Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have had to relocate a number of feral felines as of late. Used the Hav-a-hart trap and called animal control. However, we have an old tom that won't go in the trap and he seems to dine exclusively on quail and rabbit. We feed him at the barn in an effort to quell his effect on the game population. Two cans of Nine Lives a day and still he kills quail. And on occasion fails to eat what he has caught. Something needs to be done. Would you put "fluffy" down if he/she had a taste for wildlife? Best, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'm not a "cat hater", but I hate to see domestic cats in the wild. You are witnessing the effects that a single, well-fed cat has on your local wildlife. You know what those "relocated feral felines" are up to. The only difference is, they're hungrier, and they are killing off someone else's game instead of your own. If you don't have the heart to kill them, you should pen them up and take good care of them, or call the humane society for possible assistance, though I'm told that feral cats aren't known for favorably impressing people looking to adopt a cat from an animal shelter. I hope you're not relocating these animals to public hunting grounds. This is not meant as a flame, at all. In fact, while I'm spouting off, I'd also like to say it's nice to see a hunter who shows some compassion and respect for animals, regardless of their popularity or social status. We're all here for some reason, and I wouldn't pretend to understand it all. Just my $.02, ... L.C.<p>[This message has been edited by Loud Cloud (edited March 14, 2001).]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Loud Cloud<BR> The "relocated feral felines" were turned over to animal control. I was told that they were too wild to be safely domesticated and hence would be put down. I would NOT trap the cat only to make him someone else's problem. I have no problem killing a feral cat, I actually have a problem with an old feral tom that was "domesticated" through feeding on the farm. Its somewhat hard to shoot something you've taken the time to pet, feed, and talk to for years. On the other hand he continues to be a walking disaster to the local quail population. I've tried bells and numerous enclosures to no avail. I suppose I know the answer to the question. Does'nt make it any easier. Matt. <P>

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Matt, I'm not sure how true it is (I haven't called the local humane society - we is to rural for animal control) but on another board (for dogs) the method of euthanising the excess dogs was posted - put in chamber, vaccum drawn for XX time.<P>I'm not one for wanton distruction of animals, but before I sent a feral dog/cat to the vaccum I'd spend the $$ for a 22lr or 223 which ever was handy.<P>------------------<BR>ABM!

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
They probably cause as much or more damage to wildlife than feral dogs do.<P>I have no problem shooting either one on our farm.<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>

<A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hey Matt,<BR> Get on the varmint hunters train, a feral cat is just another varmint. I put one of those anoying Toms down just last week. Get out your favorite .22 and put that thing out of every ones misery, including the quail!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Matt,<BR>I know how you feel. Now, this probably won't work, but if you set out some owl decoys on posts around the farm, you might keep the quail out of the cat's "reach". Or, (another last ditch effort) if you can catch him, have him de-clawed. In either case try to keep him very well fed. I realize both plans kind of suck, but they're all I've been able to come up with. L.C.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen, <BR> I greatly appreciate your input. The problem has been solved. Best, Matt in Virginia.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I sure don't like the sounds of that matt . [Linked Image]<BR>It sounds to me like you got the peer pressure treatment , and shot that cat , or had him "put to sleep" (they make it sound so nice) .<P>Now you say that you have "taken the time to pet , feed , and talk to" him , but yet you can't get him in the trap . My question is if you can pet him why do you need a trap ?<P>Next if I had taken the time to feed , pet , and talk to a cat for more than a year I sure as hell would not say "well old buddy I hate to say it , but you gotta go . It's ok for me to shoot quails , and rabbits , but you have no right" .<P>The way I see it that old tom cat liked to hunt as much as you do . Maybe you should have just set him down with the local DNR officer , and explained the hunting seasons too him , and if the cat wanted to hunt year round you could take him coyote hunting with you . "if your hunting buddies ask , he's just bait" [Linked Image]<P>Sorry , but I love cats , so I just can't get into shooting them . Who ever said that cats are just another varmint better think twice before his dog get lose the next time . Some redneck with a gun just may say "hAy that thar Doggi iz justen enother varemit" <P>"I know , I know .... I sound like some kind of liberal anti here , and I hate my self for it , but damn it I like cat"<P>Regards: <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:<BR><B>Gentlemen, <BR> I greatly appreciate your input. The problem has been solved. Best, Matt in Virginia.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>[<p>[This message has been edited by treeratkiller (edited March 15, 2001).]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This topic is too contentious to discuss on an open forum. I have been told by numerous old timers that shoot, shovel, and shut up is the best policy. Would have to agree. Matt.

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
your right Matt .<BR>I have gotten into I don't know how many fights "with words of corse" over this same subject with every one from my dad "a true cat hater" to some guys over one shooters.com .<P>The way I see it is: Do what ever you feel is right on you own time . Don't tell me about it , and there will be no problem <BR>"ie: shoot , shovel ,and shut up" .<P>I guess it's all comes down to that simple question . "Do you have the heart" .<P>Regards: treeratkiller<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:<BR><B> This topic is too contentious to discuss on an open forum. I have been told by numerous old timers that shoot, shovel, and shut up is the best policy. Would have to agree. Matt.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by treeratkiller (edited March 16, 2001).]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Treeratkiller,<P> Just couldn't hold it. If my dog get's loose and some Redneck shoots it while it's on his property or public property, Good for him!!! I would not hesitate to do the same thing! Domesticated animals will kill for the sport of killing and let the animal go to waste. Why don't to talk to some sheep or cattle ranchers about the problem with ferrel domestic dogs? I'm sure you would get an earfull of fist hand accounts of wild and domestic dogs running in packs slaughtering game animals and farm animals with no atempt made to eat the animals that were killed.<P> Don't mean to offend you! it's just how i feel.<P> Regaurds, Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul, a friend of mine lives in your area. His name is Rich Dudas he and his girlfriend are putting out the Kenai Trading Post. If you know him or see him tell him Sean in Vermont says hi. Thanks Sean<P>------------------<BR>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lone Eagle,<P> I'll Let him know if i meet him. I'm Being transfered this spring so, no gaurantees.<P> Have a great day,<P> Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't matter if the cat is feral or not, any cat with access to birds or the wild will kill and do it just for the practice. A study at the Univ of Penn ( I think, been a while since I read it) showed that cats with access to any wild area to hunt in would kill between 3 and 10 birds A DAY!!<P>They should be shot on sight unless they are on a porch or in someone's arms.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In rural northern PA, where we do most of our varmint hunting, any cats observed in the wild, miles from the nearest farm, are considered dead cats. Once shot a large feral tom, at my Uncle's request, that had killed several of his farm cats. If this rascal had been tamed and fattened, he'd have weighed 30lbs. Biggest framed cat I've ever seen. People that drop off boxes of kittins and unwanted dogs on back roads, should have their ranks thinned too.<BR>I have witnessed the havoc that packs of unwanted dogs can create, both on livestock and game.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dubePA:<BR><B>People that drop off boxes of kittins and unwanted dogs on back roads, should have their ranks thinned too.<BR>I have witnessed the havoc that packs of unwanted dogs can create, both on livestock and game. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I say preach it brother! You left out people, feral dogs are a danger to people they don't have much if any fear of people.<P>Growing up we kept at least 1 long gun in every farm truck and tractor. The adults usually had a pistol. One of my friends spent a weeks vacation at his parents house killing a pack of dogs that tried to corner his mother (in her early 60s at the time) in her garden. Her screaming and the family dog got her husband with a shotgun. His shooting in the air (couldn't risk hitting her) scared them off. She now heads to the garden with a 357mag in a belt holster just in case. I keep a 44mag carbine just for dogs.<BR>

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Paul- I'm sure that domestic , and or feral dog do make problems for sheep , and cattle ranchers , but they do not , or better said have not been a problem around my area .<P>I lived on a farm for more than 10 years , and we never once had any problems with any dogs "besides we would treat em' to nice , and they never wanted to go home" . The cats would kill birds , and mice , and maybe a rabbit now and then , but they always seemed to eat them .<P>I really think that it needless to kill any domestic animal or any animal for that matter without GOOD reason . (them just being on your property , or public property dose not qualify as a good reason in my book)<P>If you think it's ok for some @$$ hole to shoot your dog when it gets away that's fine , but if my dog gets too far ahead of me when I'm rabbit hunting , and the same @$$ hole shoots my dog he will be getting a shotgun butt to the head , and a swift boot to the mouth . "sorry if this idea offends any one" . Maybe this is just what I think I would do , as the problem has never came up .<P>Just remember before you shot that dog or cat that , that could be someone's best friend you just about put a hole in !<BR>Also remember that some dog or cat owner may inflict personal harm on you , if you kill there animal , and they find out about it .<P>PS- didn't mean to flame any one , if I did so I'm vary sorry .<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P><BR> <P>

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Paul- I'm sure that domestic , and or feral dog do make problems for sheep , and cattle ranchers , but they do not , or better said have not been a problem around my area .<P>I lived on a farm for more than 10 years , and we never once had any problems with any dogs "besides we would treat em' to nice , and they never wanted to go home" . The cats would kill birds , and mice , and maybe a rabbit now and then , but they always seemed to eat them .<P>I really think that it needless to kill any domestic animal or any animal for that matter without GOOD reason . (them just being on your property , or public property dose not qualify as a good reason in my book)<P>If you think it's ok for some @$$ hole to shoot your dog when it gets away that's fine , but if my dog gets too far ahead of me when I'm rabbit hunting , and the same @$$ hole shoots my dog he will be getting a shotgun butt to the head , and a swift boot to the mouth . "sorry if this idea offends any one" . Maybe this is just what I think I would do , as the problem has never came up .<P>Just remember before you shot that dog or cat that , that could be someone's best friend you just about put a hole in !<BR>Also remember that some dog or cat owner may inflict personal harm on you , if you kill there animal , and they find out about it .<P>PS- didn't mean to flame any one , if I did so I'm vary sorry .<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P><BR> <P>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thousands of someone's best friends are euthanized each day. <P>Moral of that story: if you can't keep them under control, bad things can and will happen to them.<P>The idea that cats in the wild should not be shot is, how can I diplomatically put this, ummm, stupid. It is valuing a domestic animal over the multiple native species that it is killing. There are probably too many cats around, I cannot say the same for bluebirds, cardinals, orioles, quail, etc.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,780
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.