Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 98 of 116 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 115 116
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Golf is a funny game, pretty much all the recent advice in here is both contradictory and right. Depending on your game. Yes, some will benefit most from hitting driver after driver on the range, some will benefit most from wedge after wedge.

If you, for your game, really wants to know how to improve you first have to know where you're losing shots. It's really pretty simple to start, on each hole, record the following:
- Fairway hit (in "no" then did you miss left/right)
- Green hit in regulation (for bonus points record length of shot in and distance from pin/center of green)
- # of putts on the hole
- Chip? Did you get up/down

Start there, tells you where you are losing shots, if you aren't hitting greens, why is that? Missing fairways or distance control or direction control?
To many putts?
When you miss greens, how often do you get up/down

Find the problem, then the solution

I make down +100, -100, and putt.

Tally that up when you’re done and it reveals much.

Could you clarify what you mean by what I highlighted above, please ?

I always record fairways hit, greens in regulation, ups & downs & total putts.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pros miss 40% of greens and fairways on average. Sometimes it is much higher at tougher tracks.
Pros are only 50/50 at 8' putting.
Pros hit bad shots. They simply do everything humanly possible NOT to hit two in a row.

There is much to be learned about one's individual game by tracking their stats in a detailed manner. Do it long enough, and you don't even have to write them down!
Hit 14/18 fairways? What were the 4 misses? Playable? OB? Lost? Wet? There are good misses and bad ones!
GIR are nice, but knowing your misses to the green were of the correct distance (pin high) is critical to knowing your yardages with club selection and course management.
Making fewer three putts makes the biggest and quickest difference on the card. Then eliminating penalty strokes. Those are two major hurdles.

Golf is a continual process. Accepting results and managing expectations are key.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What is your (collective) definition of a good putt?
That's important!

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WTM45
That's important!

Any two putts that result in the ball going into the cup.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The greatest ball striker of all time said that he hit a shot exactly as he intended about twice a round. He said that you should always play one more club length than what you thought the shot required because odds are much better you’ll mishit it and lose a bit distance than pure it.

I’ve found that to be sound advice and if it was good enough for him, it’s good for all the mere mortals who have followed him.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The greatest ball striker of all time said that he hit a shot exactly as he intended about twice a round. He said that you should always play one more club length than what you thought the shot required because odds are much better you’ll mishit it and lose a bit distance than pure it.

I’ve found that to be sound advice and if it was good enough for him, it’s good for all the mere mortals who have followed him.

GOSPEL.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave
That's important!

Any two putts that result in the ball going into the cup.

A wise man told me a good putt is one that starts out on your intended line and goes the distance you wanted it to carrying the correct speed.
Too many people just answer with "a putt that goes in the hole."
Bad putts sometimes fall. Nothing is learned from them and they do not reflect a correct technique was being used. Good putts can and often miss, but they make that two putt goal attainable!

If we expect every putt to fall, there will be a great disappointment that is hard to overcome. Agony!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The greatest putter of the modern age stated that you should hit every putt to die right at the hole.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Things have changed in the 70 or so years since that was said. Clubs are more forgiving, less distance lost for a modest mishit. I'll opine that "one more club than you think" is bad advice today. There are exceptions, but on most tough courses (or greens), up and down from short is easier than from long. This assumes one actually knows how far one hits it on a regular basis, some folks are naturally optimistic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Statistics prove otherwise.
Get with your PGA Teaching Professional. They will show you.

You say that like I haven't taken lessons.

You are wrong.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dvnv

Things have changed in the 70 or so years since that was said. Clubs are more forgiving, less distance lost for a modest mishit. I'll opine that "one more club than you think" is bad advice today. There are exceptions, but on most tough courses (or greens), up and down from short is easier than from long. This assumes one actually knows how far one hits it on a regular basis, some folks are naturally optimistic.

It might would be bad advice for him today since his average mishit was better than 99 percent of the shots you’ll ever hit. But for the skill level of everyone in this thread, it still applies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then simply say "full club!" wink

Full club wedges are not "gas pedal to the floorboard" swings!

No full swing should be.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by goalie

You are wrong.

I have no idea of your experience or coaching. I assumed you have a coach. The statistics I refer to are those gathered by modern technology such as use of Trackman or the Arccos system. Many teaching pros are using it to great success with their students. It quickly identifies strengths and weaknesses, and gives feedback for equipment needs.

I'm not exactly sure where you have the opinion I am "wrong." If it is with the statement I made about never making "full swings" with wedges, well, I stand by it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You are wrong.

I have no idea of your experience or coaching. The statistics I refer to are those gathered by modern technology such as use of the Arccos system. Many teaching pros are using it to great success with their students. It quickly identifies strengths and weaknesses, and gives feedback for equipment needs.

I'm not exactly sure where you have the opinion I am "wrong."

There's a reason most single-digit and lower index golfers have multiple wedges.

It's not because they don't have full-swing distances dialed in.

😉

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I do know why. I am a single digit, but unfortunately moving upwards.
I have a complete selection of wedges, various bounce and lofts, and I usually carry four inclusive of the AP2 PW.
Not a one of them gets a "full swing" regardless of lie or conditions.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Things have changed in the 70 or so years since that was said. Clubs are more forgiving, less distance lost for a modest mishit. I'll opine that "one more club than you think" is bad advice today.

Strengthening lofts has made the greatest difference in distance gains in newer equipment (irons specifically). So in actuality, club manufacturers have done just that for most golfers so they don't have to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then simply say "full club!" wink

Full club wedges are not "gas pedal to the floorboard" swings!

No full swing should be.

Correct !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

the other side to "one more rather than one less" comes with two other sides: first there's USUALLY more trouble short, and your are more likely to slightly miss hit and loose 3-5 yards than hit it perfect to the longer side of the range.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Things have changed in the 70 or so years since that was said. Clubs are more forgiving, less distance lost for a modest mishit. I'll opine that "one more club than you think" is bad advice today.

Strengthening lofts has made the greatest difference in distance gains in newer equipment (irons specifically). So in actuality, club manufacturers have done just that for most golfers so they don't have to.

I was referring to the distance of a pure shot verses a modest mishit, not how far a particular iron goes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

It might would be bad advice for him today since his average mishit was better than 99 percent of the shots you’ll ever hit. But for the skill level of everyone in this thread, it still applies.

You are painting with an ignorant brush.

Page 98 of 116 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 115 116

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 270cowboy, 58 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.