Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any gun is better than no gun.

My dad had a funny way of saying things at times. He told me once to "carry the 25 on the days when I could not carry a gun".

But if I could carry either a 25 and a knife, or just a knife, I'll carry the 25 and the knife.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I saw more than a few hoodrats drilled with .25 and .32 ACP and .32 S&W to know that I don’t want to get hit with one. I have a Beretta .32 Tomcat that I carry to church on occasion when wearing warm weather clothing.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’d rather have a 22lr.

So would I, and a precision one at that. grin

I got this for $20.00 from a guy who put it back together wrong and said it didn't work.

We sold bunches of these and Ravens back in the day. One thing we learned in a hurry was that people installed the firing pin/cocking indicator backwards, and the guns would lock up.

I knew that, and the seller didn't. BTW, he was an arrogant dick, so fleecing him was pleasant.

I tuned up the lips of the magazine and put the firing pin in right. It pops off 6 as fast as you can wiggle your finger.

It beats throwing rocks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lorcin was another variant of the Jennings/Raven as they went through various bankruptcies and were renamed but continued to sell the same design. I remember my Uncle a home based FFL selling them to a few friends wanting them as a novelty gun for about $35 after seeing them in the Shotgun News in the early 90’s

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I’d rather have a 22lr.

There is no doubt that the 22, is superior ballistically, to the 25.

Not exactly, in fact wrong if the two are compared with identical gr weight and barrel length.

Most comparison data is skewed as the 22 is usually from a 16+ rifle whereas the 25 is from a tiny pocket pistol.

They are damn near identical when comparing apples to apples.

Real life test here.

Last edited by steve4102; 04/28/21.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I love my 950 Jetfire , I load it with 50gr Fmj and 1.6gr Accurate #2. I carry it often.

I had a little Taurus 25 with the flip up barrel, but I gave that to a Buddy if mine.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever pistol is in your pocket is better than an empty pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
I’d rather have a 22lr.

Not exactly, in fact wrong if the two are compared with identical gr weight and barrel length.

Most comparison data is skewed as the 22 is usually from a 16+ rifle whereas the 25 is from a tiny pocket pistol.

Real life test here.

Sort of. In the real world nearly every .25 ACP round is a 50 grain FMJ and the pistols are usually even less reliable with anything besides 50 grain ball ammo. 22lr can be run with the new Federal Punch rounds, CCI Stingers and other common place bullets with better terminal performance.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I need a pocket carry I carry a Ruger LCP II in .380. I've spent a lot of time at the range with it and I'm confident in it. Not what I carry most of the time but it will do when needed.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I haven't seen a shirt that untucked wouldn't conceal my 6" 686 with an optic. I can hit a clay pigeon with it at 80 yards and I'd trust it to drop a Mule Deer at that range. I can also draw it and put 7 rounds in an A zone at 7 yards in less than 3 seconds. Much more important than any feat of modest skill I can claim, I can take it and participate in any kind of single or multi-day handgun training class I've ever heard of, so if my skills aren't what they need to be, it will be a good partner in my effort to improve them.

I have nothing bad to say about minature-size .25's and very small .22's with super short barrels. I do however have some doubts about how well they will work out for training -- if for no other reason than their high probability of rejection by the trainers. Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, ITTS, MAG, Rangemaster, Roger's, and countless other schools won't accept them for practically any of their handgun classes. The only exception might be if they had a special pocket pistol class. You can, of course, source your training by an alternative means or attempt to transfer skills learned on a larger handgun to the mini pistol. For myself, I found that the very small guns always resulted in a performance deficit compared to what I carry, train, practice, and hunt with. Since I've never had a shirt that wouldn't conceal it, I can't think of why I'd carry anything else.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had two friends, one tried to steal the others wife. so the one bought a raven 25 automatic , just like mine and shot the wife stealer to death with it .. the body was so well hidden they never found it.. it took about 20 years to get enough evidence to take the killer to court, but he is in jail now and will most likely die there, they never found the gun either.. so don't tell me a 25 auto will not kill someone..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My only input to this comes from an experience over a decade ago with a fellow deer hunter and a 32 ACP.

SuperCore was out for his first deer hunt. He was hunting with a Garand. He mentioned to me that he was carrying a 32 ACP for a "finisher." I explained to him that, should he need a second shot, it would be better to stand back a bit and put another round of 30-06 into the chest and not dick around with a pistol. Sadly, SuperCore did not listen to the advice. I was over on the next ridge on the Opener, and I heard "Blam!" then "Blam!" and then a series of "Pop! Pop! Pop!. . ."

I won't go into details, but when I arrived, SuperCore was quite shaken. It seems he had popped a nice doe at 15 yards, and then spied a small button buck following her. He shot him too. The doe was not completely dead, so he pulled out his 32 ACP and started putting rounds into her head. He emptied the mag to no appreciable effect and then left the scene to meet me back up at the house. We later found the doe a good ways away. She managed to crawl off and die in some bushes over 50 yards away. SuperCore found out the hard way that 32 ACP just doesn't cut it on a deer-- not even shot at 3 feet with a whole mag emptied into the skull.

My reason for relating the incident is to explain my reticence to carry a small sub-compact piece.

BTW, my EDC is either a 5-shot Ruger LCR in 357 Mag in summer or a Ruger P95 9mm in Winter. Around the farm, I now carry a P38 variant in a chest holster.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser fits in the shirt pocket, weighs 10 ounces when loaded.

Mine pushes a 90 gr Gold Dot 1100 fps with handloads.

Nice.
Does it frustrate you that folks will poo-poo your rig, while touting their 9mm carrying 115 gr bullets traveling only a tad bit faster?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
no amount of internet blather will convince me that a .25, .32 or .380 will satisfy me. This little 9MM SIG P290 is as small as I will go. Not any larger than many pocket pistols
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser fits in the shirt pocket, weighs 10 ounces when loaded.

Mine pushes a 90 gr Gold Dot 1100 fps with handloads.

I carry my LCP with the LaserMax everywhere I go since this crap started last year.

Every once in a while I have to clean the lint off of it. blush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Whatever pistol is in your pocket is better than an empty pocket.

Yep.

As my son told me one time, "Little holes hurt. If you don't believe me, get a splinter in your finger."

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by steve4102
I’d rather have a 22lr.

Real life test here.

I've seen 25 bounce off of an alligators head but a 22LR pentetrated the head

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the Bersa! I've been carrying one for about 5 yrs.

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I submit my opinion that a .380 ACP pistol is a 'minimum' caliber, despite the info put forth that a .25 ACP is 'adequate'.
Also my opinion.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,454
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.