 67% for firearms. HOWEVER... they did not differentiate among types of "undesirable bear behavior". So bears raiding pic-a-nic baskets or tearing up garbage cans were included alongside grizzlies attacking elk hunters field dressing their kills. The level of aggression in these different types of encounters is vastly different, and necessarily affects outcomes. A garbage bear situation would, in my estimation, be a Condition Yellow or maybe Condition Orange situation, whereas a genuine charge is a Condition Black situation. A garbage bear can be driven off with a broom or a kick in the butt (as that idiot woman in New Jersey keeps posting YouTube videos of her doing to tame black bears in her suburban yard), and pepper spray is a great deterrent to non-aggressive bears like this. However, a grizzly that is intent on driving you away from the carrion food cache he's guarding is unlikely to be as impressed by a pink cloud of pepper spray, and may still kill you even if you've put several bullets into his chest. It will make little difference to you that he will die of his wounds in 3-4 hours, if you are already dead.

I have discussed my views with other bear enthusiasts and wildlife biologists, and most tend to agree on these broad concepts. From all the info I've gathered on my own from bear encounters over the years, I'd say bear spray is probably about as effective as firearms in the aggregate of all bear encounters, but probably less effective on the smaller subset of aggressive bear encounters, and the more aggressive the bear, the less effective spray may be.

Gary Shelton's books give numerous examples of effective and ineffective uses of spray, which supports these generalizations. Shelton also notes that bears that have been sprayed before tend to be less susceptible the second time they're sprayed, and that bears that are truly attacking (as opposed to charging to chase you off) are also less susceptible to spray.

And handguns have stopped charges and even killed big bears. Even little handguns have. But all of these also have been carried by people who have been mauled and were killed.

A lot of folks subscribe to the notion that handguns are not effective against bears. I used to be one of them. This notion has been argued against anecdotally for many years, and members here like JJHack and JSP45 have considerable experience killing bears with handguns, as have others.

In 2012 Smith et al. published a study in which they compiled, summarized, and reviewed 269 incidents of bear–human conflict involving firearms that occurred in Alaska during 1883–2009. They found no significant difference in success rates (i.e., success being when the bear was stopped in its aggressive behavior) associated with long guns (76%) vs handguns (84%).

In 2018 (and revised in 2020) Dean Weingarten published a compilation of bear attacks in Canada and the US defended against by handgun, and found that of 93 cases, handguns were used successfully 97% of the time. https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/up...ack-93-cases-97-effective/#axzz6ssdKskhA

In other words, carrying a handgun for bear attack defense is not a stupid idea. Oh, unless it's a .22... Weingarten gives several instances where a .22 was used and failed to stop the attack.

Familiarity may not always breed contempt, but even if it breeds a certain laxness among those in bear country by hunting or fishing alone, it seems to be the first handicap already accepted; maybe not for the pro’s mentioned but it would certainly be for me. Does having a partner help ones chances of survival in a charge? Would bear spray even if unholstered, and pointed right, stop the bear above? The emphasis is on “dependably, all the time.” For me the same would be true of a handgun though I could be persuaded to carry one.

Having a partner is a definite advantage. Studies show bears are less likely to attack larger parties of people (5 or more, IIRC) than smaller parties. Shelton describes several cases where one person armed with a firearm and the other using bear spray were able to successfully defend an attack that either one alone may not have survived. I have spent many, many days solo hiking, fishing, and hunting in Alberta and B.C., but given the increasing boldness of bears in recent years, I doubt that I would be as likely to do that in those places today. Having a partner along makes a lot of sense.

Above, I mentioned a tactical type pump 12-ga loaded with slugs — would the sling hang up on a pack or some other obstruction or could it be brought to engagement on time? For me, the scenario in question is not the most-of-the-time, almost casual, moderate range contact of an indifferent bear who turns away. But the all-in bear that is maybe the one in a hundred or even a thousand. No matter how small the number, we all know we will read of it again.

In Canada, I had no handgun option due to their laws, so outside of the national and provincial parks I carried a 12-gauge pump gun (Win Model 12), and yes, I loaded it with slugs. I felt a lot safer with that in heavily populated grizzly country like the Swan Hills and the Willmore Wilderness Area. I only used it once, put a warning shot at the bear's feet and he departed the vicinity immediately. So, yes, a slug gun isn't a bad option. But a handgun is a better one, in my view.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I have discussed my views with other bear enthusiasts and wildlife biologists, and most tend to agree on these broad concepts. From all the info I've gathered on my own from bear encounters over the years, I'd say bear spray is probably about as effective as firearms in the aggregate of all bear encounters, but probably less effective on the smaller subset of aggressive bear encounters, and the more aggressive the bear, the less effective spray may be.

This has been my contention as well Doc … I rarely miss an opportunity to query the Big Game Biologist, Local Guides, Landowners etc. when given the opportunity.

Recently, I read Shelton’s “Bear Attacks the Deadly Truth and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in factual, unbiased accounts of these incidents.

Here in the Peace region (and other areas) it was just announced the Grizzly population has doubled since 2005, many (meaning all I speak with) believe that happened well before 2021 and that the population could well have quadrupled. Without a season, these encounters can only increase … time will certainly tell.

For those wishing to hear how quickly things can go south I will include a recent (2015) Grizzly attack on two sheep hunters in northern BC ( a little long so start at the 1:02 mark if desired, yes I know their rifles weren't at the ready).

Last edited by Stricks; 04/23/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Shelton also notes that bears that have been sprayed before tend to be less susceptible the second time they're sprayed, and that bears that are truly attacking (as opposed to charging to chase you off) are also less susceptible to spray.

As I posted somewhere earlier I used bear spray on aggressive dogs eight times over about a ten year period. To add context to that, that was a period in my life when I would frequently walk my then two blue heelers on long walks through my West Side neighborhood.

Loose dogs were frequent, and it was my observation that the inbound dogs were targeting my dogs more than me. Almost all aggressive-acting dogs on the street could be bluffed off through body posture and shouting. I prob’ly walked those dogs more’n 1,500 times during that decade, had to resort to bear spray IIRC jus eight or nine times.

Most times I missed the dog, the geometry of the spray can causes you to shoot low, it seemed the sudden blast and prob’ly unfamiliar odor startled the dog.

The one time the spray DIDN’T work was on a big female Rottweiler that came up unseen from behind after my dog. My dog ran in two big ovals trying to get away and yet stay by me and on each close pass I caught that rott full in the face at close range, twice.

About that time the apologetic owner came out, called off and leashedher dog. As we stood there talking, the dog did rub its face in the grass, prob’ly because of the sheer volume I hit it with, otherwise it didn’t act particularly distressed.

All of this to point out it might be just the sudden blast that startles the bear, not so much the capsasin itself.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doc Roc, Sticks, and Birdw, all very interesting. Doc, special thanks for taking points and addressing them individually. Always informative.

Sorry, a pic of a pic here as it was ‘92 and pre-cell phone and it took effort to remember to take a pic. We watched grizzlies every day on this trip. It began when the outfitter flew over our tents, banked sharply to the right, and threw steaks out of the window of his Super Cub. But my eye was on a grizzly “standing” upright a hundred yards away, apparently, at least partly interested.

But the guide who placed his tent right next to ours had all the eggs, flour, and bacon and other goodies in it. His comment: “we’ve never had trouble yet.” 😊

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

While I’m at it, and again, I apologize for the pic. These pic’s are at least partially related to the topic at hand and this was taken in the Bob Marshal as we were leaving with two camps worth. The main camp was fully outfitted and had a grizzly tear into some horse feed in the tack tent one night and I heard that it resulted in all hands on deck and a general lack of peaceful sleep that night. They kept a dog in the camp as a general bear alarm and apparently he earned his keep even though he was a bit slow on the draw. Several bags were torn into and scattered about.

A friend and I were about three miles distant in a drop camp and we were in blacks every day to the tune of one to three sightings. They seemed very shy as we bumped several over the week. In the pic, on the ride out, we actually counted three more up on the hillsides above the tree line plainly out in the open.

Our outfitter was based in Choteau, Mt. and he told us they already had grizzlies spilling out of “the Bob” into the flat, private lands outside the wilderness..

I plainly missed a beautiful “beige” color phase black mostly behind a dead fall but with enough visible. And, yes, it was a black bear. It was a very beautiful fall and great trip.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anyway, if a sobering topic can be both interesting and entertaining, this one is for me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great pics George! A couple friends and I backpacked around the Chinese Wall there I believe in 1988. I carried my 270 on that trip along with a lot of other heavy stuff. It was a workout and a great trip. Didn't see much wildlife and only one other group of hikers.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by asheepdog
Bear Spray is for making the libtards feel taste good about themselves. It is useless much like they are.

Just my take ..
Lots of videos lately of humans shaking off tasers and pepper spray. Probably wise to assume that some bears are hungry/ornery enough to ignore a bit of pepper until their adrenalin level drops...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.