Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
When I’m out and about I usually have Pancho, my Rock Island 1911 .38 Super close by.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Things have changed a lot since I was young. As others have said, you can now get a pocket pistol that's in 9mm. "Pocket pistol" used to denote pistols that weren't deep concealment, but were easily concealed. The P938, Kel Tec P9 and others easily fit into that category now, possibly along with the Hellcat, P365 and others. OTOH, there is ammunition available that nearly turns the 32 into a 380.

I don't like the extremely small pistols because most of the ones I've had seemed nearly dangerous to fire. Just not big enough to control properly-which isn't something much talked about.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
When I’m out and about I usually have Pancho, my Rock Island 1911 .38 Super close by.
That's my style of Pocket Gun.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
When I do carry a gun it's a 32 or 380 pocket pistol. Sometimes a 38 snub, but mostly the pistols.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
That's my style of Pocket Gun.

I kilt a hog with it down at Rio7’s place!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
White velcro tennis shoes and a .380.....the uniform of a geezer.

Mall walkin be dangerous yo

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The smallest gun I carry is something I would be willing to get into a fight with.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My “pocket pistol” is an old Mauser 1910 chambered in the mighty 6.35 Browning.

To say it’s in-accurate would be kind.

In fact, if you’d like to hit the broadside of a barn, or the barn at all, you’d best be inside it and hope it’s got a roof. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I might buy a Sig 365 this weekend

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A friend of mine was a Milwaukee Cop.He carried a Baby Browning 25ACP in ankle holster off duty.He was sitting in a bar when he was off duty and 3 guys came in to rob the place carrying 38 specials.He drew his gun and shot them all.They killed him and walked away .They were never caught and his name is on the Memorial Wall now as killed on duty.If he had a 380 or nine ,things could have been different.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
A friend of mine was a Milwaukee Cop.He carried a Baby Browning 25ACP in ankle holster off duty.He was sitting in a bar when he was off duty and 3 guys came in to rob the place carrying 38 specials.He drew his gun and shot them all.They killed him and walked away .They were never caught and his name is on the Memorial Wall now as killed on duty.If he had a 380 or nine ,things could have been different.

Or maybe if he had just stayed in his seat and remembered that at .25 ACP is not for gunfights but for last ditch arm's length transactions.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Huntz

Or maybe if he had just stayed in his seat and remembered that at .25 ACP is not for gunfights but for last ditch arm's length transactions.

I wouldn't rely on one for even that

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Pistols are not for pockets nor any concealed carry on account of they don't work when the slide can't do its thing. If you're a cop and get to point guns at people before they do anything you can disregard, but the rest of us have to actually be in danger to draw. Unfortunately most don't have a back yard range where they get to practice actually using guns other than simple plinking because it's not safe to do so on public ranges.

.32 shrouded hammer J-frame is your basic carry gun; pocket or otherwise. Hard to get so you'll have to settle for a .38 with -1 capacity unless you have big pockets and can stand a LCR or Colt with add-on shroud.

Tip: having such a revolver means you can have the gun in your hand inside a pocket without violating brandishing laws. When in a bad area in low light where you can't watch all angles of approach this is a huge tactical advantage. The shrouded .32 will fire all six out of that pocket whereas a pistol might fire one.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything that I ever needed to know about a .25 ACP was shown to me when a buddy showed up with a Baby Browning to shoot a porcupine. What a dismal display of lethality! He subsequently ended up climbing into the tree to get up close enough to the porky to need to stick the thing almost in it’s ear to get it to fall out of the tree.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Pistols are not for pockets nor any concealed carry on account of they don't work when the slide can't do its thing. If you're a cop and get to point guns at people before they do anything you can disregard, but the rest of us have to actually be in danger to draw. Unfortunately most don't have a back yard range where they get to practice actually using guns other than simple plinking because it's not safe to do so on public ranges.

.32 shrouded hammer J-frame is your basic carry gun; pocket or otherwise. Hard to get so you'll have to settle for a .38 with -1 capacity unless you have big pockets and can stand a LCR or Colt with add-on shroud.

Tip: having such a revolver means you can have the gun in your hand inside a pocket without violating brandishing laws. When in a bad area in low light where you can't watch all angles of approach this is a huge tactical advantage. The shrouded .32 will fire all six out of that pocket whereas a pistol might fire one.

Firing out of your pants pocket is not a good idea

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
Anything that I ever needed to know about a .25 ACP was shown to me when a buddy showed up with a Baby Browning to shoot a porcupine. What a dismal display of lethality! He subsequently ended up climbing into the tree to get up close enough to the porky to need to stick the thing almost in it’s ear to get it to fall out of the tree.

Any pistol is pretty much worthless with ball ammunition. I could tell you stories about armadillos and the 45 ACP that would make you change your sig line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
excellent post. among all the new gun owners are several friends. i asked if they were going to learn to shoot, offering to take them to the range. some have taken me up but most say ' oh i've fired a gun before'

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Charter Boomer 44 Special

LCP with +P Ammo

S&W J Frame

Why bother with anything else ?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Capacity vs. capability. If forced to carry only a pocket gun, would you rather have 9 rounds of 25 or 5 rounds of 38? It seems to me that's what it comes down to. Clearly Mackay Sagebrush is right, but there is always a scenario where more and bigger is to be desired. Everyone has to assess for themselves the level of risk he/she is willing to take for the sake of convenience and concealability.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by shaman
My only input to this comes from an experience over a decade ago with a fellow deer hunter and a 32 ACP.

SuperCore was out for his first deer hunt. He was hunting with a Garand. He mentioned to me that he was carrying a 32 ACP for a "finisher." I explained to him that, should he need a second shot, it would be better to stand back a bit and put another round of 30-06 into the chest and not dick around with a pistol. Sadly, SuperCore did not listen to the advice. I was over on the next ridge on the Opener, and I heard "Blam!" then "Blam!" and then a series of "Pop! Pop! Pop!. . ."

I won't go into details, but when I arrived, SuperCore was quite shaken. It seems he had popped a nice doe at 15 yards, and then spied a small button buck following her. He shot him too. The doe was not completely dead, so he pulled out his 32 ACP and started putting rounds into her head. He emptied the mag to no appreciable effect and then left the scene to meet me back up at the house. We later found the doe a good ways away. She managed to crawl off and die in some bushes over 50 yards away. SuperCore found out the hard way that 32 ACP just doesn't cut it on a deer-- not even shot at 3 feet with a whole mag emptied into the skull.

My reason for relating the incident is to explain my reticence to carry a small sub-compact piece.

BTW, my EDC is either a 5-shot Ruger LCR in 357 Mag in summer or a Ruger P95 9mm in Winter. Around the farm, I now carry a P38 variant in a chest holster.

My cousin learned the same lesson on a cow elk about the 357 mag loaded 125 gr jhp. He layed his rifle down and crawled into a thicket on hands and knees to finish the cow.

After emptying his Smith & Wesson, he crawled back out and got his rifle.

We lost a young local cop who was working as SRO, and was extremely popular with all the kids.

Jan 20 1994, A total POS 14 year old came over from Boise in a stolen car trying to screw some small town tail.

When our cop called in the plates on his walkie the juvie perp heard the report of stolen come back. The perp was carrying a 25ACP and managed to place four rounds into the cop's armpit at point-blank range. The cop was wearing a dept reqd ballistic vest. But it only covered front and back.

By the time backup arrived, our young cop was dead.

The perp is still serving 25 to life despite his age at the time of offence. He should have been executed before Dec 1994.

So yes, the 25ACP can be lethal. But there are better cartridges available in nearly identically sized packages.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.