Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Brian with the catch of the trip.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful blackfin! Beats my biggest by a mile.

Brian's good people. I've fished with him and Roger off the CC coast for snapper.

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/26/21.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Did gophergunner show up?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
That looks like a lot of fun.

The fishing part, not the drive.

Would you use the charter again or were you not real impressed overall? You mentioned the boat wasn't what you'd anticipated.

It was, and yes I would, and will. The guy who was running the show really knows his stuff. Problem was that his regular ride is his partner's 35' Cat, the same one he was running down to Islamorada from Ft. Lauderdale the day of our trip. I got a text just as we arrived at the house showing one of two counter-rotating props on one of the boat's 350s GONE. He'd stopped to try to pick up a couple golden tilefish on some numbers and all of a sudden heard a loud whistling noise. Somehow the back prop had sheared off the shaft and went to the bottom. As such, the rig I booked him to run us out on was now going to limp down to the Keys and head for the shop. He said that he'd try to find someone to lend him another boat, as finding parts and last minute mechanic is something of a trick . Problem was that everybody was booked to fish.

He managed to talk to a buddy who had a cancellation and thus, us heading out on the 38' Luhrs. I have never, and I mean never been on a rig of such a size that rode so horribly. We were in seas less than two feet and I swear it seemed like we were in 6'-8's. STX actually got quite seasick out on that tub, something I've never seen in dozens of trips with him, many in fairly rough seas. I was shocked at just now badly that thing rode. Also, the Luhrs is *slow*, and the 30+ miles to the sword grounds in the Cat would've taken an hour. With the Luhrs it took 2.5 hours plus. Then of course we lost an engine on the Luhrs coming BACK. What are the odds? It threw a hose and there was coolant everywhere. We were all like, 'JFC, what's next, we spring a major leak in the fuggin' hull and there are no PFDs aboard?'

The guy and his mate worked their asses off trying to get us tight. This kind of fishing is seriously labor jntensive. You have to watch the rod 100% of the time, and adjust constantly due to changing depth. You have to stay on the numbers and run the boat continuously. It is NOT an exercise in just dropping to bottom, cracking a cold beer and putting your feet up as you bob around. The gear used is highly specialized and the proper baits and presentations are also key. Experience in detecting a bite is also so. Swords do not mash baits like tuna. Bites can be almost imperceptible. They will use their bills to poke at or whack the bait before coming back to eat, and being able to recognize the difference is important. You don't want to be hauling up when you should be dropping down, don'tcha' know.

Anyway, there's more but I've gone on enough. I know how much I bore people here going on endlessly... wink

LD: I know how it goes dude, but thanks. We struck out with swords and had some crap luck with boats and no bite. The day we were out there were about 20 other boats chasing swords, including the famed Nick Stanz. Of all the guys out there, only a single sword pup was hooked. We still managed a few fish--that were all damned delicious, BTW-- and we had a good time amongst friends. And that's more than half of the point anyway, in my book.

KG, For me, that's most of it these days, brother. I've killed enough fish.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fess up k_g,

how much of them little tunas did you eat "au naturel"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey that was quite the adventure. Thanks for letting the rest of us come along. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Brian's good people. I've fished with him and Roger off the CC coast for snapper.

Hey brother J. Good to hear from you. Not sure if you're funnin' or not, but A., that fish pictured is a replica outside a diner we ate at. B., that's a yellowfin, not a blackfin. C., the world record blackfin is like 47 lbs. and change and a YF the size of that replica would be in the 275-325 lb. range. wink Just heard from the lads. They're outside P-cola and fighting to stay awake. I strongly suggested they get a room and hit the road in the morning but I'm sure they won't. Just want them to make it home safely.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
KG, you want the really big Swords, you'll have to run out past the Grand Banks to the Flemmish Cap. Just make sure your ice maker is working. wink

Sounds like a great trip. Beautiful pics as always. That Blackfin is something to behold.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Cool post. Great Pics. Thanks for sharing.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
KG, you want the really big Swords, you'll have to run out past the Grand Banks to the Flemmish Cap. Just make sure your ice maker is working. wink

Sounds like a great trip. Beautiful pics as always. That Blackfin is something to behold.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Cool post. Great Pics. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks and appreciate the words, Mr. H.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
'Hey brother, how did you cats make out on your sword hunt?' 'The trip was kind of a dumpster fire, but we had fun. Highlight was landing a fuggin' beast of a yellowfin, and dig this-- it was already taxidermied and had damn near a foot of rebar sticking out of its gob! Weird, right?' smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Urgent prayers request! Just had a call from ole Catfish Hunter. Sounded pretty thoroughly smashed. Me: "You boys OK, homey?" "Oh yeah we're good. Almost at the Texas border, making pretty good time" ME: "Right on. Listen, I don't want you to fall asleep at the wheel or anything. Promise me you'll pull over if either of you starts nodding off, OK? Who's driving right now?" STX: "Brian is" ME:"OK, cool. Ask Brian if he's good to be driving for me" STX: "OK. Hey Brian, you OK to be still driving L wants to know...Oh, I guess he's asleep actually..." ME: "WHAT!?!" STX: "It's OK, we're pulled over here on the side of the highway" ME: "Wait, WTF? Never mind. I'm praying for you boys or whatever. Call me from county tomorrow. I'm good for bail if you need it" STX: "Appreciate that buddy" ME: "Our father, who art in Heaven, please look out for this pair of wayward Texan madmen..." You can't make this stuff up!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When they took off yesterday I was thinking of offering Roger my guest house on Crystal River so they could layover and break up the trip.
I figured he'd turn me down being it's only 500 miles into their trip home, then I ended up with company all day and and never gotta around to it anyway.

It's a good sign they are taking breaks, they'll be fine.

But they'll be burned out for a couple days after getting home.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JeffA
When they took off yesterday I was thinking of offering Roger my guest house on Crystal River so they could layover and break up the trip.
I figured he'd turn me down being it's only 500 miles into their trip home, then I ended up with company all day and and never gotta around to it anyway.

It's a good sign they are taking breaks, they'll be fine.

But they'll be burned out for a couple days after getting home.

Solid, and on behalf of my boy I appreciate that, Jeff. For what it's worth, your empathy and generousity means a lot. You ever feel froggy and want to take a shot at killing a bluefin, I'll get you a spot with us on a trip. Serious offer. Cheers.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like a great time, better luck next time on the sword's! Iv never been out on the ocean fishing, on my bucket list one day tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Looks like a good 'ol time was had by all. Thanks for posting.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Rooster7 said.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the story and pics, looks like a fun trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
'Hey brother, how did you cats make out on your sword hunt?' 'The trip was kind of a dumpster fire, but we had fun. Highlight was landing a fuggin' beast of a yellowfin, and dig this-- it was already taxidermied and had damn near a foot of rebar sticking out of its gob! Weird, right?' smile

I could see there was something fishy about that pic.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.