Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.

My brother in law, a friend and I ro'ed at our club on wed. nights, we were always busy and the other guys always wondered why their nights were not busy. Had members constantly complaining about the range nazi's on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

A good range officer never lectures instead he teaches. One thing I would never do is get after someone infront of his friends or family I would take him aside and have a chat with him, not once did I have anyone get upset with me.

My jod was not to boss, it was to teach and keep the place safe.

^^^^^^^^
winner

If the lessons don't take then take action.

The place I shoot most has all the rules posted.

You can blast away at top speed after you demonstrate your ability to keep them in the berm. And not chew up the equipment.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Never seen a Range Officer.
How do you ID one?

Well there is one in 45 within reach now.

But the one on the range?

He’ll be the one with all the buttons pinned on his vest and / or sash. ESP the lifetime NRA member pin.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is a generational gap at most ranges. When the oldies are there, they want plink, plink, plink. When the young are there, the range suffers. Lots of posts shot up. The younger set are paying their dues, let them shoot!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
So, what's the problem? I saw no loss of muzzle control.

There may be rules in place controlling such activities. The RO was probably just seeing that those rules were adhered to.

Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.

I have no love for the rangemasters at my range but with 3500+ members, a lot of them pretty damn new shooters, you see stuff you can't believe. I got written up last year. I was the only person on the 200 yard line and had the audacity to violate the rules by having a gun out of the case prior to the 0800 opening time and to not have an empty chamber indicator in it (it was a Ruger #1). laugh I was a menace.

I recall the days of being able to shoot at a small private range fondly, alas, not likely to happen here but our leaving MD clock is ticking.

I got banned from my outdoor gun range/club for three months last year for starting to shoot 22 minutes prior to official opening time (I accidentally arrived early, thinking the start time was an hour earlier than it was). I was at the facility completely alone (members get the combo to the front gate), but they have security cameras that the grounds keepers can monitor from their cell phones, that apparently alert them to the sound of gunfire.

Control freaks is right. It's like friggen 1984 there since they installed those things. Of course, my dues for those three months weren't returned to me, either, so you can add that as a de facto fine on top of a three month ban, for starting to shoot 22 minutes early. And I'm a 20 year member there. You'd think I'd get a warning about a first rules violation in 20 years.

I had to join a different range for those three months (and, fortunately, the other range lets you join month to month), so basically paid twice for shooting during that time. I don't like the other range as well, which is why I didn't just switch permanently.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That’s why I shoot at the deer lease.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Guys have done that at our range while I've been down range posting a target.

Bb

That’s what I was thinking, there’s any number of reasons why the range wouldn’t be hot at that particular moment in time. For one thing, I don’t see other guys shooting.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
9:30AM until Dark or if you use night vision 10:00PM.....shoot full auto any time you want.....10 ranges 25 yards to 200 yards use during open hours how you want as long as you want.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
City slicker range. LOL. The sportsmans club here has no such thing as a rangemaster. No range rules posted either. There is a sign at the entrance that says "range is for members use only". That is all. Go there during the week you'll have the range to yourself 95% of the time. On the weekend you'll still have it to yourself half the time unless it's the weekend before deer season. Like most country folk here I usually don't go to the sportsmans club to shoot, preferring my back yard or State land for such.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have been a range officer before and you see some really dumb stuff, too much to post here.
I can tell you that some rules are from the insurance stand point (like not full auto, armor p. rounds etc.) and some are zoning and trying to get along with neighbors like start and stop times.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Go there during the week you'll have the range to yourself 95% of the time. On the weekend you'll still have it to yourself half the time unless it's the weekend before deer season.

That's why I didn't switch to the other range (which is closer to the city). What you wrote above describes my typical range experience, too, which is in a rural area.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I cannot imagine shooting at a range...

I have my own range. The only public range i shoot at once or twice a year with friends is a state range and they only let you have 6 rounds in a pistol or ar magazine, the game wardens are the prick range master. But they dont follow there own rules. Seen one do a 30rd magazine dump, i walked up to him and said there was a 6 round mag limit on the range, his reply was that he enforce the law, I said since you enforce them then I guess you can break them. He wasent counting on that we all had cell phones and got his actions on video, last heard he was transfered.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I cannot imagine shooting at a range...

I have my own range. The only public range i shoot at once or twice a year with friends is a state range and they only let you have 6 rounds in a pistol or ar magazine, the game wardens are the prick range master. But they dont follow there own rules. Seen one do a 30rd magazine dump, i walked up to him and said there was a 6 round mag limit on the range, his reply was that he enforce the law, I said since you enforce them then I guess you can break them. He wasent counting on that we all had cell phones and got his actions on video, last heard he was transfered.

He thought he was Judge Dread.

[Linked Image from media0.giphy.com]

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Our range allows all class 3 so that wasn't very fast rate of fire!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a guy complain about my rate of fire once at the range. I was practicing getting two shots off with my double rifle. When he saw what I was shooting he was then much more interested in what I was shooting with than how fast I was shooting.

Carpe' Scrotum
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Insurance / liability was my initial thought. My club let’s us supervise ourselves. We have a range master but is rarely there and not required to be. When you go enough times to ranges there is much proof that many bullets end up no where near their intended POI. 😂 Or some fool decides to run down to target when there’s a hot line and everyones shooting(it really happened) Ever look at a ceiling at an indoor range? How about a steel target frame with holes(3 feet below the 50 yard target)?
It’s bittersweet at the public ranges. Experienced shooters don’t want Nazi style supervision. However, after witnessing some dangerous acts by shooters at gun ranges, this lifelong shooter has learned to digest it and at times prefer it. Some folks should get thrown off, others should not. In this instance I agree a Senior member could have been given a warning.

Last edited by Vinootz; 04/27/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Due to fairly close neighbors our private 40 person range voted on and ruled out full-auto, 50BMG, and Tannerite. I'm not sure if Ins concerns were a part of the rules, they were in place when I joined. The range/club originated in the '70's and apparently there's some manner of paperwork that was filed w/the state of MN regarding the number of members, etc. I don't have any full-auto nor a 50BMG. Were I to obtain either, there's over 100 640ac sections of Nat'l Grasslands 40Mi away.

Last edited by horse1; 04/27/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have a pretty nice range here, Lots of members and local LEO, USCG and even some guard units use it. No rapid fire though unless it's some kind of qualifying or match. I'm good with that. Every time we've had issues with "errant rounds" it's some idiot with a black rifle. Now if we could ban muzzle brakes...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steve
Had a guy complain about my rate of fire once at the range. I was practicing getting two shots off with my double rifle. When he saw what I was shooting he was then much more interested in what I was shooting with than how fast I was shooting.

Back when...I had two guys get after me for shooting full auto....I had to show them and explain I was shooting a REVOLVER.

That was pre-arthritis when I could really scoot them out of a DA K frame.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Yea, I know. Control freaks, Nazis, etc. But why would someone not follow the rules at a club they had voluntarily joined? If you don't like the rules, get them changed or just go somewhere else. Don't get ticked at a club for enforcing the existing rules. After all, you agreed by signing up. If you don't follow the rules you had agreed to, it says something about you, doesn't it?

Last edited by WMR; 04/27/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.

My brother in law, a friend and I ro'ed at our club on wed. nights, we were always busy and the other guys always wondered why their nights were not busy. Had members constantly complaining about the range nazi's on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

A good range officer never lectures instead he teaches. One thing I would never do is get after someone infront of his friends or family I would take him aside and have a chat with him, not once did I have anyone get upset with me.

My jod was not to boss, it was to teach and keep the place safe.

+++

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,427
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.