Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Huntz
A friend of mine was a Milwaukee Cop.He carried a Baby Browning 25ACP in ankle holster off duty.He was sitting in a bar when he was off duty and 3 guys came in to rob the place carrying 38 specials.He drew his gun and shot them all.They killed him and walked away .They were never caught and his name is on the Memorial Wall now as killed on duty.If he had a 380 or nine ,things could have been different.

Or maybe if he had just stayed in his seat and remembered that at .25 ACP is not for gunfights but for last ditch arm's length transactions.

No question in my mind there is offensive and defensive handguns. My Smith J frame and sig 232 and LCP fall into the defensive category. My sig 229 falls into the offense category. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 04/29/21.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
A friend of mine was a Milwaukee Cop.He carried a Baby Browning 25ACP in ankle holster off duty.He was sitting in a bar when he was off duty and 3 guys came in to rob the place carrying 38 specials.He drew his gun and shot them all.They killed him and walked away .They were never caught and his name is on the Memorial Wall now as killed on duty.If he had a 380 or nine ,things could have been different.

Or maybe if he had just stayed in his seat and remembered that at .25 ACP is not for gunfights but for last ditch arm's length transactions.

No question in my mind there is offensive and defensive handguns. My Smith J frame and sig 232 and LCP fall into the defensive category. My sig 229 falls into the offense category. Hasbeen

LOL

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
This is a good topic though I have not read all 4 pages but what I have read there is a good amount of sense. I am not going to debate or condemn anyone's choice on what to carry as I have heard it said the first rule of an armed confrontation is to have a weapon. One thing to think about when making the decision time of year and what clothing is normally worn. Cold places when people wear heavy clothing small calibers less powerful rounds may not pernitrate to meat or vital organs. I would suggest that what ever you decided to carry make sure it is a weapon and round you can shoot accurately.

He who strike meat first and most usually wins.
I have been told that you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.

These are my thoughts on this so take it for what it is worth.

Just a guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CZ 2075 RAMI fits in a pocket just fine. 11 in the piece and a couple 19 round backup mags in the off pocket.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I subscribe to the "any gun is better than no gun" theory.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you carry a gun to save your life why compromise? Pocket guns are a huge compromise and indicate an unrealistic mindset. If you aren't training on a regular basis and carrying a gun designed and proven for fighting you are rationalizing and depending on the incompetence of strangers.

Pocket guns are the comfort animals of self defense. We don't get to choose the fight. If you don't stay fit, practice for reality and carry at all times you are volunteering for victimhood.

MINDSET MINDSET MINDSET

ymmv

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Milwaukee Cops were actually on Duty 24/7.What he did was stupid,but what was expected of him.He was a Combat Marine and just thought he was invincible.Bad mistake,but he was my friend and I will not see him being downgraded for doing his duty.Back then if you did not do your duty you were off the force and would never find a job as a LEO anywhere.Could he have just sat there and handed over his wallet?What do you think would have happened once they saw his Shield?It was three groids.I expect they were never caught for a reason.Offing a Cop was a one way trip to hell.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Elmer Keith who hated the .25 ACP did say in one of his books, "Anyone shot with a .25 ACP was in need of immediate surgery." There's some truth that.

No matter most of the time I carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP with an S&W M60 as a back up gun. Sometime the situation won't allow suck so a Walther PPK/s .380 serves. Doctor's visits are not fun as firearms are not allow. Sometime one has to strip down and how in hell do I hide the gun stripped down to my shorts?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry my Bodyguard 380 in the watch pocket of my jeans all the time. In the winter I carry it as a backup to my XD40.

FBI stats say the average gunfight includes three rounds fired over three seconds from a distance of 3 yards.

With that said, in most cases a .380 is sufficient. However, we all know that the bigger the better and a bigger caliber has more stopping power.

Proficiency in any gun greatly increases your chances of surviving a self defense scenario. In the right hand a .22lr is deadly while in the wrong hands a 44mag would be unless. Practice practice practice....... IMHO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MPat70
I carry my Bodyguard 380 in the watch pocket of my jeans all the time. In the winter I carry it as a backup to my XD40.

FBI stats say the average gunfight includes three rounds fired over three seconds from a distance of 3 yards.

With that said, in most cases a .380 is sufficient. However, we all know that the bigger the better and a bigger caliber has more stopping power.

Proficiency in any gun greatly increases your chances of surviving a self defense scenario. In the right hand a .22lr is deadly while in the wrong hands a 44mag would be unless. Practice practice practice....... IMHO

Those "statistics" are very misleading and should not be taken at face value.

Beside, who says you are going to be dealt the "average gunfight"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I submit my opinion that a .380 ACP pistol is a 'minimum' caliber, despite the info put forth that a .25 ACP is 'adequate'.
Also my opinion.

I think the 380 can get most jobs done. Shoot a 95 grain HP in some wet soil and see a nice hole. Lot more dirt flying than a 22.

The ole dirt flying test

Even works with new dirt...

I like my basic LCP 380. I can keep it in my pocket. My small but bigger Ruger LC9s 9mm, not so much...

Both are capable belly-poppers, but the LC9s is a surprisingly accurate midget pistol.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When things really get bad and you're still alive you won't worry about concealment. The handgun won't be the first thing to go to because you'll already have a shotgun or rifle in your hand!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Last time I needed a pistol all I had handy was a tip-up 22Short Beretta.
I could have pointed a 686 at the fellow and got the identical result.
You laugh?
Want to catch a few in the cheek and tell me how it feels?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hookeye
I might buy a Sig 365 this weekend

Do yourself a favor and also look at the 365XL. Buy whichever suits your needs. I have both, both good guns. If I had bought the 365XL first , I wouldn't of had bought the 365.The seamless 12 round grip and slightly longer sight radius was a plus for me. The 365 is a fine pistol also, kept that one also.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love my Glock .380. Very small and light.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ringworm
Last time I needed a pistol all I had handy was a tip-up 22Short Beretta.
I could have pointed a 686 at the fellow and got the identical result.

Nine times out of ten, that will be true.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most of the time I’m in work clothes which are dress slacks or suit pants with a tucked in shirt or shorts and a t-shirt. We generally have two seasons, summer and not summer. I need something than can fit in a pocket. Yes, I know that if I am jumped by SEAL Team 6 or a mob of crazed Antifa trannies on acid, I am in trouble with my little .38 revolver, but I guess I’ll continue to risk my life in the name of comfort.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like 22lr because I know it penetrates well. I've seen 25, 38, 380, and even 9mm really schit the bed when it comes to penetration.

Any are obviously capable with the right loads. Some have a lot of good loads available and others like the 25acp simply do not.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yeah, just show it to them and they will run away. Good plan.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Yeah, just show it to them and they will run away. Good plan.

mike r
Just because it works for you with chicks doesn't mean it will with big, mean ex-cons.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.