Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Most likely have enough for the rest of my days.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A little off subject but I came in late from hog shooting last night and bid $131 on Gunbroker for 500 (5 boxes) of Hornady .308 bullets in 150 grain Interlock. I got up late and found out I was outbid $5 and the sale was over, but the bullets were relisted despite there being no reserve on them. What's up with that?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Seller outbid you.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
Seller outbid you.Kent
You mean a seller can outbid you and then just relist without paying Gunbroker's commission? The seller and the bidder that beat me $5 did not have the same name and the bidder was rated A+. This stinks.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've been trading my powder stockpile for reloading services from my next door neighbor.

Similar here. The daughter of a friend is a stay at home mom and is just getting into hunting and shooting. She's constantly checking the local shops for ammo for herself and powder and primers for me. She's recently scored a couple thousand primers and a couple pounds of powder for me and I load ammo for her and her husband in trade.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by centershot
A local gun shop Red's Trading Post has some powder in stock. H4530 $69.99 / lb or $499.99 / 8lb keg. Varget is a little cheaper at 59.99 / lb and I think there was some 4064 at $49.99/lb. Is this where we are? or are they taking advantage of the situation.
Sportsman's warehouse gets about 5# per week and the same dozen old retired guys go buy it whether they need it or not. Other than that there really is nothing available in Southern Idaho.
I did not buy any, actually had some pretty serious sticker shock. I guess that puts me in the gouging camp, but after thinking about it a day I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for powder prices. I would hope that prices would settle back to maybe 20% over what it was before but it's going to take a while.

Red's is screwing folks that are stupid enough to pay those prices. A local store here got in around 100 lbs of Hodgdon powders last week. IIRC, most of it was priced at $31.99 or $32.99 per pound with a 2 lb limit per customer. Of course, it only lasted 1 day but the point is the price was 'normal', IMO.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supply and demand folks.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by krp
Seller outbid you.Kent
You mean a seller can outbid you and then just relist without paying Gunbroker's commission? The seller and the bidder that beat me $5 did not have the same name and the bidder was rated A+. This stinks.

Proxy accounts, common practice.

Kent

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I wish I could find 1 pound of H4831sc to get me thru hunting season this fall!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I’m not saying that you did.

I’m saying it is not going to end. You have four years of this minimum.

So yeah, there’s more than one reason I golf like a banshee.

You scream really loud on the links?

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid $42 per pound for H4350 and H4831SC at a local store in the past couple weeks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last week at Scheel’s Kansas City bought VV N560 for $42/lb and IMR 4451 for $32/lb. 2 can limit.

Week before they had jugs of N570 for $300

He went over yonder way
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I don't think 70 bucks a pound for h4350 is the new norm. If you pay that much it's the new norm for you.

Patience grasshopper.

Well said. I bought 2 canisters of pistol powder a couple weeks back. They also had some H335 and Varget. The powders they had were only $5 more than pre election prices. I like these people. Been doing business with them since 2005. Will continue.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good deal you pay your money

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A local gun shop Red's Trading Post has some powder in stock. H4530 $69.99 / lb or $499.99 / 8lb keg. Varget is a little cheaper at 59.99 / lb and I think there was some 4064 at $49.99/lb. Is this where we are? or are they taking advantage of the situation.

Sportsman's warehouse gets about 5# per week and the same dozen old retired guys go buy it whether they need it or not. Other than that there really is nothing available in Southern Idaho.

I did not buy any, actually had some pretty serious sticker shock. I guess that puts me in the gouging camp, but after thinking about it a day I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for powder prices. I would hope that prices would settle back to maybe 20% over what it was before but it's going to take a while.

I would not personally pay $60 per pound for Varget. However, a quick check of Gun Broker completed auctions for Varget. 26 pages ranked by number of bids highest to lowest. At the 10 page mark, Individual 1 lb containers of Varget are still well OVER $100 per pound total delivered cost. So, while I would not pay $60 per pound for Varget, there are apparently hundreds of reloaders who would think $60 a pound to be a bargain... Crazy world we live in...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I don’t wanna sound like an ass hole, but we’re all you people born between November 2016 and November 2020?

Because this has all happened before. The only thing that stopped it was Trump’s winning. Remember?

So do the math. It’s not stopping until the Potato Head is out.

It is not going to improve.

Didn't say I bought any........ I have enough stockpile to get me through this year and maybe next - but not shooting as much as I would like to. Eventually I am going to run out and then I'll have to pay the price or take up golf.......and I hate golf.

I don't hate golf. It's the golfers I hate.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
centershot: Gouging there - I bought several pounds of powder at my LGS and paid $41.00 a pound for three pounds of Varget and then $32.00 a pound for both CFE-BLK and H-322 (no sales tax in Montana). This was about 15 days ago.
That powder was for my needy friends and Hunting partners - except for the CFE-BLK which I want to try in my 17 Hornet.
They got in about 200 pounds of powder in that shipment and they have only 10 or 12 pounds left.
And this - is there a powder designated "H-4530" - if so I am not familiar with it - maybe it is worth $61.99 a pound?
I do know that Varget powder is HIGHLY sought after nowadays - but those prices (at your LGS) are gouging.
If it were me I would ride out the storm (if it ever ends!) and once components become available (again IF they ever do!) I would tell that LGS owner, politely, to pound sand up his ass!
You should see the list of components and ammunition (and guns!) that I have in my wallet of and for my friends "needs".
Last night at the local NRA Banquet a carton of small Rifle primers (1,000 primers) sold for $1,000.00 (one thousand dollars!)!
If my figgerin is right that is $1.00 per primer (that money went for a good cause though?).
Thankfully I long ago learned of the perils of not having plenty of components/ammunition on hand - I have lifetime supplies of everything and have had it on hand for several years.
Best of luck to you in your search/quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hard to believe that the same old retired guys are buying all the available powder.

It's hard to believe because it's not true ... it's a lie.

Last edited by SCRooster; 04/25/21.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just sitting here wondering why you felt the need to try to marginalize a specific group with an unsubstantiated claim like that?

If you had just put "white" in front of "guys" you'd fall right into the same category I put the MSM and BLM and woke SJWs in these days ... the assclown group.

So you're a boomer hater huh? Obviously.

And, IF, "the same old dozen old retired white guys" (and we know they are white because you live in Southern Idaho) ARE actually buying it ... you certainly have no way of knowing "whether they need it or not" ... now do you?

So I just find the entire claim somewhat unsettling.

FWIW I've recently spoken with a couple of friends, today as a matter of fact, a couple of fellow old retired white guys I served with at Bragg who now live in Idaho ... neither of them mentioned price gouging per se. They did confirm higher prices but, as with me and with most old retired white guys, we planned and prepped for ages, decades even, and, to the best of my knowledge we are some of the least panic impulse buyers in this country. Typically it is our group, our generation, that were raised by preppers, raised by parents who lived-through World Wars, the Great Depression, etc., who taught us to always prepare and even stockpile.

So I do believe you embellished. That, or you misspoke or painted an imaginary picture for us to digest ... shame on you.

Furthermore, let's say there are actually "a dozen old retired white guys," that you are aware of and that you can substantiate as actually existing and gobbling-up all the available overpriced reloading components in your area ... let's say they actually exist and you've observed and identified this group of impulse panic buying nefarious old white retirees in your area where, obviously, all the hateful uncaring hoarding selfish greedy reloading old white men live ... then I say more power to my retired brothers. Let'em spend their social security money and retirement dividend checks wherever the hell and on whatever the hell they wanna spend them on.

Signed,

Old Retired White Guy who reloads but who has more in my reloading room right now than Midway and Powder Valley combined apparently. And I'll take pictures to prove it if necessary because I am an old white guy who doesn't talk [bleep].

PS: My friends live in Ketchum and Horseshoe Bend ... either near you by chance? I wanted to warn them that there is some young wet behind the ears jealous brat kid out there spying on them and posting funny things about them, just incase. Because I laughed at your descriptors.

PSS: The answer to your question is, yes, this is the new norm for awhile but the level of gouging in your area seems to be extreme, if it is to be believed. Us old white guys have prepared since back in 2008-2012 the last major time we saw this happen ... and again just before the 2016 election when everyone thought Killary was going to be elected. So we're sitting here waiting for it to all blow over and then we'll resupply. Until then ... we'll either die away, die in a fight when someone comes to mass confiscate our guns illegally and unconstitutionally or we'll hand it down to our Sons and Grandsons.

PSSS: Oh, I see, you live in Twin Falls. Perhaps it was some old retired white guys who just moved there from Kalifornia and they have more money than they know what to do with and they're just-now getting into reloading
and they're desperately trying to catch-up now that they're the hell out of Kommunist Kalifornia? Yeah, I'll bet that's what this is all about. Unless you know and recognized the same dozen old retired white guys that deserved your ire?

Regards

Last edited by SCRooster; 04/25/21.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
SCRooster, Despite jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, your comments are spot on indicating you know how to do a PLF.

As for the whining puke, I rather doubt he has ever worn the uni or stood in the face of danger.

Being too [bleep] dumb to stock up in times of plenty marks him as one of the first to expire when the SHTF.

The USA could lose 200 million and not notice it. (See population when greatest generation ran the place). That would solve many shortages and other problems.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.