Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am amazed at the number of posts on this site (among others) that ask for legal or medical advice, instead of contacting an attorney or doctor. Opinions on those topics vary as widely and as uninformedly here as those concerning which cartridge for dangerous game.

That is all.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those work too. But with humans you have to shove that up your ass and keep it there for at least week in order to draw the metal through your intestines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am amazed at the number of posts on this site (among others) that ask for legal or medical advice, instead of contacting a lawyer or doctor. Opinions on those topics vary as widely and as uninformedly here as those concerning which cartridge for dangerous game. That is all.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
With 63,000 members, it’s a high probability several have had the same issue.
word

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Taking all at face value, I remembered this case for its possible apparent similarity:

A young women came to the surgeon via her family doc complaining of vague abdominal pain for some time (I don’t remember the length of time). X-rays were read as negative. I can’t recall if an MRI was done but all physical exams and a barium enema, etc were also read as negative.

Finally, at a loss as to the problem the surgeon decided to do a diagnostic laparoscopy — putting small instruments into her abdomen via a couple small wounds after the abdomen is inflated to give room to work, one a camera and another to manipulate soft tissues allowing visualization. Yes, this is a surgical procedure.

After “running” the small bowel, a small area of inflammation was noted on the distal bowel. A close-up view showed a very small bone had penetrated the bowel incompletely, sticking out about a centimeter and a half. It was removed. Had nothing been done what would have happened? Hard to say, from getting worse and abscess to the small bone being walled off by an inflammatory process. Neither are a comforting resolution.

Post-op, the patient remembered eating fresh fish with rib bones in the meat a week or so earlier.

Steel bristles I know are stiff, non-bending and sharp and will doubtfully make all the small bowel turns easily. If you believe you did swallow steel bristles, you are a step ahead of this lady. I would make preparations to get in to a doc to explain the situation and get direction. Steel bristles should show up on x-rays or other tests and confirm their position to be followed up and at least be watched. It could prevent an emergent situation. If nothing shows, you may not have swallowed anything and be relieved.

George, all due respect and all, but people swallow all kinds of scheit all the time. It almost always passes through without a problem. I probably see a dozen such cases annually. They come in because they're sure they swallowed something (or their kid did) but almost never with symptoms other than a scratched throat, if that.

I get xrays done if they come into the ER, which has some value if it's a metallic FB. Otherwise you won't see anything. I invariably send 'em home and tell 'em to follow up with a surgeon if they develop symptoms like abdominal pain or rectal bleeding over the next few days. They almost never do. So they get to pay the hospital a whopping $1000+ ER charge for advice to come back or see a surgeon if they develop those symptoms.

Oh, certainly, I recognize that mine was one incident out of the 20k cases I’ve done. The kind you always remember because it’s the rare and unusual; never saw anything similar. And that as an ER doc you’ve daily seen people who’ve shown the culinary discretion of a Wolverine, intentional or not.

But when I thought of the steel bristles of my grill brushes I remembered that small but sharp fish bone..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by akasparky
Where is Slumlord when ya need him, gawd knows he'd have a elixir
just for this ailment!

Slumlord has excellent insurance and would be at the Endo’s office/ER in 45 mins.

Had a couple of endo scopes down the esophagus before. No big deal and you get to have fentanyl. I love that stuff.

👍

Here I figured you'd chime in with :

"Put you a mustard poultice on it an drink some sassafras tea. Pickin' up an swingin' a viper never hurt nothin neither"

Nana says “eat some hush puppies” that’ll push the bones and nails out.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
I am amazed at the number of posts on this site (among others) that ask for legal or medical advice, instead of contacting a lawyer or doctor. Opinions on those topics vary as widely and as uninformedly here as those concerning which cartridge for dangerous game. That is all.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
With 63,000 members, it’s a high probability several have had the same issue.
word

Hell I didn't even see that other post, which is similar to mine.

I guess I went through this thread too quickly without reading everything.

Oh well. Beer is a good thing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Happy schidting

A nice, big healthy poo with no blood or pus in it is a beautiful experience that should not be taken for granted.

Don't forget the bonus is the clean patch.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am amazed at the number of posts on this site (among others) that ask for legal or medical advice, instead of contacting an attorney or doctor. Opinions on those topics vary as widely and as uninformedly here as those concerning which cartridge for dangerous game.

That is all.

I've learned over nearly 20 years that the Campfire actually has enough people with the right experience that you get pretty good advice from the been-there-done-that folks. My first reaction was to assume that if it got past the esophagus, I was pretty much in the clear. If I'd left Saturday PM and gone to the ER, there really wasn't anything they could do except sit and wait for something bad to happen. After 4 hours, it was probably past the duodenum and into the small intestine. The reason I contacted the Campfire was I was double-checking to see if anyone had any dread experience.

As it is, from the volume and instances, I can fairly safely guess that anything that might have been in there has departed safely via the Southern portal.

While there are a large number of really mean-spirited folks on here that find a way to spew venom at every opportunity, I will say that the overall level of advice on here is top-notch. Of the former group, it is pretty easy to spot them. They're like a cow that's been feasting on green apples. They just can't help it.

My mother was possessed with a fabulous memory for this sort of thing. I'm not quite sure where she picked it all up, but it was probably from the Welsh farmers on her Dad's side. My guess is she picked it up in kitchen talk among the old women when she went visiting. You give her a situation, and she could recall a similar situation from generations back and quickly spout cause, symptoms, treatment and outcome. Most of it was before doctors or modern disease theory was a thing. It wasn't folk medicine per se- However it did include a bunch of things you don't normally find at the drug store anymore. She's still alive, but most of that knowledge is now gone, except what I've retained. In years past, I would have turned to her.

On this august forum, what y'all lack in depth, you more than make up for in breadth.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, glad you are apparently well and didn’t have to cancel a Turkey hunt. 😀

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a friend that swallowed a toothpick without knowing. He was in his recliner and fell asleep, yes after drinking. I think it took 2 or more days. It was fairly serious and required surgery. Seems like it showed up in the intestine at some point.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I still recommend the Vietnamese enema. Any nail shop can do one if you go in and ask.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well Dang,.. I reckon all turned out ok for you, damned if I didn’t just do the same thing eating a reheated rib that I cooked yesterday. Bit down on a stainless wire about 5/8 of an inch long. We used the brush right before the meat was thrown on. I’m gonna be looking a lot closer from now on.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I smoked 3 butts yesterday. I still use a heavy steel bristle to clean with.

I throw my grates down in the gravel afterward to finish knocking anything off and do a double eyeball exam.

The thing I have watch out for, there were several bristles that went into the bottom ash pan of my smoker.*IF* I was to go dump that into a ditch, (charcoal and ash) my mutts would go pilfer through it and they’ve been known to eat those chunks of hardwood coal, because of the drippings and sauces.

So I thought of Ol Shaman yesterday and scooped all that mess out and it went into a trash bag for otto the gobbitch man

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Shaman last seen Apr 30.

Hope he aint in a hospital with a bleeding bunghole issue.

Best wishes Shaman.
Get well soon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ive never heard of such dumbassery

LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by slumlord

The shaman woman might object lol

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (204guy, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,610
Posts18,532,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.