Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use several products, but when sizing larger quantiles of brass, a sprahttps://www.dillonprecision.com/case-lube-8-oz-bottle_8_8_23666.htmly on lube sure makes the job quick. Dillon makes an excellent spray product, and for those that do not to make their own lubes, the Dillon is the way to go.

I also use Lee Sizing wax that comes in a Tooth paste tube, cut it 50/50 with water in the microwave(do not let it boil). Lee Wax will not contaminate the powder.

Imperial is at every press that I own for small quantities, Petroleum based..

For making a great spray on concoction, it is simple and easy...the stuff is just perfect in how it sprays on and makes tough small base sizing an easy effort along with large magnum cases.

Recipe:

Home Health Lanolin, pure Emollient Oil
ISO Heat

Mix one ounce of Lanolin to 8 oz of Heat. I put a few large caliber bullets, ball bearings, nuts, in the bottle to help the concoction mix when shaking...makes it easier.

This mix works so well, that I will be trying it on the next rifle I bed.

On another note, I used the Lee Wax cut 50/50 on bullet jackets when I was making benchrest bullets.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And you saved how much money?

Hard to say, I was low on one shot and would have to drive 100 miles round trip to get some, or more likely find the store was out of it. I use One shot as the final treatment for stock bedding so wanted to reserve what I had for this use. Imperial is a bargain and the only reason I have purchased any in the last couple of years was when I misplaced the can. I have not used an entire can in over fifty years of reloading, multiple partial cans though.

The lanolin I was going to buy anyway, it is ideal for treating wool clothes to improve the texture and water resistance, the spray works a lot easier than trying to hand wash it on. The home brew with motor mica works great as an anti siege treatment for choke tubes. If I can't find the copper type then the home brew is a good alternative. I have had two choke tubes siege on me and they were no fun to remove. I have not shot the home made stuff enough to see how long it lasts. But after shooting very many magnum loads, especially steel, I pull the tubes more often to check them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colodog
Liquid lanolin and a bottle of Isoheat in the red bottle. Spray on, give the brass a shake and let the alcohol evaporate.
It's very effective.

Same here for the past 5-6 years except I used 90% rubbing alcohol. A small spay bottle to mist over the brass, shake them around and give it about 10 minutes and start sizing, a little goes a long ways and I've not even come close to a stuck case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Or, you could just spend the couple of bucks for case lube and get on with your life.

^ ^ ^ ^ this

Get a tin of Imperial Size Wax, and used properly
it'll last forever plus 4 days.
But after that you'll have to spend another whole
5 or 6 dollars, or whatever it costs now
yep

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I always find it amazing how many folks take shots at people who want to make something themselves. It is not always about money, I have plenty of One Shot in stock and some tubs of Hornady's version of Imperial that works good, BUT, with the new normal of shortages of everything related to shooting and reloading, we all ought to be looking at viable alternatives for normally available products. Just think, if Ol'Joe has his way, we may all be looking to make our own powder and primers!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't make my own to save money, I make it to save my time spent on lubing/resizing cases.

Any lube requiring using your hands/fingers and has to be done one case at a time takes forever. And while I've never used it, I've heard Hornady One Shot has resulted in stuck cases for many people.

Lanolin is a pain because you generally have to heat it a bit to pour it and in time it separates from alcohol. It can also be hard to find.

I mix 1 can of Iso Heat(red bottle, 99% alcohol, 12 ounces) with 2 ounces of Castor Oil in a spray bottle. Castor Oil doesn't separate from the alcohol even over time and is slick as hell. It's also very very thin, so no dented cases from overspraying.

I lay my cases on a large cookie sheet all facing the same way and spray at an angle that allows a little to get in the case mouth too. Roll them over halfway and spray the other side lightly.
Takes all of about 1 minute to lay 100-150 cases out in the cookie sheet and spray.
Let sit for 15 minutes while you have a cup of coffee to let the alcohol evaporate, then size away. Best I've seen and you'll never get a stuck case.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Wink, I never heard of castor oil, I will have to remember that one. I have been using the Hornady One Shot since it came out and I reload a bunch. The problems I have seen are that people won't shake the can long enough, won't give it 1-2 minutes to let the carrier evaporate, and last, they walk away from it for too long, my experience is use it when you are going to resize, not the night before. The main thing I like about it is they claim it will not affect powder or primers.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by lee440
Wink, I never heard of castor oil, I will have to remember that one. I have been using the Hornady One Shot since it came out and I reload a bunch. The problems I have seen are that people won't shake the can long enough, won't give it 1-2 minutes to let the carrier evaporate, and last, they walk away from it for too long, my experience is use it when you are going to resize, not the night before. The main thing I like about it is they claim it will not affect powder or primers.

I can't take credit for it, but I can tell you it works.
I picked it up from this guy on Youtube, he's a pretty sharp dude.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,411
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.